USC Upstate To Build Campus In Greenville!

goodbye

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Version70-8! Great to have you on board! :thumbsup: Hope to read more from you often.

Thanks! I have stopped by this site several times in the past few months and have always been extremely interested and pleased with what I read. Always had a view on everything in life anyway therefore I had to sign up so that I could join everyone. Will definitely be sharing frequently going forward!

Okay, I am confused. We all know that USC-Upstate is a regional campus of the main USC campus down in Columbia. So can anyone explain to me why USC-Upstate plans to have two separate locations here in the Upstate area? To me it would seem that a new location in Greenville should be just another site under the main system. The University Center is a nice facility with excellent opportunities for those interested in USC-Upstate to take classes offered by the university while avoiding the commute to Spartanburg. I mean, and really now, for those people who are not offered the courses they need at the "Center" they can still drive just a short distance to the Spartanburg campus. This proposed location in Greenville would even share Greenville Tech's library! Higher tuition is too high now as it is, especially with schools forced to increase tuition each year but yet we are supposed to support a brand new campus (when we can get the same benefits at the University Center right now) that we are not immediately in need of and freely spend millions in already strapped funds?

USC Upstate has out grown the University Center, they have to many students to continue at the University Center.

This is why we need a fixed regional mass transit system in the Upstate. Just think, a commuter rail line from Greenville to Spartanburg with stops at all of our various colleges and universities. I can dream :P

The reason that Upstate is building it is most likely becuase they want the USC-Upstate moniker, since Greenville is in the Upstate.

Now the question is what will it be called? USCUG?

and welcome to the forum v70-8!

Just for kicks, I thought I would make a list of the Colleges and Universities with campuses in Greenville that I can think of. Let me know if I've forgotten any. :thumbsup:

• Furman University

• Bob Jones University

• Clemson University (ICAR)

• North Greenville University (just became a U.)

• Greenville Technical College

• Webster University

• Southern Wesleyan University

• Strayer University

• ITT Technical Institute

• ECPI College of Technology

• Holmes Bible College

• Greenville Hospital System Health Sciences Research Institute

University Center

• University of South Carolina Upstate

• Medical University of South Carolina

• University of South Carolina

• Clemson University

• Lander University

• Furman University

• South Carolina State University

• Greenville Technical College

Hmm, obviously if they need more room then I can understand a larger space somewhere (ie. a spot further into the old mall area where there is an abundance of space) BUT an entire campus? (Not to mention it being located right behind GTC, how creative?) Dunno, just seems IMO that we should hold off and spend those construction funds elsewhere right now?

Oh, and thanks you all for the welcome!

USC Upstate will keep nearly the same level of courses/overall presence at the University Center. I heard Drs. Stockwell and Barton speak on this last Friday. Interestingly, Dr. Barton stated that Furman, Lander, and MUSC offer only 1 or 2 courses a piece, SC State offers none presently. USCU offers about 55% of the courses at the UCG, Clemson is at 35%, USC 15%. Makes sense when you view this in the context of the respective missions of each institution.

Also, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University is currently considering setting up an extension campus in Greenville.

USC Upstate will keep nearly the same level of courses/overall presence at the University Center. I heard Drs. Stockwell and Barton speak on this last Friday. Interestingly, Dr. Barton stated that Furman, Lander, and MUSC offer only 1 or 2 courses a piece, SC State offers none presently. USCU offers about 55% of the courses at the UCG, Clemson is at 35%, USC 15%. Makes sense when you view this in the context of the respective missions of each institution.

Also, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University is currently considering setting up an extension campus in Greenville.

Just being picky here, but USCU is in Union. The shorthand for USC Upstate is just 'Upstate'

We haven't really discussed it here, but transformation of Greenville Hospital System into Greenville Hospital System-University Medical Center has the potential to be really big for Greenville. Academic medicine, and everything involved with medical research (grants, funding, publications, etc.), are so important when it comes to hospital reputation. With the involvement of Clemson, MUSC, etc. in the new GHS-UMC collaboration, the city of Greenville has a chance to really make strides in the coming years when it comes to medical research and innovation.

