New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During my visit Tuesday, I also witnessed people touching the art. If the guards were over zealous, I would just chalk it up to "opening night jitters." And while I agree that the uniforms leave a bit to be desired, I have to take issue with the painting of these guys with such broad strokes. My experience was that they were attentive, friendly and polite. They also appeared to be of college age and were most likely doing this to make ends meet - I doubt that it was a career choice for any of them. (The Blackwater comparison was way over the top.) We have a beautiful new home for the GRAM - one that I'm sure we will all be showing of to our out-of-town friends. They haven't even been open for a week yet - let's give them a little time to work out the kinks.

After visiting last evening, I share the same sentiment as most of you--the building is breathtaking, inside and out. A few things that haven't been mentioned that I observed:

1) The feeling you get when standing in front of the GRAM, looking towards RPC, is amazing. Tall buildings and wonderful architecture surround you while you are in a very modern courtyard. It almost feels like Europe. For spending a lot of time downtown, I haven't felt that much pride in awhile.

2) The water feature is very cool. It looks like it should be a waterfall, but it's filled up to the brim and creates an optical illusion of sorts. Very cool!

3) The museum gave me a very energetic yet peaceful feeling...hard to explain. Being there was definitely a mood changer.

During my visit Tuesday, I also witnessed people touching the art. If the guards were over zealous, I would just chalk it up to "opening night jitters." And while I agree that the uniforms leave a bit to be desired, I have to take issue with the painting of these guys with such broad strokes. My experience was that they were attentive, friendly and polite. They also appeared to be of college age and were most likely doing this to make ends meet - I doubt that it was a career choice for any of them. (The Blackwater comparison was way over the top.) ...

You're right. I was way out of line expressing that opinion. I should have gone with the much more accurately decriptive phrase Imperial storm troopers.

From the comment section of the Free Press story. My eyes are rolling...

"Oh, please. Unlike Grand Rapids, Detroit has world class cultural institutions that can hold their own in comparison with anything the world has to offer: the DIA, DSO and Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village. For the record, I'm not saying the DIA is as big as the Louvre or Tate, but the DIA's collection would be enjoyed (worth a special trip) by a frequent visitor to the Louvre or Tate. That is not true of Grand Rapids. Our city isn't perfect, but don't wish Grand Rapids on us."

"Oh, please. Unlike Grand Rapids, Detroit has world class cultural institutions that can hold their own in comparison with anything the world has to offer: the DIA, DSO and Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village. For the record, I'm not saying the DIA is as big as the Louvre or Tate, but the DIA's collection would be enjoyed (worth a special trip) by a frequent visitor to the Louvre or Tate. That is not true of Grand Rapids. Our city isn't perfect, but don't wish Grand Rapids on us."

Got a link to the article being commented on? Thanks.

Got a link to the article being commented on? Thanks.

He's talking about the "comments" section under the freep article that Libertarian (?) posted:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ESS04/710060303

You have to take those comment blips with a grain of salt. It may have been written by a 12 year old working on his term paper. :P

The Chicago Tribune spread may explain why I saw a TON of Illinois plates around downtown this weekend. :huh: Either that or there was a show at Devos Place for some IL organization.

These pictures don't really do it justice, but this is the giant "window to downtown" that Rhino is talking about under the canopy:

1515719320_63c6169cf0_b.jpg

1515713180_8fe68bb8f8_o.jpg

I read that too and considered responding....then I remembered that GR is getting all the positive press lately while Detroit gets lambasted for wallowing in the mud. I'm sure there's some of that projected jealousy among residents (especially those who forget we're all in this together).

A rising tide lifts all boats, right?

When I went to the museum on Thursday I was a little concerned that the guards weren't paying enough attention. I witnessed a lot of patron-on-painting contact. Most troublesome were a couple of preschoolers actually slapping the Warhol prints. Could be the guards were told to be more involved after that. I agree that the unis are a bit laughable.

Overall it's a beautiful interior. It's impressive how large the space seems when you first enter. The stairs leading from the lobby to the second floor are a bit narrow, barely enough room for an up and down lane. That's only a minor concern though, and likely to be alleviated by smaller crowds in the future.

