New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

Those vertical beams look great!

I agree. I can't believe the haters out there haven't chimed in with some comment about it looking like a jail cell.

APK, I was going to correct you and say that there is no such thing as a vertical beam, that columns are vertical and beams are horizontal, but then I got to thinking... those steel members are going to be supporting more lateral forces, because of wind pushing on the glass, than vertical loads, caused by the weight of the roof and any snow accumulation. So in a sense, they really are beams oriented vertically. I know, I know... I'm a total dork. Accusation accepted.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are the 'vertical beams' going to be exposed with windows? If so, it'll provide some nice transparency on that side.

Joe

I agree. I can't believe the haters out there haven't chimed in with some comment about it looking like a jail cell.

APK, I was going to correct you and say that there is no such thing as a vertical beam, that columns are vertical and beams are horizontal, but then I got to thinking... those steel members are going to be supporting more lateral forces, because of wind pushing on the glass, than vertical loads, caused by the weight of the roof and any snow accumulation. So in a sense, they really are beams oriented vertically. I know, I know... I'm a total dork. Accusation accepted.

So are the 'vertical beams' going to be exposed with windows? If so, it'll provide some nice transparency on that side.

Joe

Yes, Joe. Here is that atrium area from the inside. It looks like windows on the first floor.

Atrium%20Court-large.jpg

I had another thought. I really think the art museum will look spectacular at night, with the transparent glass and the interior spaces all lit up, and the three lanterns on top. Question: Are the cream-colored translucent panels on the outside going to be illuminated or backlit at all? golscorer? That would be an interesting look.

251482576_878c3125c1_b.jpg

No, I believe it's Beta Design Group.

Boy, that is cool looking Mark:

post-2672-1166450397_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing the square "rack" in the middle will suspend the light?

Boy - if I had only read the post above from this weekend I would have had a clue. :huh: I didn't catch that Beta was the local architect before. :blush: Don't know why I thought Design Plus. Do you guys have floor plans that you can post?

Yes Jeff, the frame work does look cool! It's nice to see the details come together.

Awesome pics sparky! The metal framework is quite interesting. It looks like they are keeping the "inverted prisms" that Munkenbeck&Marshall originally designed for the light towers. I wonder what affect those will have on the light as it passes through? Fascinating.

328185425_eef50bec78_o.jpg

In another thread, we discussed the findings in the documentary referenced below:

This video documentary produced by a graduate of UofM's Urban Planning school provides some specific insights at to what creates a lively downtown, focusing on downtown Ann Arbor's success:

http://www.mlive.com/aanews/video/flash/in..._livelydowntown

(19 minute video)

In this documentary, Westphal discusses the importance of pedestrian scaled buildings along the sidewalk edge and how these buildings help make the downtown a special place to be.

He talks about narrow buildings, storefronts, activity from the building spilling into the public realm, and absolutely no faceless blank walls or overscaled structures.

Other items include visual queues to entice the pedestrian to linger and to ponder what is ahead, and having details that allow the pedestrian to "participate" with the building.

The bottom line is that the downtown needs to attract a crowd, maintain the crowd and give a perception of hustle and bustle. This can be accomplished by slowing people down on the block.

Will this building accomplish any of this? One could argue that it is a civic use and as such can be given latitude, but ultimately the shear fact that it is on the one street that has a semblance of an urban core should trump that.

Will this building accomplish any of this? One could argue that it is a civic use and as such can be given latitude, but ultimately the shear fact that it is on the one street that has a semblance of an urban core should trump that.

GRAM is a civic structure, yes, but I think it will work alright on this block. Could things have been planned or done better? In just about every case you will have people/critics that will say yes. There isn't much or anything that will please everyone as a whole IMO.

Even with being a civic structure, along Monroe Center, we are seeing a wall of glass that looks to be transparent thru to the center of the center of the block or entrance into GRAM. It has been mentioned that this area will house a cafe and also a retail shop. I would hope they will have an entrance to access both of these from either Ottawa or Monroe. I think having these along Monroe Center would be better than having the loading docks and Administration offices that are placed on the souther side of the block.

I guess what I am trying to say, is even though it might not be a "perfect" fit for an Urban street, it appears that some thougth was put into where parts of the structure were to be placed according the surrounding neighborhood.

It would've been a great spot for riverhouse.

Yikes. Way out of scale for that area IMO.

My guess is Geo that the cafe may have outdoor seating, but it will only be accessible from the inside to keep patrons of the museum all entering and exiting from the front door. It will probably be a gift shop like the one at the public museum, and not accessible from Monroe Center (maybe visible from).

If, IF they really pay attention to the details on that side of the building and create something that people can slow down and look at, then it won't HURT the area. They should have an art display area on that side with displays that are changed out frequently. They could show some of the stuff that they've had in storage for all these years. Free art.

Yikes. Way out of scale for that area IMO.

My guess is Geo that the cafe may have outdoor seating, but it will only be accessible from the inside to keep patrons of the museum all entering and exiting from the front door. It will probably be a gift shop like the one at the public museum, and not accessible from Monroe Center (maybe visible from).

If, IF they really pay attention to the details on that side of the building and create something that people can slow down and look at, then it won't HURT the area. They should have an art display area on that side with displays that are changed out frequently. They could show some of the stuff that they've had in storage for all these years. Free art.

see thats where I dissagree; imagine standing at monroe center with four massive pillars (RH, JW, AGP, and rad) sprouting out from the sea of mid-size buildings. I think the area itself would seem huge.

Too funny. Here's the full size version:

http://static.flickr.com/144/328415356_fc3fc35d7e_o.jpg

Are you wearing a blue coat?

Nope - black coat. And they're actually a level below where I shoot from in that ramp. I know that there was a guy with a camera (and a tripod!) who was in my spot when I got to the top of the elevator - I wandered across the ramp to give him time to finish, although I probably should have asked if he was a UPer (I'm an introvert, what can I say...). So if you're out there, mystery photographer, post those pics!

Archived