Our state now has academic medical centers in Greenville, Charleston, and Columbia. I heard that the USC School of Medicine in Columbia, which already allows 15-20 students each year to complete their third and fourth years of medical school in Greenville, is planning on expanding that program in the coming years because the demand has increased. :thumbsup:

I just heard that there were 300 qualified applicants for 30 available seats in the nursing program at Greenville Tech. Obviously the demand is at a tremendous high. Also, the Greenville Hospital System is planning to begin preliminary site-work for the new 100,000sf medical reaserch institute building at the main campus in November. Part of the training will be done at the Patewood campus, which is undergoing a large addition. :)

I just heard that there were 300 qualified applicants for 30 available seats in the nursing program at Greenville Tech. Obviously the demand is at a tremendous high. Also, the Greenville Hospital System is planning to begin preliminary site-work for the new 100,000sf medical reaserch institute building at the main campus in November. Part of the training will be done at the Patewood campus, which is undergoing a large addition. :)

WOW really!?

That's amazing. The Memorial hospital for GHS is HUGE! I am just wowed and amazed everytime i go by there. I don't think i would be able to navigate it on the inside... They just keep building! GOOD FOR GREENVILLE! They definitely help drive the economy here.

Just being picky here, but USCU is in Union. The shorthand for USC Upstate is just 'Upstate'

Thanks. I should've known that, but did not.

My last thought on the subject: Dr. Stockwell (USC Upstate's Chancelor) has said they look to UNC-Charlotte and University of Central Florida as 'metropolitan universities' to emulate. If true, this is very good news for the Upstate as both of those universities are major economic drivers in their communities.

All I knew about was UNC-Charlotte's campus on Harris Blvd. They have their research facilities there as well. Perhaps they have some course offerings downtown as well?

I think there is something in the works as far as course offerings uptown goes, but I personally wouldn't call UNCC a "metropolitan university." That's not to say it isn't a good school, however.

As a graduate, I can definitely confirm that UCF (AKA "Central Florida" :rolleyes:) has multiple campuses, yes: Melbourne, Daytona, Ocala, etc.

http://regionalcampuses.ucf.edu/

I'm not sure about U.N.C.C. though.

Thanks. Do you know if UCF ever had and affiliation with the university of Florida? I'm still trying to understand. I guess I'm questioning a USC Upstate being an affiliate of USC, and then also having multiple campuses. Could this be laying the ground-work for separating from the USC system and simply becoming Upstate University.

Also:

The UNCC model doesn't work for me on a couple of levels. First, I think they only have the one campus.

They are also regional force with a city name. One of the reasons for changing the name was "people in Greenville won't support and University with a Spartanburg name. To me, that is the same as saying a Carolina fan would never go to Clemson or vice-versa. I know a bunch that do, because they are more concerned with their education.

Another argument has been the commute. We have all traveled enough to know that a 30-45 minute commute is nothing.

Even with all that said, I'm still OK with the name change. My concerns come down to funding and potential for research. USC Upstate has always complained that they were not receiving their fair share of state funds, and this can potentially take more funds from the main campus. However I think the USC board may go along with the expansion, because even though it is not "planned", I could easily see Clemson setting up more than graduate programs at ICAR.

Per your UNC-C comments...

This doesn't really refute your argument, but UNC-Charlotte will be participating in the $1B Dole Foods Biotech Research Campus in Kannapolis. (not a typo, one billion dollar campus, very roughly 70% private dollars, 30% public dollars).

Also, a 'metropolitan university' can be viewed as a technical term.

What is a metropolitan university?

http://cumu.uc.iupui.edu/description.asp

What colleges consider themselves metropolitan universities?

http://cumu.uc.iupui.edu/directory.asp

(as I understand it, USC Upstate was a founding member of this coalition that includes UCF, UNC-C)

(Just looked at my notes, Portland State and Towson University are two others that Dr. Stockwell mentioned as benchmarks)

Per your UNC-C comments...

This doesn't really refute your argument, but UNC-Charlotte will be participating in the $1B Dole Foods Biotech Research Campus in Kannapolis. (not a typo, one billion dollar campus, very roughly 70% private dollars, 30% public dollars).

Also, a 'metropolitan university' can be viewed as a technical term.

What is a metropolitan university?

http://cumu.uc.iupui.edu/description.asp

What colleges consider themselves metropolitan universities?

http://cumu.uc.iupui.edu/directory.asp

(as I understand it, USC Upstate was a founding member of this coalition that includes UCF, UNC-C)

(Just looked at my notes, Universities in Portland and Townsend, MD are two others that Dr. Stockwell mentioned as benchmarks)

Excellent info EDPro! Thanks! Great reading!

In understanding the definition of Metropolitan Universities, am I correct in the following? USC Upstate is a Metropolitan due to the nature of it's student enrollment....mostly from the metro area, while USC is not, because its enrollment is from around the state and multiple states? Same with Tennessee-Chattanooga (which is) and Tennessee in Knoxville which isn't.

Some excellent universities on the list!

Archived