IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

A few Spotlight Theatres construction pics have been posted to their facebook. Definitely good to see some actual progress. No matter how flawed this project is, it still has potential. In all reality, it's pretty exciting that Downtown Hartford is getting a movie theater! It's a huge step forward and a pretty big amenity for people living downtown to have within walking distance, or star shuttle distance or whatever. I just hope that it works out, but I think it has a good shot. It's actually pretty accessible to some of the neighborhoods just south of Downtown so it won't be depending on Downtown residents solely for it to be successful.

http://www.facebook....223766820990888

536792_411093738924861_223766820990888_1282519_1792287477_n.jpg

577504_411094892258079_223766820990888_1282529_1987561926_n.jpg

385738_411094445591457_223766820990888_1282526_1444127639_n.jpg

Progress is progress. Good find. The original finsh date for the theaters was late 2011. Nice to see is moving forward.

Eventually Front Street will begin to fill up. It's just a question of time frame. Once again, housing would have made a huge difference. The theaters are a good start. In the original proposal there was a bar/restaurant included with the theaters operated by Spotlight.

Edited by beerbeer

I love this project. To many of us in the greater Hartford area there is no good movie theater close by. Usually when I go to the movies I get stuck going to the sprawling hell that is Manchester. Once this theater opens there is no question that it will be my movie theater of choice.

Edited by MichaelQReilly

Fully agree! Since I moved to Wethersfield a couple years ago I never know what theater to go to. I dont go to many movies, but its always a bit confusing.

I have been to WH Center, Manchester, Plainville and New Park Ave in that time. Would much rather head to downtown!

Also, in a report on the old cceda from 2011 there is multiple mentions of phase 2 as residential and retail like Nitkin has said, but the fact that CCEDA was involved and aware makes me think this project is even more likely and maybe further along in planning than I thought

so, we shall see!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.hartfordb...019994/0/NEWS01

looks like this might be moving forward sooner than we think. I would love to see more than 115 apartments there... but what are ya gonna do right?

No higher than 6 floors is my guess

Looks like infinity hall is still in the works too. Those places have to help attract smaller bars/rests/retail and make the apartments much more desireable

http://www.hartfordb...019994/0/NEWS01

looks like this might be moving forward sooner than we think. I would love to see more than 115 apartments there... but what are ya gonna do right?

No higher than 6 floors is my guess

I hope the plan is still to use the old Hartford Times facade as the entrance to the highrise apartments. The pillars and mosaics would make a grand entrance to any residential building.

I hope the plan is still to use the old Hartford Times facade as the entrance to the highrise apartments. The pillars and mosaics would make a grand entrance to any residential building.

The Hartford times build it seems would be Phase 3

this 115 unit building is the one next to the Elks lodge.

I truely hope that the Hartford times parcel is a lerger project with north of 200 units.

I really think there is room for 2 towers here one being named museum tower (a popular name in many cities) the other being hartford Times tower.. or the times.

I really really really home the Hartford times project if it ever happens is a condo

The Infinity Hall mention is pretty encouraging. I'm glad it looks pretty solid. I think that having the movie theater moving forward is doing a decent job at improving the perception of this project. There really aren't that many storefronts to fill and the theater and Infinity Hall will both take up a huge portion of it. I'm pretty excited that they are talking about 115 units as only a portion of the total residential that will be built on the site. Having one 115 unit building with ground floor retail and then a larger one next door on the Hartford Times parcel would be pretty awesome.

The Hartford times build it seems would be Phase 3

this 115 unit building is the one next to the Elks lodge.

I truely hope that the Hartford times parcel is a lerger project with north of 200 units.

I really think there is room for 2 towers here one being named museum tower (a popular name in many cities) the other being hartford Times tower.. or the times.

I really really really home the Hartford times project if it ever happens is a condo

This all sounds very promising.

One thing that I don't quite understand (and this is probably why I'm not a real estate developer) is between all the subsidies this project has and the strong rental market downtown, how there aren't banks lining up to fund the next phase of the project. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yeah its absolutely bonkers to me too.

my best guess is that banks are staying away from commercial loans because of all the defaults. I also suppose Hartfiord has a bad reputation in the commercial realestate market as well. even if you have super high demand, and all kinds of assistance in development the bank doesnt want to own a project that they think will turn into section 8 housing. and lets face it, most bankers live in the burbs and think of hartford as scary and full of section 8.

IF the city/state can get some of the projects like this moving, it seems to me that there is a real chance that the market will be robust enough to warrent constant looks and development.

8 bew buildings of significant size added to the downtown mix of 12 or so significant residential buildings is a huge boos to the residential commercial market.

maybe with 20 buildings (if they are still at or near capacity) Hartford will be able to attract more national developers and lenders... but thats in 5+ years at the least if all goes well.

• 3 months later...

http://www.courant.c...,0,844850.story

Its official...

Infinity Hall coming to downtown!

500 seat venue.

"with creative cuisine"

no SF mentioned, and no mention of the location within Front Street.

