New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

As a whole, I don't think the concrete is that bad, especially when contrasted against the glazed wall sections along the street. But I do hope that the bottom of that roof overhang is going to be cleaned up somehow, because it ain't pretty.

I could be wrong, but I would guess some of the concrete walls/corners will be covered by colorful banners advertising the current shows. This is done on the current art museum, so maybe that's why some of the walls look very barren.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice looking!

I don't know if it has been discussed, but I was wondering about those columns. They are incredibly thin! Can any professionals in the field explain to me how they work? I've seen superthin columns with a wide-flange steel column imbedded inside, but I'm not sure if this was done on this building? The structure is almost art in itself in that all that concrete appears to be supported by such a thin structure.

Very nice looking!

I don't know if it has been discussed, but I was wondering about those columns. They are incredibly thin! Can any professionals in the field explain to me how they work? I've seen superthin columns with a wide-flange steel column imbedded inside, but I'm not sure if this was done on this building? The structure is almost art in itself in that all that concrete appears to be supported by such a thin structure.

I would think that they packed that column full of steel rebar. This would give it some incredible strength. But on top of that, I would bet the slab that the column is supporting is also packed with rebar and to some degree holds itself up. I'll see tomorrow if I can get more detail'd for ya if you wish :thumbsup:

After looking closer, it seems the curtain wall system was designed to carry some of the load in the concrete slab as well. You'll notice the large steel brackets under the slab. Normally a curtain wall like that would be secured to the wall edge to provide lateral support, but with that bracket being so large and located under the slab, I would suspect that the steal curtain wall helps carry the slab.

I would think that they packed that column full of steel rebar. This would give it some incredible strength. But on top of that, I would bet the slab that the column is supporting is also packed with rebar and to some degree holds itself up. I'll see tomorrow if I can get more detail'd for ya if you wish :thumbsup:

After looking closer, it seems the curtain wall system was designed to carry some of the load in the concrete slab as well. You'll notice the large steel brackets under the slab. Normally a curtain wall like that would be secured to the wall edge to provide lateral support, but with that bracket being so large and located under the slab, I would suspect that the steal curtain wall helps carry the slab.

Not that I have any real expertise in structural engineering, but I'd venture to guess that the curtain walls have no part to play in bearing the load of the structure. The concrete columns are slender, to be sure, but Frank Lloyd Wright proved that slender columns can bear a lot of weight, much more than one might think. And those curtain walls do not appear to have any additional reinforcement outside of the standard window frames. I'd also guess that if that slab required additional support, there would have been some sort of bracing left in place underneath it in the time between when the scaffolding was removed and the curtain wall was attached.

It is amazing what can be done with concrete these days. In one of the concrete labs up here they are working on ultra-high performance concretes, they are very fine grained with steel and carbon fiber strands in them I believe. Their results have been pretty amazing, they printed business cards on paper size sheets of it. It is incredibly strong yet flexible instead of rigid. I think the flexibility increases the compressional and shear strengths which as a result it does not fracture and fail (rather, it will bend within its higher modulus of elasticity much like any other deflecting beam). If anyone knows more about it or the mechanics of the material I sure am interested in knowing how it works.

Here is a site I found interesting http://www.cement.org/tech/cct_con_design_uhpc.asp

I am not saying that is what this is, but it maybe. Who knows without knowing someone on the job.

:edit:

By the way, what is gonna happen with the old GRAM? Another building to go to?

• 2 weeks later...

They keep pealing back the layers:

430629462_dffb768754_b.jpg

430629489_6b2c667b0f_b.jpg

Under the cavernous canopy:

430642326_9bf5493f22_b.jpg

Light filtering through the giant skylight

430642334_46b555a63e_b.jpg

I really do hope they're going to clean up that concrete:

430642336_6f0862fba7_b.jpg

430642343_0517b92f18_b.jpg

The lanterns have metal "caps" on them, so I guess the light will not project upward:

430642353_4084f3685d_b.jpg

430642358_375f76452b_b.jpg

430650667_cfa02d1f59_b.jpg

430650679_6fc3604dd2_b.jpg

430650649_8c9583b62f_b.jpg

I love the Monroe Center side. About a year ago I was really expecting one big 3 or 4 story tall solid concrete wall. Plus, the cavernous canopy really invites you in, I think even if you are not patronizing the art museum you might be tempted to walk under the canopy into the courtyard, check out the waterfall and hang out (eat lunch maybe).

I was in town this weekend, exploring ever changing downtown. I drove north up Monroe, when I got to the intersection at Pearl, I was blown away by the museum. I'm sure this opinion isn't shared by everyone, but the the size of the museum, and the view of it gives a very maganimous appearance. Forgive the comparison, but the scale, of it has that kind of feel of the Met in NY. I think the placement and architecture is great, it suprised me, I was withholding judgement, but this thing is going to have a impact on the ambiance and feel of central downtown. Does anyone have pics from that corner?

I dunno perhaps i'm just weird, but I think when it's all said and done, there might be differing opinions of it.

No, you're just weird. :thumbsup:

But if they are using the Museum of Modern Art in Chicago as a example to go by (and that is what I have read they are doing), then this isn't going to be the big draw that they are hoping. I have walked by and around the Chicago museum many times, and the design is not conducive to drawing people in. No matter when I'm there, it always seems to be devoid of any activity. Hope our museum will not follow in those footsteps, but it sure has the same appearance.

No, you're just weird.

:lol:

But if they are using the Museum of Modern Art in Chicago as a example to go by (and that is what I have read they are doing), then this isn't going to be the big draw that they are hoping. I have walked by and around the Chicago museum many times, and the design is not conducive to drawing people in. No matter when I'm there, it always seems to be devoid of any activity. Hope our museum will not follow in those footsteps, but it sure has the same appearance.

While the MOCA here in Chicago uses the same materials its design, and relation to the street is very different than GRAM's. It's located about a block off Michigan Ave in a non descript location. Also, it basically just a big concrete box with a tremendous amount of stairs to get to the entrance.

GRAM, has a much better relation to the street and its surroundings, and while it is concrete, I think, it's a better over all design. I'm looking forward to when everything comes together, including the landscaping to make my final judgment on this. Boy they have a lot of work to do in the next six months to get this thing open on time!

:lol:

While the MOCA here in Chicago uses the same materials its design, and relation to the street is very different than GRAM's. It's located about a block off Michigan Ave in a non descript location. Also, it basically just a big concrete box with a tremendous amount of stairs to get to the entrance.

GRAM, has a much better relation to the street and its surroundings, and while it is concrete, I think, it's a better over all design...

Still it

I was in town this weekend, exploring ever changing downtown. ...

And you didn't call!

...I was blown away by the museum. ... I think the placement and architecture is great, it suprised me, I was withholding judgement, but this thing is going to have a impact on the ambiance and feel of central downtown. ...

Last night I was admiring the Olympic Flame burner deal things on top.

Archived