IN PROGRESS: Front Street @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

thanks for the confirmation Esq.

I too am extremely interested in what the leasing will look like with the Apartments coming online.  UConn is still a long ways out and frankly has a strange retail configuration if you ask me so Im less interested in regards to the strength of the district for entertainment.

I suspect we will see some swift leasing in the Apartment retail that faces the Wadsworth and travelers plaza area

Walked aound Front Street tonight.  Folks were out and about. Infinity seemed very busy.  So was Nix's which was loud and full. I ate at Ted's it was about half full. All the places had some activity.  Arch Street was doing very well but Bear's was dead, maybe a handful of folks inside.

That's just a snapshot.

You can see the potential of the place especially after the apartments are finished. It's not quite rocking yet.  But it's viable.

Edited by beerbeer

• 2 weeks later...

interesting to have that but not this Chipotle rumor on there

either way, both make sense and are pretty well likely a lock id say.

so there are 3 spaces left, the one labeled a Bank, and the 2 corner pieces.

OK, so one of those corners might be the Chipotle,

then of course there is the 35,000SF of retail in the apartment building.

I quite honestly expext that area will be open for leasing any day now because once the building is closed in retail tenents can actually start fixing up their spaces.

I had a beer at NIX yesterday and got to chatting with a server from Infinity who happened to be in there.  She mentioned that she heard about the Mexican restaurant as well but it was "Chipotle Like" and not necessarily Chipotle.  Also Nix's is a real nice place and they have a wonderful beer selection...although it is a little pricey ($7 for my bottled IPA).  You have to walk upstairs to use the bathroom which is kind of odd too.

As part of the IQuilt, the renderings I saw for that small street between the Travelers Plaza and the Wadsworth were amazing. the street was narrowed and the plaza was reconfigured to include a sizeable skating rink in the winter that would become a fountain in the warmer months. It reminded me of Rockefeller Center. Lets hope the funds are there (maybe a gift from Travelers?) to do this and it doesn't get passed over for lack of dollars. That would really tie the Front St area to Main St.

Hard to tell if the plaza is still elevated in that picture. Bringing the plaza down to Main Street level would make it more welcoming and creat an easier access way, a true connection to Front Street. I don't know if that is possible. I suspect there is a parking lot under the plaza and they need the head space (or something).

I don't believe that iquilt construction will take place on the plaza until the third quarter of 2015. That is when the scaffolding comes of the tower after the completion of the restoration.

Edited by beerbeer

The dialogue I have read, quoting Travelers is paraphrased as follows

Travelers needs to replace the plaza and to fix up their parking garage because its old and leaky and the execs expect better.

as part of this re-do they intend on removing barriers to the street and working with iQuilt

I took this as dropping it to one level, and the renderings (I have seen one from the North) back this assumption up.

this leads to a couple questions ill note below, but it has been mentioned many times that they want a ice rink and and fountains, which is awesome!

****How will cars exit the garage though? 

Im thinking they exit and enter on the East.  Just off of this rendering.

the plan is for an ice rink here and one in the park not far away... interesting

always thought the 2 rinks are interesting really.. not sure if one is free and the ther is pay

The raised concrete mall in front of the Travelers Rotunda and Main South (tower) building has been closed for two years and the signs inside say it will re-open next year. If all they were doing was shining up the tower exterior top to bottom, then there might not have been need to close the entire mall area. I am pretty sure it was confirmed that the motivator for the work was iQuilt just as for the Phoenix boat building area greenification.

I believe that the Wadsworth cafe will front this street as well so you will not need to enter the museum to dine there. The rendering looks like the cafe will have outdoor seating facing the rink/fountain. What a great idea. A small glass coffee shop on the plaza and a Christmas tree during the holidays would complete this scene. What a great design.

I'm pretty sure the rink in Bushnell Park would go away if this were built since the plan for Bushnell Gardens includes a restaurant in that area.

Edited by Luca Brasi

From the Courant 2012.

