New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

Ding ding ding! We have a winner

It is indeed a full glass wall with an interior louver/shade system. That space may end up being a glass oven in the summer. Should be interesting to see how well that shading is going to work

Thanks for the info jbr12! If it were on Louis (SW), I'd be worried. On Ionia, it probably won't be so bad. The worst sun in the Summer is from about 2 - 7, which at that time probably won't be shining in this glass (or just a small slit). As you said, we shall see.

And mp, that's OK. I didn't realize it was the stairs until this week. I too thought it was another balcony until I noticed the same curve as the steel beam that they installed. :blush:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is indeed a full glass wall with an interior louver/shade system. That space may end up being a glass oven in the summer. Should be interesting to see how well that shading is going to work

C'mon Jason, didn't you learn anything in ET from Moji about daylighting? The harshest solar heat gain is from the south and west. That wall faces east and is going to be shaded from that low early morning sun by other buildings. At the angle the sun will hit that wall, the louvers will reflect and diffuse the light into that gallery. The louvers were probably left off at the first floor for a visual connection between interior and exterior.

...wait, what am I saying, no one learned anything from Moji

Ahhh, see I still don't have my orientation when I'm downtown yet... I just snuck a peek at the drawings today and didn't really pay attention. So I stand corrected since this isn't on the south side :P

And you are correct... NO ONE learned anything form Moji

That pretty much puts at ease any fears, expressed way early in this thread, of that side of the building looking like a solid concrete bunker.

It appears that the roof over the front of the museum is getting ready to be put together. It was my understanding, that like most of the building, it will be made of concrete. Is this the case? Can someone explain how that is going to come together?

Yeah, it'll be concrete, they'll pour the slab, let it set, pull the formwork and scalfolding away and it'll look like this...

PARK%20ENTRANCE.jpg

I walked along the Monroe Center and Rosa Parks Circle sides today, and it's really cool. Even before it's completely finished, the design makes you want to go in and explore. It's hard to see in the rendering but the roof does not go all the way back to the East, so it leaves sort of a light-filled courtyard (you can see trees in the courtyard in the rendering). And the roof is taller than I expected it to be.

280046611_4dd58400d2_o.jpg

This thing is becoming to get a LOT bigger than I thought it would be. The height will be very nice here. The 3 tower thingies in the back would look great against a backdrop of tall buildings.

I think its also looking a lot better then the rendering showed as well. I suppose I'd rather have the building surpass the rendering, then failing to meet them.

But I do agree, it looks larger then I anticipated.

• 2 weeks later...

Driving past the museum today I noticed workers were adding glass panels to the outside wall facing Monroe Center, similar to the side already completed facing Louis. Also saw someone with a camera and tripod snapping some photos. It'll be interesting to see if they end up on UP.

I ran across this by accident today. I wonder if anyone here has ever seen these. Linky

William McDonough was one of the finalists for the design competition the GRAM held back in 2002. These are his renderings for the building.

I'd love to see a McDonough building around here but I'm glad they didn't build this design. All these wave shaped buildings in town would make me seasick..........

I ran across this by accident today. I wonder if anyone here has ever seen these. Linky

William McDonough was one of the finalists for the design competition the GRAM held back in 2002. These are his renderings for the building.

I'd love to see a McDonough building around here but I'm glad they didn't build this design. All these wave shaped buildings in town would make me seasick..........

Yes, if you look a little further back, I already posted this link. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived