New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know that that addtion actually has much, if any, gallary space. I think it may be just a pretty building.

A very large new art gallery space was included with the Calatrava expansion and hosts the national touring events like the Pissaro exhibition opening June 9. The expansion then connects directly to the old space which houses the permanent collection.

A very large new art gallery space was included with the Calatrava expansion and hosts the national touring events like the Pissaro exhibition opening June 9. The expansion then connects directly to the old space which houses the permanent collection.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification D.

I love this building, but I'm really confused. Where is the art??? :dontknow:

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't have cared less if the building contained any art at all. As far as I'm concerned, the building itself is the most impressive work of art I've seen in a long time.

The cool thing about Calatrava is that people absolutely love his work or hate it, and that is the work the will endure (or be knocked down quickly). Just look at the Chicago Spire. It seems like a 50/50 split. But come back in 20 years and we'll see if it made an impact.

I still think the Art Museum looks great (and again, I absolutely hated it). I think once the landscaping, waterfall and artwork are in place, it will feel much more approachable.

Joe

Maybe a love/hate poll of the new GRAM ought to be posted to see likes it and who doesn't.

I think it would be interesting to have a poll like that now, then do another one once the museum is open to see if people's opinions change

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't have cared less if the building contained any art at all. As far as I'm concerned, the building itself is the most impressive work of art I've seen in a long time.

That's what I was thinking...

I can't wait to bring all my friends with me to the GRAM once it's open and done with renovations, etc.

Speaking of modern architecture (some images are clickable):

534992207_8c661edcd6.jpg

534992239_6964e2f0c2.jpg

We may even start to see landscaping on this soon.

Louvers!

534992227_d65097ae47.jpg

534992233_fefe8d32aa.jpg

Walking along Monroe Center, starting from the West end:

534992247_a232719817.jpg

534997833_2ff25106e9.jpg

My guess is the second floor patio will have a glass railing (not plywood :) ).

534997845_6abf962b86.jpg

534997855_b0cbb11b57.jpg

Transparent glass on the Eastern gallery stairwell:

534997869_a71adef762.jpg

535008991_275783a692.jpg

Glass, glazing, fenestration,.....and lots of it!

535003117_53a8b6deb0.jpg

535003145_30ea5d5e15.jpg

Anyone have a picture of where the waterfall (or wall of water) will be?

Joe

Yes, right here Joe. The top portion will be a reflecting pool (I imagine that will be visible from inside the museum) that will cascade over the front side.

540466410_e93076e3d8.jpg

That's a sweet shot! Wish I had taken it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well thank goodness that they were able to make the big window on ottawa look like a gigantic exhaust vent. Because this side of the building was shaping up to be not totally brutal:

591439416_ea1666ca77.jpg

What is up with this, I just walked past it and couldn't believe it looked so bad. I'm really starting to like this place until I saw that.

What is up with this, I just walked past it and couldn't believe it looked so bad. I'm really starting to like this place until I saw that.

Isn't this the side that was never revealed in the renderings we saw?

I walked past this at lunch today and gave it the big "WTF".

It's too bad, from nearly every other angle, despite the blockyness I thought I was going to hate, I really like the building.

This side truly looks like a giant exhaust vent. Yuck.

Archived