New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the night sky on the summer solstice?... maybe thats the connection to the maya lin park the ice rink is the night sky on the winter solstice

That's exactly correct and was part of the reasoning behind that design. When standing in the back of the lecture area, you can see Rosa Parks Circle from there. It's interesting to see the contrast in shapes between the two locations; the GRAM is almost all corners, angles, squares, etc and nearly everything about Rosa Parks is curved. They work well together though.

Great pictures dbrok!

I don't remember if this has been discussed before, but what is everyone's opinion on GRAM's ability to bring people to Monroe Center or the greater Downtown area? WZZM is running a poll similar to this subject at their main page. (below the Most Popular Stories section)

Great pictures dbrok!

I don't remember if this has been discussed before, but what is everyone's opinion on GRAM's ability to bring people to Monroe Center or the greater Downtown area? WZZM is running a poll similar to this subject at their main page. (below the Most Popular Stories section)

It should be at least a boost. Hopefully the City of GR will renovate that plaza between Comerica Bank and Founders Trust. If you walk directly straight from the entrance of the JW Marriot toward Z's, you enter that plaza, which basically points directly to the Rosa Parks Circle and the Museum entrance. It would be great to attract the guests at the JW and impress them once again with the GRAM.

I will admit I was wrong.

Months ago I said that the museum looked like the old Grand Center, and that was just way off.

Yes I still don't like that flat slab roof or the Ottawa Ave. wall, but just walking around it today, I saw a very sophisticated building that made me wish I was dressed better standing in its presence.

I took a walk through earlier today and I was blown away. Standing under that canopy on the part side made me feel VERY small. There is a gallery on the third floor that is purely architectural stuff on GRAM and wHY Architects and those were the only displays I really stopped to look at. Instead of looking at the art work like the other people there, I was too busy looking at the building and phenomenal spaces throughout the museum. I grabbed lunch before I went through and sat next to the water wall outside. Thats a wonderfully shaded area to hang out. The noise from the water wall is very calming and drowns around the busy city around it.

The museum store also had a very nice, although limited, selection of Architecture books. I'll be sending my wife there come Xmas time for sure! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to go back at night!!!

Saw the museum for the first time at night and it is stunning! The whole Rosa Parks Circle/Monroe Center/Ledyard Building area is lit up by the soft glow of the lanterns, and the lighting on all of the railings leading up to the main entrance and cafe are phenomenal! Plus the gift shop all lit up really makes Monroe Center pop! Someone with good night photography skills needs to capture this thing. :camera:

It should be at least a boost. Hopefully the City of GR will renovate that plaza between Comerica Bank and Founders Trust. If you walk directly straight from the entrance of the JW Marriot toward Z's, you enter that plaza, which basically points directly to the Rosa Parks Circle and the Museum entrance. It would be great to attract the guests at the JW and impress them once again with the GRAM.

I remember seeing renderings for the rebuild of Campau Promenade in the Business Journal or MiBiz or something. Then I heard it got backburnered. Anyone know if that is pushed to 2008 or "indefinitely"? For now, that poor beat up and abused promenade is something that actually should be kept a secret.

I remember seeing renderings for the rebuild of Campau Promenade in the Business Journal or MiBiz or something. Then I heard it got backburnered. Anyone know if that is pushed to 2008 or "indefinitely"? For now, that poor beat up and abused promenade is something that actually should be kept a secret.

2008 according to the DDA. They didn't think with the amount of work and infrastructure upgrades needed that they could get it done before Winter.

2008 according to the DDA. They didn't think with the amount of work and infrastructure upgrades needed that they could get it done before Winter.

Chris Knape talks about a very important issue in his blog today: recycling.

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/2007/10...eing_green.html

I often wonder just how much material really gets recycled from 'green' construction projects.

Chris Knape talks about a very important issue in his blog today: recycling.

http://blog.mlive.com/knapescorner/2007/10...eing_green.html

I often wonder just how much material really gets recycled from 'green' construction projects.

I just read Knape's story. Very interesting. I really hope GRAM actually lives their Earth-friedly status, rather than just using it as a marketing ploy. What's the point in being able to brag that you're the first LEED certified museum in the world if you turn around and waste materials on an everyday basis? Love the spin from the PR folks...pass the buck and there's no story here. "the dumpster doesn't belong to the museum"? WHAT? Nice...try, honey! Isn't the museum paying Rockford Pepper for their services? Then they're also paying for that dumpster and everything in it. If there's any way for Knape to follow up on this story, I hope he does.

I just read Knape's story. Very interesting. I really hope GRAM actually lives their Earth-friedly status, rather than just using it as a marketing ploy. What's the point in being able to brag that you're the first LEED certified museum in the world if you turn around and waste materials on an everyday basis? Love the spin from the PR folks...pass the buck and there's no story here. "the dumpster doesn't belong to the museum"? WHAT? Nice...try, honey! Isn't the museum paying Rockford Pepper for their services? Then they're also paying for that dumpster and everything in it. If there's any way for Knape to follow up on this story, I hope he does.

Wanna bet they have brand-new blue bins all over the place tonight?

Story, what story? Nothing to see here Chris. Go find something else to report on! Didn't you read that from the Rockford guy? :lol:

It sounds like the GRAM rep did follow up on it though. I agree that if you are going to use LEED as a marketing ploy and make such a big hubbub about it, you'd better be sincere about it. We weren't born yesterday.

