New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Square foot wise it may not be a huge upgrade - but it should have more usable display space. The old Art Museum was just not built for that purpose and does not really lend its interior to the need. The exterior fits well, but that is about it.

As much as people hate this project - I kind of like it.

Square foot wise it may not be a huge upgrade - but it should have more usable display space. The old Art Museum was just not built for that purpose and does not really lend its interior to the need. The exterior fits well, but that is about it.

As much as people hate this project - I kind of like it.

What is going to happen to the old art museum?

Condos?

I would have more of a comment if they had a better rendering of the project

Ageed.

I'm having difficulty judging how well this will look from what little the renderings offer. Especially with a design that is so different from its surroundings it would be nice to see the building in context with the neighboring buildings.

Ageed.

I'm having difficulty judging how well this will look from what little the renderings offer. Espessially with a design that is so different from its surroundings it would be nice to see the building in context with the neigboring buildings.

Yeah it just looks like a computer generated 3d model that someone made on a cheesy auto-cad program....or left out some serious details. It's too early to tell...but I assume with it being next to rosa parks it looks like it'll flow in with the greenery of the landscape...but we'll see with the building

You would think the renderings for a multi-million $ project would be more sophisticated. If the renderings were blurry/impressionist, it might be cute. As they are. . . they're just plain blah! I hope the renderings aren't an omen! :P

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm getting off topic here, you have to wonder if the Maya Lyn park project and the Musuem had been designed at the same time could they have come up with a better plan for that block? I will reserve judgement untill the museum and the grounds are complete.

I sat next to Maya Lin at a lunch very early in her involvement with the mall. At that time there was a possibility that the county courthouse might be built where the art museum is going. Maya was very excited about the prospect of the courthouse creating an architectural edge and having its main entrance on her "courthouse square." The GRAM will create a similar edge to the park.

BTW, I had an opportunity to tour the GRAM project last week. It is an extremely complex construction project. I couldn't believe how much has been built below grade. Very high tech engineering and a very high level of architectural design. This is at the level where the architecture really is art. The details are quite remarkable.

I sat next to Maya Lin at a lunch very early in her involvement with the mall. At that time there was a possibility that the county courthouse might be built where the art museum is going. Maya was very excited about the prospect of the courthouse creating an architectural edge and having its main entrance on her "courthouse square." The GRAM will create a similar edge to the park.

BTW, I had an opportunity to tour the GRAM project last week. It is an extremely complex construction project. I couldn't believe how much has been built below grade. Very high tech engineering and a very high level of architectural design. This is at the level where the architecture really is art. The details are quite remarkable.

You won't get many people here agreeing with your GRAM assesment.

But I do! :thumbsup:

Yah, your gonna have to point this one out to me, civitas. All I've seen is concrete slabs.

Concrete slabs with holes in them. I walked by yesterday and had a look up close. The walls have about a 1" diameter cylinder extruded through the concrete. Inside the each cylinder is what looked like a piece of PVC tube; there was no cap on the PVC. You can literally see through the PVC tube. The opening must have been

Concrete slabs with holes in them. I walked by yesterday and had a look up close. The walls have about a 1" diameter cylinder extruded through the concrete. Inside the each cylinder is what looked like a piece of PVC tube; there was no cap on the PVC. You can literally see through the PVC tube. The opening must have been

Not to sound like a simple-minded baffoon or anything, but I really couldn't give two craps about how complicated and detailed certain parts of the building are if it still looks like a box with no windows. If its ugly, then its ugly, and that's the end of the conversation IMHO.

Thanks for the info though, civitas! :thumbsup: Its pretty interesting. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the final product looks. ;)

Somone mentioned this already in another thread, I just can't find it.

What is the purpose of all those meticulously placed holes in the walls? Does it serve a functional purpose? Or just a design purpose. Someone ellaborate/elighten me please?

Archived