New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's definately progressed considerably since the last time i was downtown 2 months ago. Maybe it just seems slow because the JW is rising so fast. *shrug*

the main tower is rising fast, but the short-rise part (the ballroom area), seems to be taking a while.

OK, define "spandrel" for those of us who aren't architectural experts...

If you put a film or paint on the back side of glass so it becomes opaque or translucent it is spandrel glass. Look at the Spectrum Heart Center. You can easily tell which glass is vision glass and which is spandrel glass. It's even more obvious at night because the light only comes through the vision glass.

How much of the building will be covered in spandrel glass? Will the concrete that remains receive some sort of finishing coat or remain as is?

I for one am excited to see how the light boxes look and the materials they use. I always said it'll come down to the materials, and I like the spandrel glass. :thumbsup:

Joe

As far as the concrete goes, I think I can illustrate it with the image below...

216780191_16eb025839_o.jpg

The finished surface is anywhere that the concrete has those pockmarks from the formwork ties. They may add a clear sealant to it, but I could be wrong. The unfinished concrete is anywhere that you see that checkerboarded look where they weren't so precise with their forms. Those areas probably serve some structural function and will get coverred over with some other material.

sparky, thanks for the photo, fantastic panorama!

Wait, so the concrete with the holes is finished as is, or are the holes used to hold that glass to the wall, and will be a finished surface?

-nb

I am not an architect but I believe that the concrete with the holes are finished. The unfinished concrete that golscorer pointed out would get some sort of cover.

Archived