BTW: found this shot on the GR flickr group done by photoshoparama. Oooooo Aaaaaaaa

1488942607_da13efd3f7_o.jpg

You'll certainly be able to point out the GRAM from your new condo high atop Riverhouse at night time! :) ...that is, if you can see it amongst the hotels.

You can make out one of the light towers of GRAM from the roof of the Hillmount. Take that, Riverhouse.

Wanna bet they have brand-new blue bins all over the place tonight?

I was in the offices at GRAM last week (got an early tour, natch) and there are recycling bins everywhere, probably have been there since they moved offices from the old building.

I don't get it. Seems like more than a coincidence that the Press has been sitting on this for weeks but then waits to write about it on opening day. Sounds they're trying to purposefully damage their reputation.

Opening night review

With great anticipation, I stepped inside...

It's really beautiful. Someone else mentioned paying less attention to the art and more to fit and finish. Me too. Many spaces look to be flexible, with moving walls. I could have a contra dance on the wooden floors in any upstairs gallery. Take the stairs. Look out the windows at Big "O".

Climate control needs to be dialed in. Many chilly spots, contrasted with hot ones.

I tried the buffet ($10). Menu could be tweaked to better accommodate sterno trays (the chicken was not bad once the gravy from the Swedish meatballs soaked in). Staff was very attentive and friendly, including the waitstaff and the drink people. The cafe is a great window on the world and it'll be especially pleasant once the ice rink fires up. I was there at twilight and the view down MC was spectacular.

Cafe has green wire patio chairs. Most patrons stood up, and then felt themselves for worn-in grooves. (Quick, while outdoor product is still available, get you some chair pads!)

Ain't no wi-fi (yet) although a couple of services showed. Even standing near the window, I couldn't pick up RPC or the Friends. Was informed that will be fixed.

Ever wondered what happens to people who can't make it in TSA or professional law enforcement? They become museum rent-a-cops. On the main floor was a voracious clod who was shooing people away from the walls. Excuse me, that is a grid with utilities underneath. It is not a barricade behind which the paying customer must stand. And if you want to read the artifact's description, you have to get up close and personal. Ran into a couple fellow Planeteers and they'd experienced the same concern. Me: "the artwork is not in peril. The people here aren't the type to try to take home a souvenir off the wall, like a bathmat from a Holiday Inn." The same Blackwater wannabe demanded to see my ticket, not having noticed my GRAM lapel sticker. (Hey, if you're gonna give people a sticker to wear, tell the gendarmes to L@@K for same!)

I recall seeing security guards at the DIA neatly attired in golf shirts and khakis. Let's ditch the pseudo uniforms and train these people to be friendly.

The display of building materials is really neat. Check out the layered glass scale model.

I almost thought about buying something at the gift shop, but now I can't remember what it was.

$4 Fridays. Live music. Maybe some of the RPC lighting could be turned on to help make it a more welcoming space. There were a ton of people there, wandering around the exterior even as I left at 8:30.

I was in the offices at GRAM last week (got an early tour, natch) and there are recycling bins everywhere, probably have been there since they moved offices from the old building.

I don't get it. Seems like more than a coincidence that the Press has been sitting on this for weeks but then waits to write about it on opening day. Sounds they're trying to purposefully damage their reputation.

That's good to read that GRAM has recycling inside; I would hope that the same principles would have been carried out during the construction phase, too. I was surprised to see all the PR folks reactions. Maybe they're just too busy with grand opening stuff this week. Maybe we'll hear more from them about this after all the events are over. Wouldn't you think that if the Press were to expose this, they'd place it on A1, not in Knape's blog? Probably was just Chris making observations. He's probably been over there a lot lately and was just nosing around (he's good at that!).

The same Blackwater wannabe demanded to see my ticket, not having noticed my GRAM lapel sticker. (Hey, if you're gonna give people a sticker to wear, tell the gendarmes to L@@K for same!)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Funniest post of the week!! Thanks for that. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time.

Ever wondered what happens to people who can't make it in TSA or professional law enforcement? They become museum rent-a-cops. On the main floor was a voracious clod who was shooing people away from the walls. Excuse me, that is a grid with utilities underneath. It is not a barricade behind which the paying customer must stand. And if you want to read the artifact's description, you have to get up close and personal. Ran into a couple fellow Planeteers and they'd experienced the same concern. Me: "the artwork is not in peril. The people here aren't the type to try to take home a souvenir off the wall, like a bathmat from a Holiday Inn." The same Blackwater wannabe demanded to see my ticket, not having noticed my GRAM lapel sticker. (Hey, if you're gonna give people a sticker to wear, tell the gendarmes to L@@K for same!)

I recall seeing security guards at the DIA neatly attired in golf shirts and khakis. Let's ditch the pseudo uniforms and train these people to be friendly.

When I went to the museum on Thursday I was a little concerned that the guards weren't paying enough attention. I witnessed a lot of patron-on-painting contact. Most troublesome were a couple of preschoolers actually slapping the Warhol prints. Could be the guards were told to be more involved after that. I agree that the unis are a bit laughable.

Overall it's a beautiful interior. It's impressive how large the space seems when you first enter. The stairs leading from the lobby to the second floor are a bit narrow, barely enough room for an up and down lane. That's only a minor concern though, and likely to be alleviated by smaller crowds in the future.

As for the art, I thought the temporary exhibition of contemporary Dutch works was quite intriguing. I don't think the old GRAM would have hosted an exhibition like this, and it might not be what most of Grand Rapids expects to encounter in their local art museum, but it's a fairly impressive collection of works.

I'll definitely be back, especially after they stock the library.

Archived