New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seems to me no one mentioned that some of glass to concrete ratio might have been thought about by the architect.

what happens to images (paper,pigment,photos...) when they are repeatedly exposed to light.

that right it ages them.

seems like it would be pretty hard to get any traveling shows if grand rapids just messed other museum stuff up.

seems to me no one mentioned that some of glass to concrete ratio might have been thought about by the architect.

what happens to images (paper,pigment,photos...) when they are repeatedly exposed to light.

that right it ages them.

seems like it would be pretty hard to get any traveling shows if grand rapids just messed other museum stuff up.

I still think there are ways to creatively bury the exhibit spaces deeper within the building, and leave the perimeter for common areas that aren't as sensitive to sunlight. Thus requiring far fewer exterior concrete walls that don't coexist well with their urban neighbors. But I can tell from wHY's website that they have a love affair with concrete walls.

But I'm not complaining that much. Even 25% more glass (or those cream-colored) panels would have made a world of difference. I did notice yesterday that they've installed more of those panels along Monroe Center by the Christmas Tree. It's looking pretty good.

that right it ages them.

don't underestimate professional architects who have experience in designing museums, and don't underestimate the people who curate museums professionally and who sign off on the drawings created by the architects that they hired and consulted with to design their spaces

from everything I know about art museums, diffused natural light is actually desired for viewing the artwork.

a few that I have visited...

La Congiunta - Ticino, CH

187714705_115bba09b5.jpg

Museum Liner - Appenzell, CH

187714997_1f39d02f1e.jpg

Kirchner Museum - Davos, CH

187713655_3dfdf6e80d.jpg

Foundation Beyeler - Basel, CH

am_beyeler.jpg

FYI, the Beyeler had a HUGE collection of Picasso's when we were there. If the light was detrimental to the work I don't think they would have had the show.

that right it ages them.

Anyone mention you can protect art by filtering the electromagnetic spectrum with glass :) Given that decay can occur because of ultra violet radiation the glass industry has a filter for eyeglass...

from everything I know about art museums, diffused natural light is actually desired for viewing the artwork.

Strange. I've worked with several curators and all of them want a giant closed box, preferably with blank white walls, so they can control the entire viewing experience, including the light.

The problem with natural light is it constantly changes, which sucks for curators who are generally trying to guide an experience in an exhibition.

The people I know who want natural light are museum directors and marketers who know that people respond better to an experience when they don't feel enclosed in a giant white box.

beautiful pictures! i do like the composition of the lantern braces!

so for the light issues... paper is the most at risk.... canvas and oil are much more resilient and preffered.

though for a mid level museum..paintings are also the most expensive... the collection is usually driven by prints with the goal of trading them eventually for a painting once they increase in value by being put in sets.

I think the gram's collection is almost 50 percent on paper. that is because you can aqcuire better known artists if you buy prints from them...it's the originals that are always driving the auctions.

i've been to basel and have seen some pretty sweet spaces...and they did have alot of natural light....but they were all paintings.....something like a rothko is always preferred in natural light due to the fact it has about 100 layers of paint (prints of rothko's are always dissappointing)....but i think the new ellsworth kelly they have in the lobby pictures is enamel and steel....scupltures also do well in natural light.

the panels are great to look at...

i only fear someone will smash one....

how hard would something like that be to replace?... i noticed they have a cool vaccuum machine to put them in.

The art publication, Art in America , did a little piece on the new GRAM LEED certification for their Nov 06 issue. You would think that GRAM would get the word out? :dontknow: Unfortunately I have no details. Who is their PR person??? :ph34r:

i thought it was written up a few times in the new york times.

i'm sure they'll be pushing that as it gets opened up.

Archived