IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

I am not sure the housing is necessary from a customer supply standpoint, but I think building this building will connect the development to the rest of downtown mentally. instead of walking through this lot as I have done 1,000 times people will walk past an apartment building, and stores. this added life makes the whole area much more approachable from a pedestrian standpoint.

I have seen the 115 unit figure since 2007 I think, and have no deviation, but boy do I wish this was a sizable building closer to 200 units!

I suppose I'll have to hope that the Hartford times eventually holds the larger housing portion.

The courant has a Q&A with the owner of Nitkin Group.--- good read, just wish it were longer.

http://www.courant.c...0,7966635.story

Helen Nitkin, 64, said those tenants will give the development the traction it needs to sign more tenants and will help propel the phase 2: 115 apartments, mostly studios, one-bedrooms and a few two-bedrooms.

regarding the financing being a done deal....

Q: The next phase is apartments. How are those plans going?

A: We're out in the market right now looking for financing, once that is secure, and we'd have to work on construction drawings, I would say probably within a year would start construction on that. It's our goal to do it sooner rather than later. Given the high occupancy rate in downtown Hartford, we'd like to take advantage of that. The residential supports the commercial and the commercial supports the residential.

So I guess it might still be a little but of a wait on this one, but hopefully not too long. The interesting this was related to another question about Phase III. The Hartford times building. They are committed to saving the facade and have no clue what the scope will be but likely to be housing over commercial. they do know it will be larger than phase 2 in terms of number of apartments

So we can be absolutely certain Phase 2 is as we have read several times and will be 115 Apartments and another decent chunk of commercial space. Phase 3 will be larger than phase 2. so we will have at least 231 housing units on premesis. but more likely 250+ I hope the market continues to recover and that they think bigger still and sooner :)

Phase III is a much larger lot based on satelite images, and will surely have another large retail component. The Hartford times building should be the place with a fancy steak joint in it, but I guess that will be in Phase I. With the facade it would seem a perfect fit though. Also I think Phase 3 should have a hotel in it as well as some mixed residential including more high end apartments and some ownership units...

This part of town reeks of wealth power and seemingly would do well selling some condos in the mix and having a botique hotel for out of town folks looking to meet with city officials, hitting the Wadsworth, or even walking to Travelers plaza, the govt building, the Hartford club, etc... not to mention the convention center.

one more question and its answer...

Q: How much space is left to lease?

A: We have 60 percent leased. There is about 25,000 square feet left to lease

so someone can do the math and figure out how big the signed but not announced resturant is.

Edited by The Voice of Reason

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to go Friday but had to pick my daughter up from day care and wanted to get home to catch the UConn game. I'm definitely going to try to see a movie there over the Thanksgiving weekend though. I walk past everyday to get to the convention center garage and it was pretty packed in the bar area. It looks great and just seeing lights and activity in that part of downtown is very encouraging. I will try to frequent this theater as much as possible and hope everyone else who wants to see downtown succeed will too.

• Like 1

In all of the articles I have read, there is no square footage given. We will assume its is the 8500 SF on the rental map.

One does say that there is still 12,500 SF Available. I just dont want to do the math.

I have to believe that this development is now at a break even point, so any additional leases will go to the bottom line. I truely hope they build Phase II Sooner rather than later. I love to see surface parking lots disapear!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am glad to see this for several reasons...

#1  With so many projects on the way it is CRITICAL that some get underway early ensuring more absorbtion time and a better change for the later projects to actually happen.

#2 The state portion of the funding is as I had hoped not coming from the CEDA but the old entity that had funded it like 8 years ago.  so that leaves more money for the other 5 projects and therefore a better chance that they will get built.

#3 Filling in a vacant lot

#4 It mentions that some of the retail is along Prospect Street.

This is honestly one of the nicest streets in the city.  I would love t see a subdude eatery here with outdoor seating.  Imagine a redeveloped travelers plaza with a public component as imagined by I quild and then a couple near by places to eat.. Awesome.  A coffee shop would work great here.  next closest is Duncan on State Street or maybe Cornerstone.  I am thinking you could pull good business here from Travelers and the city.

OK thats really it..

5 stories is short for a downtown building, but if it is 5 stories from the prospect street side, I do not mind so much.  it will be 6-7 stories on the Front street side. 

Also 5 stories is much taller than the elks club and is even a little taller than the Wadsworth and City Hall, so it is appropriate for the area. (I wonder if the top floor facing west will have a nice view over the Wadsworth of the park?)

Renderings would be great so these questions can be answered

The Atheneum has something like half of their permanent collection in storage or on loan to other museums. Years back they were planning a huge expansion to house these unseen works, but due to a shortage of funds, had to cancel. It would be outstanding if they could in some way build another museum to be part of this whole area. Maybe as part of of Phase 3 at the old Hartford Times building.

Luca, its actually more like 90%

That museum is way more awesome that people give it credit for.  Ive been 3 times in 2012 and every time it was completely different and every time the work was all theirs.. as in owned, not borrowed.

I am glad the Antheneum didnt do that expansion back then though because it would have killed them timing wise.  there have been smart to do the work they are currently doing..

fixing the existing building up and expanding gallary space is a smart move.  new roof, new HVAC and climate controll and water proofing the basement... KEY  absolutely KEY.   and because of this frugality and shrewdness, they have been able to acquire some new works as well. 

