New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

That is a great pic golscorer! Although it makes the concrete look even worse if you ask me... :huh:

Thanks!

What about the concrete is worse to you? I'm guessing its the inconsistency in shading in the areas that appear to be a bit rougher. To me, thats what makes the concrete interesting. Its inconsistent. It has character. It exhibits how it was created. The rougher areas make it look aged and permanent.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

What about the concrete is worse to you? I'm guessing its the inconsistency in shading in the areas that appear to be a bit rougher. To me, thats what makes the concrete interesting. Its inconsistent. It has character. It exhibits how it was created. The rougher areas make it look aged and permanent.

I'm not torgo, but I thought the same thing (s?)he did when I saw that photo ("It makes the concrete look worse").

For me, it goes something like this: "Even on the sunny saturday of labor day weekend, when I was trying to make myself like the GRAM, I thought to myself "Man, that concrete is very monotonous, or is it impersonal..it's blank, without color...like all the happiness has been drained from the world and replaced with a grey wall."

When I saw the photo I though "hey....that's even less personal, has less color and somehow conveys exactly what I was thinking about the happiness."

I think the photo is pure genius (if your aim is to show that the new GRAM is an impersonal monolith occupying the center of an otherwise vibrant city).

Thanks!

I agree with suydam... I think it looks blotchy, dirty and uneven to me. I am not a fan of this building anyways, especially the big grey slabs of concrete. I suppose it does look a little "aged" and permanent", but not the kind that I would like. After all, the Federal Building or the State of Michigan office building look "aged" too, but I don't think that is what GRAM wants. :scared:

Different tastes, I suppose.

Geez, I think everyone may be over-analyzing this one too much. The building is "lifeless" and is actually "draining energy from the world" because of this section of concrete, on the service entrance side of the museum facing a pretty much unused street (Louis)? The GRAM has to have a service side, where else could it possibly go?

1330080912_4ecf0cf255.jpg

Suydam, I don't think you should try to MAKE yourself like the museum. It just is.

Great pic btw golscorer! :thumbsup: I didn't even notice the color differences in the concrete until you pointed them out.

A testament to the symbiotic yet whimsical relationship between man and nature

GRAM director Celeste Adams is pleased to announce the latest installation to the new building and adjacent plaza: "Chair Stack."

chairstack.jpg

Made specifically for Grand Rapids and created by an anonymous artist, "Chair Stack" was self-installed on the Rosa Parks Circle ice rink on September 3, 2007. Adams enthuses, "it really brightens up the whole space."

She invites the rest of us to be open to the possibilities that "Chair Stack" might create for each one of us. "It has a living spirit," she said, "a life of its own, separate of the artist. It's exciting to finally see the piece in place. It's very much an artistic counterpoint to the building."

"Like the Calder," said Adams, "it will become a part of the life of this city."

Art is not a drive-by experience.

A testament to the symbiotic yet whimsical relationship between man and nature

GRAM director Celeste Adams is pleased to announce the latest installation to the new building and adjacent plaza: "Chair Stack."

chairstack.jpg

Made specifically for Grand Rapids and created by an anonymous artist, "Chair Stack" was self-installed on the Rosa Parks Circle ice rink on September 3, 2007. Adams enthuses, "it really brightens up the whole space."

She invites the rest of us to be open to the possibilities that "Chair Stack" might create for each one of us. "It has a living spirit," she said, "a life of its own, separate of the artist. It's exciting to finally see the piece in place. It's very much an artistic counterpoint to the building."

"Like the Calder," said Adams, "it will become a part of the life of this city."

Art is not a drive-by experience.

It's beautiful! Well worth the investment. I can stare at if for hours and it presents itself to me as a metaphysical representation of the inherent seatedness of mankind and the ever-present search for a place to rest our pasty white bottoms. I'm filled with both great wonder and a childlike sense of whimsy. Or, in the words of that great motivational guru parody in the Burger King commercial from a few years ago, "I'm full of sit, he's full of sit, we're all full of sit."

So does anyone have pictures of these elusive lit lanterns? It's almost like big foot. Lot's of people have seen them but we still don't have a good pic on UP. :dontknow:

They are frightfully difficult to photograph well (using my equipment, anyway).

Aren't you coming DT for the fireworks tonight? See them then.

They've removed all the fencing around this project, and replaced it with a security guard. :)

I was able to get some updated photos of the fountain plaza area and front entrance:

1367937718_99105ee494_b.jpg

1367932806_eb09b11830_b.jpg

I too am disappointed that they didn't do a better job of incorporating the brick paver scheme from the museum to RPC. It looks like a hodge podge now, instead of a seemless transition. Other than that, it's looking good!

• 2 weeks later...

My photo shoot of the new GRAM completed to today.

Many here have complained about how hard is to photograph the new GRAM. So I decided try it myself. I agree that it is a tough nut to crack. But it can be done. The secret is not trying to get the whole building in one sitting nor paying undivided attention to just the building itself. Instead I took a different approach by doing two things. One is focusing in on the details and, two and mostly importantly, paying close attention to how the building reacts to its surroundings. The second part I strongly emphasize because that is where the new GRAM's beauty really comes into play. Lastly, mere point-and-shoot will not work here. The key to getting this building right being very observant and to take allot of time in composing shots.

Hopefully this tip will help. Anyway enjoy the pictures below.

1429791892_f7860528f0_o.jpg

1429792042_b56fbe5912_o.jpg

1428915727_bbefd1f9ce_o.jpg

1428915341_8a6af917dd_o.jpg

1429791304_b409cb87dd_o.jpg

1429790782_b76fd2d702_o.jpg

1429790974_7e020812a3_o.jpg

1429790488_38c6da0fea_o.jpg

1428914399_2d61fa41aa_o.jpg

1429789930_934e8972da_o.jpg

I had to be downtown for an early appointment this morning and had a chance to do a quick tour of the side facing the Maya Lin park - the building is amazing! The little pocket park with the water wall blew me away and I can see that whole side of the GRAM becoming one of those great urban spaces that you associate with large cities. (Unlike Calder Plaza which only seems to work if you throw up a stage and a few beer/food tents.) I was a believer in this building from the beginning and it has surpassed my expectations - I can't wait until next Tuesday when I'll be able to get a tour of the interior. 5 stars, two thumbs up, A+ - however you want to put it, we have a great new home for the GRAM.

I hope to run into a few of you at the grand opening. I'm going to be there writing for my college newspaper The Saint on the GRAM. Only I'm new in town and haven't seen all the buzz about this museum until I got here. So any websites or other postings on UP that I need to read to get up to speed and have some "research" done? I have no idea what the old art museum looked like. Thanks!

Archived