New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going through DT yesterday and went by the rear side of the new GRAM. I don't think the louvers on that side of the building are not that bad looking as some folks here feared.. The ground floor windows are exposed along with the top row. Once vegetation goes in on that side it will look good.

I thought there was going to be a "Grand Gala" for the donors at the end of September (9-29-07 seems to ring a bell). It will be open to the public starting in the beginning of October. Sorry I don't have the exact dates.

Yeah, the ribbon cutting ceremony is Oct 4 and then the grand opening for the public is on the 5th.

I was going through DT yesterday and went by the rear side of the new GRAM. I don't think the louvers on that side of the building are not that bad looking as some folks here feared.. The ground floor windows are exposed along with the top row. Once vegetation goes in on that side it will look good.

Kudzu anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

While no one was noticing, they moved all of the construction trailers away from the South end of the musuem, opening up the South facade a bit more. Plus, Louis is looking pretty good with new curbs. Remember when the museum used to be 2/3's parking lot, and 1/3 dinky retail building (basically empty with a vacant Chinese place and a sub shop)?

780090976_0d95e65ef3_b.jpg

780090886_99b0b9477a_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Rapids Art Museum makes the USATODAY

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...6-museums_N.htm

I guess it's good, but what does "down-at-the-heels" mean?

Pictures from today:

Front doors, ready to go:

931876812_ef8073b487_b.jpg

Trees in the courtyard:

931126579_ba936593b5.jpg

The Grand Rapids "Louvre" (yuck yuck)

931126897_1e0c230fdf_b.jpg

Sneak a peak:

931127001_4e75e2c842_b.jpg

What is what?

931127389_30742940f7_b.jpg

931127675_b4c9803422_b.jpg

Lanterns are all trimmed out now:

931127709_6d69ee2762_b.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice shots! A couple of us at work got a tour on Friday and I was definitely impressed. The spaces were great and very distinct. The interior has alot more space than I pictured and we didn't even get to go around the West wing where the offices are at

I personally like the Louvre's. If you think about their purpose (to block light / help with LEED certification), it is much better than having a bunch of tiny windows. I also like the shot GRDad took. As you get closer to the building, you can see all of the glass. I think it will also look good at night.

Joe

Grand Rapids Art Museum makes the USATODAY

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destination...6-museums_N.htm

This photo from the article got photoshopped...

museums-michiganx-large.jpg

how do I know? The horizontal aluminum trim piece below the balcony appears as a continuous piece. The real aluminum trim, which was installed this past week, has vertical joints. The photo must have been taken while the plywood nailer was still visible and they just digitally painted it.

This photo from the article got photoshopped...

museums-michiganx-large.jpg

how do I know? The horizontal aluminum trim piece below the balcony appears as a continuous piece. The real aluminum trim, which was installed this past week, has vertical joints. The photo must have been taken while the plywood nailer was still visible and they just digitally painted it.

The windows alone would have satisfied my presumptions of what makes good street life. But adding that balcony above the windows sends the Monroe center side of that new GRAM over the top. This building keeps getting better and better as things fall into place. Consider me a happy camper when it comes to the new GRAM. :)

Archived