Although the restoration was originally scheduled to end in the first or second quarter of 2015, it has been pushed back to the third quarter.

"The rain in May and June, it really put a damper — so to speak — on what we were trying to do," Bessette said. "Weather's been the biggest challenge."

The work spaces of the building have remained open during the project. The observation deck, an exterior balcony area on the 27th floor for visitors, is closed during the construction.

"Everybody will be proud of the way it looks when we're done," Bessette said. The cast-iron work, he said, "is going to be pretty spectacular and bring a highlight to the side of the building."

The company employs 7,800 people in Connecticut, with the majority in Hartford.

Falvey, from the Hartford Preservation Alliance, said: "We're absolutely thrilled with the work they're doing. It's been around about 100 years, and it's great to see it's going to go on for another hundred."

After the tower restoration is completed, Travelers will begin renovation on its plaza in connection with the city's iQuilt program. The renovation will include removing the planters, which are leaking into the garage below, to create a flat, open space.

• 2 weeks later...

If the ice rink doesn't work out in that location, a perfect spot would be on Constitution Plaza in between the Travelers Plaza Building and the Hartford Club (if it can support the weight) - they are doing something there this week and it is empty (and looks exactly like the size of a regulation rink).

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7640466,-72.6713372,90m/data=!3m1!1e3

If the ice rink doesn't work out in that location, a perfect spot would be on Constitution Plaza in between the Travelers Plaza Building and the Hartford Club (if it can support the weight) - they are doing something there this week and it is empty (and looks exactly like the size of a regulation rink).

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7640466,-72.6713372,90m/data=!3m1!1e3

Does the city really need another ice rink when there is a free one in Bushnell Park a two minute walk away?

I am inclined to agree that 2 might be excessive

that being said, Id prefer one here than in the park.(I think)  

see a rink here will keep this area active at night and all winter.   the fountain will be a positive in summer (Hartford needs more fountains)

This activity will benefit Wadsworth Cafe, and anything that locates in the front street sretail spaces.

Maybe a food truck or two also.

The park seems to just benefit the food truck or 2

If there is demand (and there may be, Im fone with 2 of em.

Does the city really need another ice rink when there is a free one in Bushnell Park a two minute walk away?

...... just sayin', they want to put one on One Tower Square, and I don't think they'll have the room (plus, I don't think they can lower the plaza to street level b/c of the parking garage underneath).

Edited by Theophrastus Bombastus

yeah it makes me imagine that image to be more concept than substance

It always was concept, but I thought it at least included Travelers vision.

I thought the whole plaza was being rebuilt but it seems its just the planters removed (which is significant and removes many barriers to the street and will make it just the 4 steps or or whatever it is

If you can get this video to play it's pretty cool.  You may have to watch it twice for it to completely render.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/hartford+ballpark/@41.7637292,-72.6738297,11a,74.3y,3.76h,88.7t,1.15r/data=!3m5!1e4!3m3!1s0x89e65364a7fcfb83:0x17fa1efb307aa509!2e0!3e18

It the wadsworth/picture/movie at the bottom of the age.

If you can get this video to play it's pretty cool.  You may have to watch it twice for it to completely render.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/hartford+ballpark/@41.7637292,-72.6738297,11a,74.3y,3.76h,88.7t,1.15r/data=!3m5!1e4!3m3!1s0x89e65364a7fcfb83:0x17fa1efb307aa509!2e0!3e18

It the wadsworth/picture/movie at the bottom of the age.

I just get google listing things on the map related to Hartford ballpark like NB stadium and Ballpark Frankies. What am I missing?

• 2 months later...

http://www.chartweb.com/wp-content/uploads/NEW-Hartford-retail-ICSC.pdf

New leasing brochure for Front Street including all of the retail space that will be available at the Lofts and UConn. It's exciting to see phase 1 pretty much all leased up and to imagine what the Lofts and UConn are going to add to the development. I imagine that a large UConn Co-op Bookstore will be featured prominently on the campus.