New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

Just as rumored, there is an article in the November issue of Grand Rapids Magazine about the new Art Museum. Here is a "money" quote, in regards to the exterior materials of concrete, glass and aluminum:

"These materials have created a shudder among critics of the new design, some of whom have called it "institutional," "cold" and "fortress-like"."

Grand Rapids Magazine

You'll have to purchase your own copy to find out what Yantrasast's response was... ;)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as rumored, there is an article in the November issue of Grand Rapids Magazine about the new Art Museum. Here is a "money" quote, in regards to the exterior materials of concrete, glass and aluminum:

"These materials have created a shudder among critics of the new design, some of whom have called it "institutional," "cold" and "fortress-like"."

Grand Rapids Magazine

You'll have to purchase your own copy to find out what Yantrasast's response was... ;)

Ahhh. :( my Grand Rapids Magazine wont be here for another week and a half! Why can't we get it online like GRBJ :whistling:

Or "fugly".

I am all for modern architecture, but it has to be done SO well, nothing can be left to chance. The fact that GRAM hasn't even produced good renderings gives me that "oh crap" feeling, like even they no it is ugly.

I laughed when I saw a billboard today that had a rendering and said "Complete the Canvas" (for the individual capital campaign. I think I have a couple of other suggestions for their campaign:

Complete the (damn) renderings

Complete the Cavern

Complete the Project (some day, some year, some how, please?).

As I have always said, I will admit I was wrong if it comes out looking nice, but I give it 25 years before it is torn down and the city breathes a collective sigh of release (like we all did with the Police station/courthouse).

Joe

His response was to wait and see what it looks like built, before you past judgement. What a crock. If it is still ugly when it is built, it will be too late to do anything about it. Too bad that one of the most important empty lots in downtown is being filled by people that have absolutely no clue what constitutes good architecture. ie - how it interacts with the street level experience.

Well, I didn't want to give away the plot, but what a smug SOB (was my thought). Wait until the building is finished and then you can visit the building and be the judge? :blink: We should use that train of thought for all developments everywhere. Just wait and see... I can understand that art museums are doing these design layouts and use of materials to enhance the experience for the museum visitors, but what about the thousands of people NOT going into the museum. Any consideration for them?

BTW: Prankster, I thought you liked the design?

There was an article in the Press yesterday about the Art Museum running low on its fundraising goals:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/frontpage/pdfs/Re_Thursday.pdf

In essence, they had to reconfigure their deal with the city and the property it sits on to put together a bond package. I don't really know what the ramifications will be. If they can't get the bond deal, they'll have to stop construction.

I posted the front page pdf, just so you can see all the PARKING RAMPS in that photo :sick: And the little ol Custer Building in the bottom left corner.

There was an article in the Press yesterday about the Art Museum running low on its fundraising goals:

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/frontpage/pdfs/Re_Thursday.pdf

In essence, they had to reconfigure their deal with the city and the property it sits on to put together a bond package. I don't really know what the ramifications will be. If they can't get the bond deal, they'll have to stop construction.

I posted the front page pdf, just so you can see all the PARKING RAMPS in that photo :sick: And the little ol Custer Building in the bottom left corner.

No bond deal of any sort until a complete redesign has taken place!

I wonder if the funding shortfall has anything to do with the current design? :whistling:

Not only is it ugly and incontextual, it's under-funded and behind schedule too! :blink:

And this is interesting:

The problems follow last year's dismissal of the project's architect, London-based Munkenbeck and Marshall. The dismissal centered on disagreements about heavily touted design elements that were scrapped in favor of more utilitarian designs and conventional materials.

Workshop Hakomori Yantrasast of Los Angeles was brought in to revise Munkenbeck's plans because of what Ellis called concerns over cost and buildability issues.

The revised plan also trimmed the building's size about 15 percent.

The museum project has also been through three project managers and two construction teams since its inception.

Just curious as to what the fate of the old art museum will be.

