New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

Tonight, the towers were completely lit. It was breathtaking. However, I did not take a photo with my phone, because it woudn't have done justice.

they were lite and looked cool but breathtaking is a bit extreme, I wish they were a dif. color (natural light?)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight, the towers were completely lit. It was breathtaking. However, I did not take a photo with my phone, because it woudn't have done justice.

What time was this? I was at the retail meet-up and then outdoors until about 10 pm. Didn't notice any illumination.

I like our new GRAM better as well. The one in Israel never had an obvious looking entry plus it looks like there will still be no obvious indication of the entry after its renovation. The new GRAM on the other hand has that huge portico and the inclusion of Rosa Park Circle to welcome its guests.

This kind of hits on a baffling aspect about this thread. The new GRAM has all the components that the uber urbanists demands to see in a good urban environment such as, a welcoming main entry, lots of glass, street level transparency, vegetation, places for people to slow down and congregate, and so forth. The new GRAM will even be LEED certified which adds bonus points to its urbanism credentials. But still there are those that don't like it. Is it because its modern architecture? Would the building be more satisfying to its detractors if it were built under a more traditional architectural style?

It's nice to see some of the landscaping going in around this building. One thing I was a little disapointed to see (or not to see) is more softscaping around the front of the building. It looks like they just added large Unilock pavers along the front of the building. It dosen't seem to flow well into the older paver work already in place along Monroe Center and in front of the building @ Rosa Parks Circle. I thought they were working with Maya Lin on that. Maybe they will put in huge planters to break up/soften the space a bit? :dontknow:

The new GRAM has all the components that the uber urbanists demands to see in a good urban environment such as, a welcoming main entry, lots of glass, street level transparency, vegetation, places for people to slow down and congregate, and so forth. The new GRAM will even be LEED certified which adds bonus points to its urbanism credentials. But still there are those that don't like it. Is it because its modern architecture? Would the building be more satisfying to its detractors if it were built under a more traditional architectural style?

I don't know if I qualify as an urbanist per se; I'm interested in it, but if I were asked to explain urbanism to someone, I'd probably have a hard time with it. My interests lie primarily in watching construction happen and learning about how development occurs, especially downtown.

My problem with the museum is that it's, well, ugly. I don't object to modern architecture, I like the LEED certification, all that other stuff is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it looks like a bunch of massive slabs of bare concrete. You can put a lacy pink bow on a rock, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just a rock.

I'll give it this much - I think it looks better at night. But when I walk past it, the word that springs to mind is mausoleum.

That's it. I think it's just an ugly design.

I'll give it this much - I think it looks better at night. But when I walk past it, the word that springs to mind is mausoleum.

I'm with you....all the philosophical discussion of urbanism aside, to me, the casual pedestrian on the street, we got a giant cube downtown. I'm not a fan.

The LEED certification is huge, I applaud them for that. I still don't like the design.

I like the LEED certification, all that other stuff is fine, but it doesn't change the fact that it looks like a bunch of massive slabs of bare concrete. You can put a lacy pink bow on a rock, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just a rock.

I believe I found the original inspiration for the design...

1119022694_f087f6512c_o.jpg

Looks like they were planting a tree at the corner of Ottawa and Monroe Center today. After a long construction period this thing now looks to be coming together.

A tree and a little grassy area. Not bad.

1149985330_6d73a46376_b.jpg

Not bad at all for a mausoleum:

1149145767_aea5c53cc3_b.jpg

1149991902_9b28801bba_b.jpg

I'm not sure why we keep calling this a mausoleum....aren't mausoleums usually ornate and decorated?

This still looks like a giant ugly box to me.

What would you have liked to see?

I personally love it. It's very unique - just like an art museum should be.

I'm not sure why we keep calling this a mausoleum....aren't mausoleums usually ornate and decorated?

This still looks like a giant ugly box to me.

Sit near the windows in Blake's Turkey Shop and look out at it. It looks incredible, IMO. It's leaps and bounds above any fake historic "lifestyle center" building that could have been put there.

I'm not sure I'd call designing a building with ornate features or what some would call historic features as "lifestyle center." The L&O Tower had some historic accents that were integrated into the design and that turned out pretty awesome. IMO, when someone (in this case Suydam) wants a building with ornate features, they aren't requesting a copy of history. They might be most interested in implementing basic principals of earlier architecture -- pillars, crowns, symmetry, etc...

I think the biggest problem with "lifestyle center" architecture is that it obtains itself as a modern relic. A part of the problem is using historical features purely for the look rather than serving a real structural function.

The GRAM is a real beauty, because you can see its function and that to me is the real form.

Just my observation

It would be nice if some of the concrete was softened with ivy or something. It doesn't look like they planted any with that tree and grassy area though.

I agree.. I LOVE ivy growing up on buildings, it would be especially cool if it were growing up over the entrace way!

Ivy can be harsh on concrete but It would be cool to have a hanging lattice covered in ivy in the entryway

I'm no horticulturist, but I believe it has to do with the species of ivy. I think there are some types that can grow on brick or concrete without damaging it while others will push into small gaps and loosen joints and mortar. How many times have they had to replace the outfield wall at Wrigley Field?

Archived