Riverfront Plaza Building Expansion - Construction

GRDadof3

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's this parking ramp seen here

Wait, so prime downtown property along Campau is going to be an eight-story parking ramp? I have to say convenient parking is difficult down there, but why aren't we integrating parking into these buildings? It's not a new concept and it would save quasi-river viewable space.

Not to mention it would produce taller buildings. I don't get it.

And..........this parking ramp will have 0 ground floor retail. The only thing appealing at ground level there will be Z's. It's really quite despicable on the part of Alticor and the city. It's what happens when city leaders see $$$ and feel they have to.

Wait, so prime downtown property along Campau is going to be an eight-story parking ramp? I have to say convenient parking is difficult down there, but why aren't we integrating parking into these buildings? It's not a new concept and it would save quasi-river viewable space.

Not to mention it would produce taller buildings. I don't get it.

Yeah...if you look around at many of the new projects coming up they all come with parking ramps where there should be retail space, offices, heck, anything other than parking. And on top of all these stupid ramps and parking garages, we still have a parking "problem". <_< It's my number one pet peeve with downtown.

It's just so short-sighted. Street-level retail brings in more $$$ on a consistant basis. Right now, that building's revenue is solely tied to parking revenues, which fluxuate depending on the activities nearby.

If they included retail, anything really (a Sprint or Cingular Store, or a mini-Office Max) they could produce rents from tenants that would help pay for the building.

Short-sighted and stupid.

In 20 years there's going to be a crisis of epic perportion for space and we'll see many of these come down. Hopefully they get it right the next time. Too bad they can't do it now.

I like that theory. I dont mind building the ramps, because they have to come down in 20-30 years anyway and hopefully by that time we'll have effective fixed route mass transit, less need for parking and more need for office and residential space.

And..........this parking ramp will have 0 ground floor retail. The only thing appealing at ground level there will be Z's. It's really quite despicable on the part of Alticor and the city. It's what happens when city leaders see $$$ and feel they have to.

I think the market will help to dictate when and where we see retail downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would say construction on the JW Marriott ramp has commenced Sparky05

You know, I took those exact photos this morning a few hours after you. For once, you beat me to it.

And I agree - it would be hard to argue the the ramp isn't rolling at this point...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived