New Grand Rapids Art Museum

GRDadof3

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being LEDs, the blues look exceptionally better in person that blues on ordinary christmas lights. If I can get myself my own apartment before Christmas (not likely) I'll be looking for some LED lights for windows for sure.

I definitely agree. My wife and I actually were surprised to see that the LED lights on the tree are EXACTLY the same kind as we had just bought at Riley's Ace Hardware on Michigan two weeks earlier. They look great on our house. I believe they are $12 or $13 for a string of 60 lights. Perhaps next year we'll update the lights on our tree.

• 3 weeks later...

On the fourth day of Christmas...

Let's have a no-host meet-up at the GRAM.

Friday night admission is $4. The place is open 5 -9 pm, with music, and food & drinks for a slight extra charge. December 28. The tree is still lit, the ice rink is rolling, and the DDA decorations are lovely!

(inspired by today's coffee meet-up out in the township)

^Bump

On the fourth day of Christmas...Let's have a no-host meet-up at the GRAM.

Friday night admission is $4. The place is open 5 -9 pm, with music, and food & drinks for a slight extra charge. December 28. The tree is still lit, the ice rink is rolling, and the DDA decorations are lovely! ...

Music by local blues guitarist Jimmie Stagger this week. (How come On the Town can get the line-up in time to publish, but this info is not available on the GRAM website?)

Today would be the day to reconnoiter one of those animated holiday spotlight projector things, as suggested by BlueRadon.

Listing swiped from GRNow:

Every Friday night, the Grand Rapids Art Museum kicks back with Friday Nights at GRAM. Meet friends after work for a casual evening of art, music and drinks. Each night features live music by local and regional musicians, an hors d'oeuvres buffet in the museum's cafe and a cash bar. The first Friday of each month will feature a little something extra such as an artist lecture. $4 admission

• 2 months later...

Grand Rapids Art Museum: Gold for being green

Mlive

" The new $75 million museum, built to be environmentally friendly, has been awarded gold certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, the national agency that rates the construction and operation of sustainable buildings...GRAM becomes the first newly built art museum in the world to receive certification from USGBC's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program...The gold-level award was an added achievement for the building Newsweek magazine named one of its "Six Most Important Buildings of 2007." "

Pretty impressive, eh? :camera:

Took an out-of-town visitor to Friday night. He likes the place, the ambiance, the galleries. Andy Warhol was a big plus. (Of course he got to hear the story of moi's photoshopping banner efforts!)

Did not immediately recognize Tony in his debonair attire: a top hat! AND a stylin' lady friend in close proximity! DUDE!!!

GRAM ought to play up the "great place for a date" theme.

Actually, that was my sister with me that night. I afterwards realised I completely forgot to introduce her to you and vice-versa.

But I must say: I look dead sexy in my top hat. ~nods~

Your sister. YOUR SISTER?!?!?!? And here I was thinking, wow, the move to GR has really turned Tony's life around!

Dang it, fella, getchu a GF. (And bring her to GRAM.)

I'm shocked nobody mentioned the annoucement last week, that GRAM officially earned Gold LEED status by the US Green Building Council--the first art museum in the world to be completely constructed to the organization's green standards.

Grand Rapids Art Museum: Gold for Being Green

Cough. Read four posts above yours. Cough.

• 3 weeks later...

I was down there this evening and was very disappointed to see that at least two panels near the water wall had been broken. It looked like someone had some fun tossing rocks around. They've got cameras on that courtyard, hopefully the culprits can be found, but I suppose that's unlikely.

I didn't notise any broken panels. Must've happened either after I left or I just didn't see it.

In the waterwall courtyard, above the south door, at least two panels...very sad to see...

On the plus side, the Andy Warhol exhibit is a nice addition to the Grand Rapids scene. Yet another example of a show that probably could not have happened at the previous space.

The sod is so dry, it's peeling up of its own accord.

pict0015-2.jpg

(I know where GRAM could obtain free woodchips and pretty this up in time for the GRAM opening...out on Butterworth)

There's now a giant cement wall blocking this vent, about 5-7 feet away from the wall. They're still working on cleaning it up. Didn't have my camera last night to take any photos.

• 8 months later...

Archived