New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

wouldn't GRAM on that map be between Water and Justice? Part of the Circle was once water, and the hotels definately were water/island, but GRAM is located where land has always been, whereas the description suggests the GRAM is located where there once was water.

Also, the whole "Park to the SW, Monroe Center to the NE" would require it to be located completely on the sidewalk along the two. =p Maybe it was just a typo, as the park is NW, but that still doesn't make them look very good. If they can't get location right, I'd hate to see what their finished building would be like. Tower of Pisa, anyone?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Press today states that the museum has now passed the $70 Million fundraiser mark, and that 17 individuals, companies, trusts and families each donated $1 Million+. Is this town great or what??? I believe the only portion of this project that was paid for with taxpayer dollars is the lot donation by the DDA. I think that's pretty much unheard of around the country, where most civic buildings are taxpayer funded.

Anyone else know the national trend? I know most stadium projects around the country are heavily funded by the cities, and are very contentious because of the added debt load.

Since the 80's the trend has been fewer Federal and State dollars and more private dollars funding of the arts. It's just that simple. Look at Millennium Park in Chicago--$475 million project half of which was paid for by private donors--of which approximately 40 donated $1 million+.

Then there are places like Meijer Gardens which is completely funded by private donations and admissions.

This type of funding creates considerably more civic ownership for arts projects than funding through tax dollars, which is obviously more impersonal by nature.

Grand Rapids is fortunate to have so many committed families that contribute to projects like this, large and small. It's their help funding projects like the GRAM, Civic, Ballet, FMG that make us world-class town.

What's in the Fort Knox boxes next to the site...or is that an event sponsorship someone forgot to pick up?

They were a sponsor of the Gazelle Sports Bridge Run on Saturday Morning..probably left over from that.

A great run, by the way!! Gotta love running around downtown with 600 other people! :D

It does have that same Apple reflective quality. There will still be quite a bit of exposed concrete, with some of these semi-reflective glass panels mixed in. You can tell where the concrete will be exposed by the little holes. Anywhere the concrete is rough looking with no holes will most likely be these panels or glass (I believe is how it was explained).

Good morning!

252419843_30eacfff7b_o.jpg

It does look like they've switched quite a bit of the concrete for the glass panels though. Here's Munkenbeck's original design looking at the Southwest side:

252433555_4f0cd3fe19_o.jpg

and how WHY redesigned it:

237979276_008c799b35_b.jpg

Here's Munkebeck's NE side at Monroe Center & Ionia:

252438958_605381eb0d.jpg

and how it's coming together (not as much concrete as I had thought).

216157872_e13d28bc30_b.jpg

(sparky's)

With the green being the reflective glass panels, and the blue being transparent glass. Maybe someone with some sketchup skills can do a better job.

252446275_c60eeda94d_o.jpg

Archived