New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

The image was just an example of a big blank wall with nice material. It actually is a blank wall because that parking deck was designed to go higher.

How does UPGR feel about the library addition?

I like it. The stone is textured and has a nice tone to it. There are windows all along the ground floor. The blue glass above stands apart from it, and as you walk along the building, the glass above is transparent so it draws your gaze up to see the inner workings of the library.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was she asked and did she approve? I hadn't heard that.

I had an opportunity to sit next to her at a lunch when she was first commissioned to do The Big "O". At the time she was excited at the possibility of the new courthouse being built on this property. It too would have been an "object" building that would have oriented its front door towards the park. I suspect that she would be pleased with the western side of the Art Museum.

I had heard that she was called to consult on the landscape plan so it blends with her park.

From what I've heard, they have to consult her on anything around the park. When they erected the Vandenberg statue the Press said that they had to consult her and get approval. I don't know how she wrote that into the contract, but I need to get her lawyer... ;)

Was she asked and did she approve? I hadn't heard that.

I had an opportunity to sit next to her at a lunch when she was first commissioned to do The Big "O". At the time she was excited at the possibility of the new courthouse being built on this property. It too would have been an "object" building that would have oriented its front door towards the park. I suspect that she would be pleased with the western side of the Art Museum.

Archived