It did mention a late 2013 opening. So assuming some dalays as always seems to happen.... Q1 2014 we should have a Front Street with some life!

It seems as though between the Theater and Infinity Hall, we will have 2 entertainment venues, but also 2 eateries.. so, this is basically 4 tenants in terms of the offerings.

Hopefully this news encourages a few other tenants to lease space since there will be a good ammount of draw as Theaters and concert venues are both destination style retail. There is no doubt that other options might develop.

and some pictures of the Theater nearly complets

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/sneak-preview-new-movie-theater-at-hartfords-front-street/

Additionally some BAD news: In an article about the new director of the CRDA http://www.courant.com/business/hc-haar-crda-freimuth-20120924,0,4244970.column

there is this...

"Speaking of Front Street, there is room for housing on the site, but the commercial buildings were built in such a way that upper floors of housing can't be added in the future. Dumb planning."

That is Just Maddening....

Lastly: In the an earlier version of the article above.. they mention that there is space for residential development on the property and if you recall we have already heard that there are plans for a building next to the Elks Lodge.

It was 115 apartments with something like 20K SF of retail. The CRDA is unlikely to get involved as their goal is to focus on "difficult projects" Take this to mean 101-111 pearl, 777 main, The Clarion, Colt, Capewell, The Bushnels rumored condo project etc...

Empty parking lots that already have significant state and some federal funding should be pretty easy to pull off if there is demand and such. So I am not sure how long we will need to wait on this apartment building...

Edited by The Voice of Reason

HBJ has more info...

http://www.hartfordb...29886/1003/NEWS

saying the hall will seat 500 for shows and 100 for dining totaling 600

also state is kicking in 1.3M. towards the buildout.

The funding would come through the Capital Region Development Authority (CRDA), the organization responsible for attracting new economic opportunities in the region, officials said.

From the same article

In June, the commission voted $1.5 million to developer HB Nitkin Group toward infrastructure improvements and other associated expenses for the second phase of the Front Street development.

I guess the old funding from the CCEDA is null now and new funding needs to be arranged through the new entity. So I guess they will be involved in the Apartment building as it was an origonal element and still falls under their jurisdiction.

I like ...

No, I REALLY LIKE that the city and state have made a habbit of providing funds for construction. not funds for general use or whatever. So the tax payer money is going towards building out a space from Useless empty building without even a floor to a music venue... Therefore if this company fails to make it in this location, the space is still built out and can be operated by someone else possibly later on.

Think about it. That 1.3 Million should help fuel some construction jobs, then the completed venue should employ some local folks, and then, the ~25,000 visitors per year (thats their average at the other venue) will spend money at near by establishments creating further tax revenues and also creating/enhancing jobs at those establishments and generating additional tax revenue.

I favor physical improvements to properties. because it tends to employ people locally doing the work and improve function generating better foot traffic and improving the critical maas of our downtown. (in this case the entertainment value)

From the Courant.... now updated

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/infinity-music-hall-to-open-venue-at-hartfords-front-street/

$5.2 Million project. So that $1.3M is kickstarting an additional 3.9 million in build out... Nice!

The concert hall and restaurant would be located on Columbus Boulevard on Front Street’s northeast corner

So from the Mariott this is the closest part, and will be visable from the Convention center. Nice move.

They look to have Leased 9,100 square feet.

With 9100SF on a main level, with a mezzanine adding about 4,000 square feet.

the movie theater is almost 19,000 square feet.

This means 28,000 is now Leased. but looking at the map I am trying to paste in here also found at http://www.frontstreetdistrict.com/siteplan.html The space on that corner equals about 12,674SF So Not sure if the 9100 SF is for the actual music venue or total space. It does however make sense to leave a small 3kSF bay there next to Infinity Hall much like the movie Theater did (as noted on the map)

siteplan-1.png

Also, Finally, they also mentioned that there will be an announcement very soon of a third tenant for the Property.

A resturant.

This has been rumored to be a Capital Grill. However when asked, The chairwoman of the CEDA declined comment on who the tenant is.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Damn I am full of info.....

If the 3rd tenant is a Capital Grille, they are pretty large places based on a quick search...

The one is Boston Started at 5,500 SF and thats the smallest I could find. it is now expanded to 10,000

Many are larger than 10,300SF

8,700SF in Paramus NJ

8,000SF Naples FL

12,000SF Seattle

10,735 Orlando

9,165 Ft Worth

15,000 Crystler Building NYC

Here is the Leasing Plan - it will go on the other side in the back. As for residential, I don't think it's too horrible not being able to build up - there should be plenty of room at The Hartford Times and the parking lot next to The Elks.

Hmm thats not what the article said.... interesting. I guess it will all be sorted out fairly soon.

This is truly great news for Hartford and it really is exciting to see Front Street finally pick up real momentum. If the Capital Grille lease actually gets signed this thing will be pretty full with 3 anchor type tenants. That should make it pretty attractive to some smaller tenants. I honestly think this thing is approaching crital mass as a viable retail district. I walk through it everyday on my way to work and just seeing construction and signage up is extremely encouraging.