New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the Grand Plaza parking ramp.

Ah, that makes sense. I knew it wasn't the Campau ramp because of the angle. BTW, I'm loving the new paint job on the Ledyard Building.

In other news:

Art Museum poised for new life

The museum's address will change to 101 Monroe Center NW on Friday, and the staff will begin transferring its offices after the holidays. Then, a tornado of activity will descend on the 15 full-time and 15 part-time employees of the museum as they learn to juggle two buildings at once.

Anyone going to the new Christmas tree lighting Friday evening?

Although we can't see what's in our package for several months, Friday's tree lighting -- complete with carolers from St. Cecilia Music Society and Grand Rapids Community College and hot cocoa provided by Tre Cugini -- symbolizes the first step in the gradual unfolding of what museum director Celeste Adams calls a "gift to West Michigan."

Although we can't see what's in our package for several months, Friday's tree lighting -- complete with carolers from St. Cecilia Music Society and Grand Rapids Community College and hot cocoa provided by Tre Cugini -- symbolizes the first step in the gradual unfolding of what museum director Celeste Adams calls a "gift to West Michigan."

Meet-up!

Actually, I have a gig...an office Xmas party titled "Ho Ho Hoedown." Can't wait!

If you don't like the new art museum...count your blessings.

Seeing the Seediness, and Celebrating It <LINK to New York Times review of Detroit's Museum of Contemporary Art.

"But the design springs from a profound rethinking of what constitutes urban revitalization. Designed by Andrew Zago, its intentionally raw aesthetic is conceived as an act of guerrilla architecture, one that accepts decay as fact rather than attempt to create a false vision of urban density. By embracing reality, it could succeed where large-scale development has so far failed."

Now there's a commitment to the future of the city.

30urba_CA1.600.jpg

Designed by Andrew Zago, its intentionally raw aesthetic is conceived as an act of guerrilla architecture, one that accepts decay as fact rather than attempt to create a false vision of urban density.

I'm sorry. But this "gorrilla architecture" is absolute crap. One doesn't have to read too far between the lines that the architect was ethier too lazy the day he -Ha! Ha! designed this contemporery art building in Detroit to put out somthing worth while. or is just an all out slop artist.

Oh but wait a minute. Its not the building. Its the meaning and the philishopical mumbo jumbo behind the building that makes the statment. Be that the case, I'll intice my local contempory art institute to move into the old Ralph's Supermarket just down the road from me which as been rotting in a vacant state for several years and not do a thing to refurbish it, throw in some arbitrary artsy statement, and then I'll proclaim myself as the world's greatest architect.

I know I'm ranting but B.S. like this really gets under my skin esp. when I'm paying an arm and a leg to attend art school to learn how to be a real artist with real art skills. :angry:

Yah, I'm baffled by the MOCAD too. It's just 2 blocks from my apartment and I pass it every day. When I first saw the graffiti, I got concerned. Actually, my first concern was when it was announced that that particular building was going to be used as the museum. I put on my W.T.F. face.

Anyway, I don't notice the graffiti any more really, mainly because there is a fake person hanging off the side of the building with a spray paint can in his hand, in which his arm moves back and fourth like he's painting the side of the building. In fact, some crazy lady was baffled by it as I passed her today. She thought it was real...but then again she was probably on crack...eek!...

Anyway, my main point is that I hope this is just temporary and that the facility will expand or upgrade. Supposedly, it is in the location that it is because the owner of the Whitney Restaurant (across the street) wanted the museum adjacent to the restaurant. There is a really large surface lot next to the building (to the right in the picture) and me thinks that is where the museum will end up in the future.

By the way, you can see the man hanging off the building on the far right hand side in that picture. I still have no idea what the letters spell out. Anybod know?

No idea.

The actual interior of the building seems intriguing, and from the sounds of it, it could be pretty cool. Sort of like an underground art museum of sorts.. I know it seems weird that such a thing would be underground, but considering the perception of detroit, it kinda fits maybe. As for improving Detroit though, it's only going to make it worse. Even on the avenue for the arts here in GR.. those few buildings that have been turned into canvases, until I found out the artistic nature of the area, I had figured the area was in a state of ruin, covered by countless graffiti which nobody cared to take care of, I can't imagine the exterioir of the building there in Detroit would be any different.

I read Ouroussoffi's review this morning. I hate this museum and think it's irresponsible to "assume decay as a fact." It implies that it's permanent and unchangable which is absolutely wrong.

This won't last. Even MoMA's temporary "warehouse" location in Queens was just that, temporary and fleeting.

I wonder if the blue rectangle is supposed to be reminiscent of the "light blocks" on top of the new museum?

The "g" looks a little crowded, but otherwise not bad at all. I like the simple design.

Yep, and the font color is concrete-ish. It also probably fits better on the Museum's stationery and other SWAG than the old logo.

Archived