As for the art, I thought the temporary exhibition of contemporary Dutch works was quite intriguing. I don't think the old GRAM would have hosted an exhibition like this, and it might not be what most of Grand Rapids expects to encounter in their local art museum, but it's a fairly impressive collection of works.

I'll definitely be back, especially after they stock the library.

The guards weren't paying enough attention at all. I happened to run into veloise and rhino6885 when I was there writing the article for the school newspaper. I was concerned about getting my story and rightfully so. The editor of the school newspaper (keep that in mind a college newspaper) and I should've just done my own research on it, assured me there'd be tour guides walking around. The security guards weren't even walking around. They were gathering in certain spots of the art museum chit chatting. But nonetheless I was surprised at how big it was and wish there was more artwork. However, I did like the reflection pool. I'm definitely going again in the next week or two to get a better walk around instead of rushing trying to find my story or someone to answer my basic questions.

I happened to run into veloise and rhino6885 when I was there writing the article for the school newspaper.

So, did you get your story? I ran into one of the ticket girls outside afterwards, and she was full of good info about the UV filters on the glass, the towers, etc. Unfortunately, I had already thrown away my sticker so I couldn't track you down...haha.

Veloise - "Imperial Storm Troopers?" - I'm still laughing as I type this. Unfortunately, the MacBook is going to have to go in to the Apple store to have the Pepsi removed from the keyboard. On the plus side though, the wall behind it now has a very Jackson Pollack-esque quality to it.

For the Friday Nights@GRAM, is there an extra charge to get in? Veloise? Anyone?

It's half price, $4 (dunno of a kiddie price). 5-9 pm.

ETA: Fri, Oct 12

5:00 -9:00 PM

Nights @ GRAM

Featuring music by Dave Collee Quartet with Ginny Dusseau. Friday Nights @ GRAM is sponsored by Jade Pig Ventures.

The Friday ticket price is not delineated on their website. www.gramonline.org

(I'm going to JBPark to crash the Octubafes--I mean, Octoberfest)

It's half price, $4 (dunno of a kiddie price). 5-9 pm.

ETA: Fri, Oct 12

5:00 -9:00 PM

Nights @ GRAM

Featuring music by Dave Collee Quartet with Ginny Dusseau. Friday Nights @ GRAM is sponsored by Jade Pig Ventures.

The Friday ticket price is not delineated on their website. www.gramonline.org

(I'm going to JBPark to crash the Octubafes--I mean, Octoberfest)

Kiddie free! :alc::D

Thanks. I :o haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

As I checked the mail today, I was surprised to see the cover of my latest Architect magazine:

1562655539_49910fe8de.jpg

The magazine has a nice 10-page article with a ton of pictures and details of the museum. Here's a link to the online version:

GRAM Green

From the moment he penciled his first sketch for the new Grand Rapids Art Museum (GRAM) in Grand Rapids, Mich., architect Kulapat Yantrasast was inspired by more than art. A native of Thailand and a partner in the Los Angeles firm Workshop Hakomori Yantrasast (wHY), Yantrasast, 39, felt compelled to layer the building's primary role-as a place for displaying art-with activities that would naturally attract people. As he explains,

Man, the GRAM has to get its website in order! Their membership and Learn @ Lunch pages are over a year old. I was researching membersip, and learned that, if I signed up by December 31, 2006, I could win an Eames chair!

http://www.gramonline.org/membership/index...chor-membership

Seriously, they have to get on that, especially with all the buzz now. I'm surprised there is no info.

Man, the GRAM has to get its website in order! Their membership and Learn @ Lunch pages are over a year old. I was researching membersip, and learned that, if I signed up by December 31, 2006, I could win an Eames chair!

http://www.gramonline.org/membership/index...chor-membership

Seriously, they have to get on that, especially with all the buzz now. I'm surprised there is no info.

They are behind in so many ways. When I talked to the GRAM's PR guy, I told him everything that I saw at opening night and he was surprised. Perhaps they're too busy teaching everyone how the new computer system works at the GRAM to update a website. I don't know, I wasn't too impressed by the GRAM's functioning on opening day. Maybe they're looking for a webmaster now....

I did like the artwork, just didn't like how things were run and behind-the-scenes things only someone trying to get a story done would notice.

Archived