New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but I use to dislike the new GRAM, but now I kind of like the mix of materials. I might be able to like this building.

For me, it will depend on what happens when its finished. If it becomes a huge draw and if the building interacts with the street well then I will be OK with it. But the actual design, so far as I can tell, looks to be just god-awful. Its so ugly :sick:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just drove by today and was going to post the same statement. It seems as if nothing is moving forward with this project. I sure hope we don't end up with a less than grand art museum on a very good piece of downtown real estate.

At this rate I think the museum will open in about 2017. ;)

Joe

They should just stop there, sell the space above to other developers, and just start over somewhere else.

I just drove by today and was going to post the same statement. It seems as if nothing is moving forward with this project. I sure hope we don't end up with a less than grand art museum on a very good piece of downtown real estate.

At this rate I think the museum will open in about 2017. ;)

Joe

You have to remember this structure is mainly concrete, and concrete acts funny in cold weather. Until April or May come, it's probably a guessing game every day as to whether they can pour or not.

I was downtown for a lunch meeting at Leo's last Thursday. I was having lunch with the president of one of the local banks. While walking past the GRAM on the way to lunch we were talking about the slow progress. He told me that some of the slow progress was caused by the City. Inspections as well as legal crap dealing with the deeding of the land to GRAM.

How does this museum compare to the VanAndel Museum as far as square footage?

I don't know about total square feet, but in terms of exhibit space, the new Art Museum won't get close to VanAndel.

It's a surprisingly modest expansion from the standpoint of exhibit space.

Especially considering the only permanent works currently on display in the existing art museum are Matthias Alten. There's very little gallery space being used right now.

Edit- my bad, there's a hallway full of art deco glass and small sculpture as well. Some quite nice...but still....

I have a couple questions. Were there any other and/or better renderings released other than the first one in this thread?

Any new pictures of the progress? it seems to be moving very slow from the pics I've seen.

A good question is when this is ever finished, will anyone want to go to it? I know a number of artist, both friends and family, and nobody seems to be all that excited about this project. To them, the museum has gained a reputation of being a sub par gallery that barely ranks above your average art gift shop. localtalent also echos many comments that I heard that there isnt really much artwork to view. People will go because the building is new but unless they have a serious art stash in storage, the new GRAM may end up as void of people as the current in a few months.

That is if they ever finish it.

I believe the GRAM has a very sizable "stash". There simply isn't anyplace to display it in a reasonable manner.

In fact, I think what will be disappointing to many is that the new facility doesn't offer the opportunity to display MORE of the permanent collection.

See: http://www.gramonline.org/exhibitions/permanent/index.html

I do give them credit for finally getting a nice spot to install the Diebenkorn. That's a very significant work of modern American Art. They should really feature it in the new museum.

It appears that they did a significant amount of concrete pouring this week. Can anyone get over there to get some pictures? Looks like a lot of the "floor" has been poured. This warmer weather must have provided an opportunity for the crews to get more of this done.

Archived