My belief is that the Hartford times should be built up as a mid/High rise apartment building with retail, and that eventually, City Hall should be acquired by wadsworth and the museum should expand that way.   City hall can be moved to a vacant office building. 

The city hall building is AMAZING and should be a museum not an office.  its sort of a waste to keep that beauty hidden.  Also, the city hall looks like it would make perfect gallary space. 

here is to dreaming.

I agree the natural way to expand the Athenuem is to make the current City Hall part of the arts complex.  It is a museum quality building.  it would also provide enough space to bring much of the permanant collection out of storage 

Then a new City Hall could be build in any of a number of locations. It could be added to the Public Safety Complex as part of a government plaza. If the post offece goes out of business, that could be renovated into a new and impressive City Hall. 

It's great to see that phase 2 will be getting started so soon. It's definitely heartening to see Front Street finally start to work. I alway had faith that it would work, even in it's scaled down iteration. It's in an area that really was just screaming for development for so long and now its starting to be the true extension of downtown that Hartford really needs.

Luca, its actually more like 90%

That museum is way more awesome that people give it credit for.  Ive been 3 times in 2012 and every time it was completely different and every time the work was all theirs.. as in owned, not borrowed.

I am glad the Antheneum didnt do that expansion back then though because it would have killed them timing wise.  there have been smart to do the work they are currently doing..

fixing the existing building up and expanding gallary space is a smart move.  new roof, new HVAC and climate controll and water proofing the basement... KEY  absolutely KEY.   and because of this frugality and shrewdness, they have been able to acquire some new works as well. 

My belief is that the Hartford times should be built up as a mid/High rise apartment building with retail, and that eventually, City Hall should be acquired by wadsworth and the museum should expand that way.   City hall can be moved to a vacant office building. 

The city hall building is AMAZING and should be a museum not an office.  its sort of a waste to keep that beauty hidden.  Also, the city hall looks like it would make perfect gallary space. 

here is to dreaming.

The Atheneum is the oldest public art museum in the US and its collection is certainly one of the most impressive in the country. The idea for using City Hall as another museum was floated a few years back, but never really materialized. Its a fantastic idea I forgot about. If 90% of the Atheneun's collection is not on display, that is just a waste! Imagine "The Wadsworth Museum of American Art" or "The New England Museum of Modern Art" right next door to the existing Atheneum at what is now City Hall. And while we are at it, why not move MDC out of their already museum-looking building and use it for "The Mueseum of US Political History" of which the entire collection has been in storage for years for lack of a home. Its a quality collection and biggest of its kind that used to be housed at The University of Hartford. Then (along withState House Square) you would have four quality museum spaces within two blocks on Main St. The area next to the MDC building, the vacant outdoor platform space could be used as a public space/sculpture garden.

And lets not forget about the impressive Colt collection of firearms that is split up in three different places that deserves a proper home for the public to enjoy.

Edited by Luca Brasi

heh

see my NEMoH thread :)

I really think Wadsworth will eventually get city hall when they are ready.  and thats about when the city will be ready for new digs as well.  it may take 10-20 yeas mind you.

your ideas are good though, just a cluster of museums rather than 1 building.

• 1 month later...

Phase II to begin in Fall

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/construction-on-front-street-apartments-expected-in-early-fall/

it says early fall, but lets just call it fall.

Also

In the first phase of Front Street — the entertainment district — Capital Grille has started construction in its space and Infinity Music Hall & Bistro has obtained construction permits from the city.

glad to hear it because I feat the Theater is lonely. :)  not really but I bet they will only do better the more neighbors they have.

Click the link... there is a rendering

also some info on Pearl

will post it in the appropriate thread.

Phase II to begin in Fall

http://courantblogs.com/ct-real-estate/construction-on-front-street-apartments-expected-in-early-fall/

it says early fall, but lets just call it fall.

Also

In the first phase of Front Street — the entertainment district — Capital Grille has started construction in its space and Infinity Music Hall & Bistro has obtained construction permits from the city.

glad to hear it because I feat the Theater is lonely. :)  not really but I bet they will only do better the more neighbors they have.

Click the link... there is a rendering

also some info on Pearl

will post it in the appropriate thread.

Great news. I have to admit that there were times I was skeptical that this would ever happen. This could really shape up to be a beautiful area of the city once everything is done.

Yeah, it is getting better, thats for sure.

The rendering looks nice too.  Hard to tell where that is from, but it looks like we are seeing it from

5 stories on top of a double tall ground floor filled with retail.  looks pretty good.   I think the view is from essentially standing at the entrance to the parking garage.  on the far right of the rendering I think I see the stairs coming down from Travelers.

So, this is essentially what I thought we might see from the description.   Basically 7 stories on the low side, 5-6 stories up on the high side near the Wadsworth.

I am not expecting an architectural masterpiece, and the site honestly does not need one.  I prefer 8 stories in the city center, but really, we are right there.  Lets hope they keep their timeline and fill up quickly.

Lots also hope that Infinity Hall and Capital Grille also do well and the three major retail tenents combined with this building project attract other tenents and encourage Nitkin Group to go even bigger for Phase III

I was psyched to see work get started on Capital Grille. I finally got to check out Spotlight last weekend and I really liked it. The Front Street Bistro was OK but the theater really is awesome. I always knew this project would work once they got something built, even if it was a little slow at first. I'm actually really excited about phase 2 and think the momentum has completely shifted now. Can't wait until phase 3. Seeing that Hartford Times facade incorpated is going to be pretty stunning if done well.