USC Upstate To Build Campus In Greenville!

goodbye

Surprised to see no one else has posted about this yet.

USC Upstate announced today that they will be building a campus on land given by Greenville Tech, just off of Cleveland Street. Cost will be $10.4 million and will include three buildings on 13 acres. The first building is expected to break ground sometime in December, and classes are expected to begin in the Fall of 2007. The partnership between the two schools is "unprecedented in American higher education," according to Dr. John C. Stockwell, chancellor of USC Upstate. Students and faculty of the new campus will be able to use all of the current infrastructure at the G-ville Tech main campus, including library and dormitories. The current location in University Center, which has over 500 students enrolled in USC Upstate, will remain as it is. I think this is great news for Greenville! :thumbsup:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, and all this time we were wondering why the school's name was changed. I'm sure this was in the works before "USC Spartanburg" became "USC Upstate." But that is certainly good news. Greenville may not be a "college town" in the traditional sense, but seems to be getting all of the advantages of one.

It sounds so. Dr. Stockwell has wanted USC Upstate to become a version of UNC Charlotte, which serves the entire metropolis. I like the idea. More students at Greenville Tech will be likely to continue their education without the hassles they may currently face. It's definitely a good thing. :)

This is excellent news! I wonder what programs of study will be offered in Greenville? I wonder what this will mean to USC Upstate's presence in the McAllister Center? I wonder if Greenville Tech will eventually become part of USC Upstate?

http://www.uscupstate.edu/news/article.aspx?ID=254

I get a kick out of being reminded that Dr. Andrew Sorenson is president of USC. I met him at a scholarship luncheon ages ago (when he was Provost at the University of Florida). It's a small world after all.

^ Certainly it is a good idea, Greenville does need a comprehensive college to serve the immediate city area. 

Now if only Clemson opens a sattelite college in Columbia :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, we (Clemson) already consider Williams-Brice stadium our second home so a campus in Columbia doesn't seem too far-fetched. ;)

I like the idea of USC Upstate having a Greenville branch. Before this was announced, I had wondered if there are plans for Greenville Tech to become a four-year university. Especially with the dorms being built and the growth of the school. Regardless, this is excellent news for our city!

^ Certainly it is a good idea, Greenville does need a comprehensive college to serve the immediate city area. 

Now if only Clemson opens a sattelite college in Columbia :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More affordable, you probably meant to say. Furman already serves Greenville very well, although its academic standards and tuition prices are much higher than Greenville Tech or USC Upstate. The average Joe and Jane aren't typically found attending class at FU.

I think Greenville has as much college influence as a city its size needs: Enough to make a great impact on the urban city scene, but not a necessity for the city's ultimate survival. I don't really like the feel of places like Knoxville, where the whole city seems to revolve around the university. That is only my personal opinion though, so don't judge me too harshly for it. ^_^

I don't really like the feel of places like Knoxville, where the whole city seems to revolve around the university.  That is only my personal opinion though, so don't judge me too harshly for it. ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with you. I can speak from experience when I say that in the summer months, Gainesville, Florida is a GHOST TOWN. I hated that when I was living there and attending summer classes. I, for one, am glad that Greenville doesn't revolve around a university. Yet, I love living as close to Furman (and Clemson) as I do because I can take advantage of that "college atmosphere" for a good part of the year and the educational and cultural ammenities that universities provide.

I think this news will mean more people will take advantage of the 4-year opportunity than have in the past. I completely understand Spartan's astonishment/disgust, but in the end it will most likely help strengthen the entire Upstate with more college grads starting businesses here and such. :thumbsup:

I have no problem with Greenville having a school. Infact, I'd even go so far as to support it.

HOWEVER! The jokers at USCS said that the name change does not mean that the campus will move to Greenville. Now they go and announce this. I am not about conspiracy theories, but you have to admit that this is a rather 'timely' announcement.

I think Channel 4 said that they basicly want to set it up so that you can go there and trander to USC to get a 4 year degree.

I don't see them closing USCS, but I do see this as a step in reducing the importance of it in the Upstate.

It is good news for USC though. Glad to see Greenville is finally getting its "USCG."

HOWEVER! The jokers at USCS said that the name change does not mean that the campus will move to Greenville. Now they go and announce this. I am not about conspiracy theories, but you have to admit that this is a rather 'timely' announcement.

It is my understanding that the campus in Spartanburg will remain, correct? The new one in Greenville will probably be used to attract the people who otherwise wouldn't go through the process of finishing a bachelor program elsewhere. I see only positives from this announcement. The smooth collaboration/partnership between the two schools is what has me wondering what to expect in the future....... :rolleyes:

It is my understanding that the campus in Spartanburg will remain, correct?  The new one in Greenville will probably be used to attract the people who otherwise wouldn't go through the process of finishing a bachelor program elsewhere. I see only positives from this announcement.  The smooth collaboration/partnership between the two schools is what has me wondering what to expect in the future....... :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I am not concerned about it going away or anything. They are investing too much money for that to happen. Its that future that I wonder about. I would rather not see USCS loose its place in the Upstate's educational setup.

It is my understanding that the campus in Spartanburg will remain, correct?  The new one in Greenville will probably be used to attract the people who otherwise wouldn't go through the process of finishing a bachelor program elsewhere. I see only positives from this announcement.  The smooth collaboration/partnership between the two schools is what has me wondering what to expect in the future....... :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this could be the wave of the future. Traditional colleges (particularly USC and Clemson)have gotten so ridiculously expensive and only want the top students (even if they come from out-of-state) that tech schools are getting quite large. It is now quite common for students to go to Tech for two years , then transfer. This just makes it easier and seamless to "transfer" to USCS. Look for this type of collaboration/consolidation elsewhere.

I started to post this yesterday afternoon, but I wasn't sure how I felt. Naturally, being from sptbg I feel a little aprehensive, but as I look at the scope of the campus plan, I'm pretty reassured that it is not an attempt to relocate the main campus. It does look like they will replace what they are doing at the University center. I don't know if they will keep thier presence there or what.

We all know that this is the very reason for the name change. They always felt that having a Greenville campus with a Spartanburg name wouldn't fly, but no matter what you call it, the campus is still a satellite of the Spartanburg campus - that is until Greer tries to annex up I-85 to try to incorporate it. :rofl:

Well, by 'comprehensive' I understand your arguement. I did mean a comprehensive public college with a specific goal of providing a general liberal arts program for a specific city. I consider these to be - the urban college - such as Georgia State University in Atlanta, Virginia Commonwealth in Richmond & UNCC in Charlotte (though it is in the suburbs). My hope would be this new college would eventually grow into a college with a large enrollment, providing lower income & those middle income students who were unable to attend any of the major colleges (like me :( - I had bad grades...). These colleges don't provide that 'college atmosphere like the well known ones do, but they can provide an accessible curriculum that is comparable.

Well, by 'comprehensive' I understand your arguement.  I did mean a comprehensive public college with a specific goal of providing a general liberal arts program for a specific city.  I consider these to be - the urban college - such as Georgia State University in Atlanta, Virginia Commonwealth in Richmond & UNCC in Charlotte (though it is in the suburbs).  My hope would be this new college would eventually grow into a college with a large enrollment, providing lower income & those middle income students who were unable to attend any of the major colleges (like me :( - I had bad grades...).  These colleges don't provide that 'college atmosphere like the well known ones do, but they can provide an accessible curriculum that is comparable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I hope that's what is going to happen. But it seems a little suspect to me. It looks like its a competition to me. Now before you go :rolleyes: hear me out. You now see Clemson doing all these things in the Upstate (ICAR, the Research facilty in Anderson Co. the list can go on and on) in the first half of this year and now see USCS (USC) coming out with plans for this Greenville campus. Now barring they have been making plans (the name change and on campus housing) it still has to make you say huhhhhhhhh. And by the way with the president of the school saying "In the last few years, the University of South Carolina has looked for ways to share resources and talent with other institutions for the good of our citizens," Sorensen said. "This agreement between USC, USC Upstate and Greenville Technical College embodies that philosophy of cooperation, outreach and thrift and, along with the new S.C. College of Pharmacy and the existing training program for USC medical students at Greenville Memorial Hospital, makes a University of South Carolina education even more attainable for the residents of Greenville and surrounding areas." It may have happened anyway. But all I am going to say to wrap up my conspiracy theory is if it is competition, it's goin' to help not not hurt anything. SO BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Well I hope that's what is going to happen. But it seems a little suspect to me. It looks like its a competition to me. Now before you go :rolleyes: hear me out. You now see Clemson doing all these things in the Upstate (ICAR, the Research facilty in Anderson Co. the list can go on and on) in the first half of this year and now see USCS (USC) coming out with plans for this Greenville campus. Now barring they have been making plans (the name change and on campus housing) it still has to make you say huhhhhhhhh. And by the way with the president of the school  saying "In the last few years, the University of South Carolina has looked for ways to share resources and talent with other institutions for the good of our citizens," Sorensen said. "This agreement between USC, USC Upstate and Greenville Technical College embodies that philosophy of cooperation, outreach and thrift and, along with the new S.C. College of Pharmacy and the existing training program for USC medical students at Greenville Memorial Hospital, makes a University of South Carolina education even more attainable for the residents of Greenville and surrounding areas." It may have happened anyway. But all I am going to say to wrap up my conspiracy theory is if it is competition, it's goin' to help not not hurt anything. SO BRING IT ON!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No matter what the motivation, there really is no downside. So I agree, Bring it on.

My only disagreement about competition would be this - one is an engineering school & the other is liberal arts. Most often in the academic world it is highly segregated along those lines, so one group of people goes to USC & the other goes to Clemson, but of course at my high school - all the rich kids that flunked went to College of Charleston ;)

Ah yes, College of Charleston...or the "College of Knowledge" as some like to sarcastically call it. Seriously, it isn't a bad school (although that nickname does make me laugh).

I like the idea of USC Upstate having a campus in Greenville. I remember hearing several years ago that leaders in Greenville realized the need for Greenville to have a solid public four-year university. They stated that a metro of Greenville's size and importance was very much underrepresented in higher education for those who couldn't qualify/afford to attend places like Furman. So this recent announcement makes sense, and I imagine that this move was not a recent thing. I'm sure people have been working toward having a USC Upstate campus in Greenville for quite some time. Perhaps one day we will hear the story of how it all came about.

It is a good thing for USC Upstate and for Greenville. I hope they do indeed plan on growing the school, increasing program offerings, etc. The demand exists in Greenville, and I think the school will benefit from it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Archived