New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think I liked the angled look of the steel better than the square box look that the glass creates... hrmmmm

I've sort of had the same thought, but I think it's mostly just the fact that I've gotten used to it. The boxes will grow on me, I'm sure.

my only problem with it is the tint, wish it wasn't so green

I think that on a good sunny day, that won't be an issue. It was getting a little gloomy while I was out there, and I'm not sure it didn't screw with the camera's white balance a bit...

I was thinking the same thing. I knew the boxes would end up on it but I was hoping for something a little more translucent to show off the structure. I have faith though. I'm sure it will look good in the end.

Joe

I actually think I liked the angled look of the steel better than the square box look that the glass creates... hrmmmm

Yeah, I was also thinking clear glass would be nice, but for whatever reason I was expecting the top of the cube to be clear as well. (No idea how they'd deal with snow, so that was pretty dumb on my part.) That way the steel structure would be featured prominently as well, but when they put the top on the steel I realized my error. The steel will probably look sweet from inside though.

I agree. I think you'll see the structural elements from the inside and it should make some pretty nice skylights.

Joe

Yeah, I was also thinking clear glass would be nice, but for whatever reason I was expecting the top of the cube to be clear as well. (No idea how they'd deal with snow, so that was pretty dumb on my part.) That way the steel structure would be featured prominently as well, but when they put the top on the steel I realized my error. The steel will probably look sweet from inside though.

I agree. I think you'll see the structural elements from the inside and it should make some pretty nice skylights.

Joe

I agree. Clear glass with high-powered lights on the inside probably would have looked bad. :huh: They do seem to have a little more greenish tint than I imagined. I thought they would pretty much mimic the color of the opaque panels on portions of the museum, but they are definitely a different color.

I stared at these two pictures (which looked like one) for nearly a minute before I figured out what was going on. When did the Ledyard block get so big?:)

work on the roof - has the section of roof over the offices always been bright white?

488683814_a317370b24.jpg 488685106_b2ebaf8952.jpg

I stared at these two pictures (which looked like one) for nearly a minute before I figured out what was going on. When did the Ledyard block get so big?:)

Sorry about that. I'm going to have to come up with a 10-15 pixel spacer image to separate those types of photos. I realized after I posted that it might be a bit confusing.

Wow! The new GRAM is getting better looking as this project rolls along. Without any doubt its going to be a jaw dropper when its all done. I can't wait for opening day.

From here the lanterns look blue. Lovin it.

493013131_e9e47ec1e0_b.jpg

(there's my "hole" in the fabric along MC again)

Archived