As far as the architecture, modernism is not exactly my cup of tea. Some of my favorite museums/educational spots Field Museum, Addler Planetarium, Shed Aquarium(all Chicago) and Union Terminal (Cincinnati) all are, in part, memorable due to their phenomenal archetcture whether it be classical, gothic, or art deco. I would love to see some more of these types of buildings in Grand Rapids.

Ferris - Kendall College are looking to purchase it to expand their "campus" all the way to the Commerce Building >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:

A592310053AD11DA89D22FCD18F73B1D.jpgA7D2D23053AD11DA896A7D8F18F73B1D.jpg

A31AEF7053AD11DAB35D6ACB18F73B1D.jpg

The plan is to vacate Pearl and make a nice plaza. From their Master Plan

Kansas City's Union Station is another example of some awesome Romanesque architecture:

kcus.JPG

Just curious as to what the fate of the old art museum will be.

As far as the architecture, modernism is not exactly my cup of tea. Some of my favorite museums/educational spots Field Museum, Addler Planetarium, Shed Aquarium(all Chicago) and Union Terminal (Cincinnati) all are, in part, memorable due to their phenomenal archetcture whether it be classical, gothic, or art deco. I would love to see some more of these types of buildings in Grand Rapids.

Unfortunately I don't think you will ever see any buildings in those styles be built completely new. Renovations? sure theres plenty of them but a completely new design in those styles isn't cery likely. Its a shame too.

• 2 weeks later...

Kansas City's Union Station is another example of some awesome Romanesque architecture:

kcus.JPG

I like this style of architecture for train stations; it reminds me of Detroit's Michigan Central Station...

detroit10.jpg

(as well as Grand Central in New York)

...however, I think the center portion of the Kansas City station above is proportionally too large for the rest of the building (just personal opinion).

Regaurding the GRAM: Although I think that the building could be potentially a good design in itself (though who can tell with those renderings!), I agree that the design does not relate well to its surroundings. The new building should relate to the historic buildings across Monroe and play up its angular site.

Thanks for finding those renderings GRDad. But someone please assure me they wouldn't seriously do that to the Commerce Building! :blink:

Does anyone know the history on the decision to move and expand the GRAM? Are they really running out of space at the current location? Or is Ferris just itching to spread its wings and the timing seemed right?

Dadof, we need to have a quick lesson in architectural styling here!! :P

The Kansas City Union Station and other buildings that have been mentioned by others like the Michigan Central Station are not romanesque in style.

Their particular style is Beaux Arts Classicism. This was the style of McKim Mead, & White, Daniel Burnam, Warren & Wentmore, and many other of their contemporaries.

Romanesque fell out of fashion around 1100-1200 AD. :D

Nitro

Yeah no kidding! I hope that design for that building is some kind of joke. :huh:

Not sure if it's designated a historic building, but any changes to the outside structure would have to pass the Historical Commission first if it is on the list. And knowing the way they operate, it will be a cold day in h@!! before they let that happen.

Dadof, we need to have a quick lesson in architectural styling here!! :P

The Kansas City Union Station and other buildings that have been mentioned by others like the Michigan Central Station are not romanesque in style.

Their particular style is Beaux Arts Classicism. This was the style of McKim Mead, & White, Daniel Burnam, Warren & Wentmore, and many other of their contemporaries.

Romanesque fell out of fashion around 1100-1200 AD. :D

Nitro

I can see were there may have been a mistake or mis-labeling of the style. Beaux Arts is of course inspired by classical forms of architecture, but also there could have been a confusion betwwen that and Richardsonian Romanesque

oakesames_02.jpg

which also employs pominent use of arches as in the train station examples.

Although I'd like to make the distiction that when I said I liked the style of the stations I was reffering more to the arched window and collumn form rather than the Beaux Arts Styling. There is something about those windows and the accompanying vaulted cielings inside that I like.

Archived