Riverfront Plaza Building Expansion - Construction

GRDadof3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The theme of the arches (that are along the building where the new addition will be) will be continued on the new additon. there will also be some fancy wrought iron along the ground floor in all the openings. I know you guys would have liked to see alot more but consider the alternative of the hotel continuing the parking ramp for the entire length of the riverfront building...... i think this was the best option....

also FYI i saw the renderings for the hotel ramp and its not all concrete, they made it look somewhat like a building with brink all the way around... but none the less its still a parking ramp.

also FYI i saw the renderings for the hotel ramp and its not all concrete, they made it look somewhat like a building with brink all the way around... but none the less its still a parking ramp.
I would hope they put at least a little effort into making it look like a building, because it will be quite visible in the skyline at 9 stories. Now if we could get some retail in the first floor. :rolleyes:

The theme of the arches (that are along the building where the new addition will be) will be continued on the new additon.  there will also be some fancy wrought iron along the ground floor in all the openings.  I know you guys would have liked to see alot more but consider the alternative of the hotel continuing the parking ramp for the entire length of the riverfront building...... i think this was the best option.... 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The parking ramp is being done by Carl Walker, isn't it?

http://www.carlwalker.com/C1GetRecent.asp

Thanks for the update jschutmtu (does mtu mean you went to/are attending Michigan Tech?)

Definitely Josh. If they don't do ground floor retail, the only pedestrian friendly building on the street will be where Z's is, and the patio is only open 4-5 months a year. I hope the Alticor boys are lurking. :)

Joe

I would hope they put at least a little effort into making it look like a building, because it will be quite visible in the skyline at 9 stories. Now if we could get some retail in the first floor. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about the plans for an arched front to let cars in. Is this still the case? Any room for retail in new addition of the Riverfront building?

Joe

The theme of the arches (that are along the building where the new addition will be) will be continued on the new additon.  there will also be some fancy wrought iron along the ground floor in all the openings.  I know you guys would have liked to see alot more but consider the alternative of the hotel continuing the parking ramp for the entire length of the riverfront building...... i think this was the best option.... 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The parking ramp is being done by Carl Walker, isn't it?

http://www.carlwalker.com/C1GetRecent.asp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice site! I only hope the parking ramp will look more like the one constructed at Baylor University (why is it that universities get such nice parking ramps?) And hopefully not so much like the Roosevelt Parking Ramp in Lansing

What about the plans for an arched front to let cars in. Is this still the case? Any room for retail in new addition of the Riverfront building?

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The riverfront building will have an arched front to let cars in. No hope for groundfloor retail in the new addition... this is mainly dictated by the fact that the parking on the groundfloor of riverfront will have access to the alticor parking deck (in other words you can drive from one to the other). Its kind of a wierd design if you ask me but its the final design they came up with and finalized all the legal stuff with. It is to bad that they couldnt have retail all the way along that street tying the two hotels ino the BOB and the plaza towers. Especially since alticor got like 6 million from the city for new street scape only for people to walk by not really enjoy. but what the hell do i know about urban planning.

and to answer your previous question dad, i am graduating from michigan tech this december to work for a general contractor in the area. you can probably guess which one it is.

The riverfront building will have an arched front to let cars in.  No hope for groundfloor retail in the new addition... this is mainly dictated by the fact that the parking on the groundfloor of riverfront will have access to the alticor parking deck (in other words you can drive from one to the other).  Its kind of a wierd design if you ask me but its the final design they came up with and finalized all the legal stuff with.  It is to bad that they couldnt have retail all the way along that street tying the two hotels ino the BOB and the plaza towers.  Especially since alticor got like 6 million from the city for new street scape only for people to walk by not really enjoy.  but what the hell do i know about urban planning.

and to answer your previous question dad, i am graduating from michigan tech this december to work for a general contractor in the area.  you can probably guess which one it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, I hit that one! Could it be.........VB! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you have to go right to the source to get renderings (from the realtor's sign right out front :P )

3C1CFDF0584D11DA94BE374B18F73B1D.jpg

(looks like a fire station)

Is it true that the Riverfront Plaza expansion is the first NEW office space construction downtown since Bridgewater in 1993? I think everything since then has been renovations?

well your right, it is indoor parking. thats why it is grayed out. You can actually access the Parking Ramp next door from the new enterance. The openings will all have decorative iron work.

OMG! I didnt think about this, but what if the 1st floor is to be an indoor parking garage? That would explain what they would do about the lost parking spaces.

Gag! I hope I'm being paranoid. :blink:

yeah... it looks like that might be a little gate there in front of that opening in the grey wall in the front...

and grdad, does 70 ionia count as an office building?, first floor is vacant and intended for a restaurant but i do believe the 2-4 are offices. it was just recently built.

That will mean 4 parking ramps on that street :shok: "Honey, let's take a nice stroll down the street outside of our hotel tonight...... couughhh....whheeeeeezzzzzz.....ackkkkk :sick:

No kidding. Three HUGE ramps within a stone's throw of a new building and they STILL need to ruin their ground floor by building their own little parking area? Give me a break. :angry:

Yes, what is shown there is better than a blank wall....but not by much.

Archived