New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

Somone mentioned this already in another thread, I just can't find it.

What is the purpose of all those meticulously placed holes in the walls? Does it serve a functional purpose? Or just a design purpose. Someone ellaborate/elighten me please?

It was also mentioned somewhere else (I'm not looking for it) that other concete buildings had it as a design feature... i think.

EDIT: I lied, here it is: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=203094

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the purpose of all those meticulously placed holes in the walls? Does it serve a functional purpose? Or just a design purpose. Someone ellaborate/elighten me please?

I think they serve two purposes:

1: to help dry the concrete

2: to be able to check on the rebar while the concrete is drying, sometimes these holes end up being filled with a grey putty type material which the chemical makeup is completely unknown.

I think they serve two purposes:

1: to help dry the concrete

2: to be able to check on the rebar while the concrete is drying, sometimes these holes end up being filled with a grey putty type material which the chemical makeup is completely unknown.

They are actually there because they use them to fasten the two sides of the form board together while the concrete is being placed. they are left over holes from where the "wall ties" were placed. Without them the forms would blow apart because of the pressure caused by placing that much concrete on top of itself.

it's already been noted, but...both. yes, they are there to hold the forms together during the concrete pour. they are also a design feature. the design architect worked under japanese architect tadao ando (one of the most decorated architects in the world), whose palette is typically concrete and wood and glass. typical ando:

tadao%20ando-infografia.jpg

you...um...may notice some similarities to the design concept for the art museum... :)

it's already been noted, but...both. yes, they are there to hold the forms together during the concrete pour. they are also a design feature. the design architect worked under japanese architect tadao ando (one of the most decorated architects in the world), whose palette is typically concrete and wood and glass. typical ando:

you...um...may notice some similarities to the design concept for the art museum... :)

I believe the holes will be plugged at the museum. The face of the plug will be about 1/4" below the face of the wall, so the pattern of circles will remain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still not convinced by the look of the one rendering we've seen,

but I am getting excited at GR having an art museum that isn't

retro-fitted to contain art but is being built specifically for the

site to house art. I will grow to love it, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else look at this project and have a problem defining the space or visualizing the final product. In other projects (JW) you can infer the final product, but with this it just looks so random. I know that is due to the design...but I thought I would be able to recognize some notable features. Are we sure they know what they're doing over there? Eh, all well.

I agree, that and it has taken them so long to get this far it's amazing, it's going to take them more than two years to finish this project. S-curve rebuild happened in ten months.

This is not a cookie cutter building. There is so much more than 4 walls a floor and a roof plus Rockford is the CM.

Archived