When will G-Boro get a new downtown tower

NcSc74

I have read something about a vision tower in downtown a while ago but really what is the timeframe. I don't wan't the boro to slack on downtown office development to much. Imagine all of the midrises and towers that it has now located in the center city. I love Greensboro but it downtown just does not match its size. Also when I left there in about 95 I think there was a flyover being built on 40 next to four seasons is that true or not.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read something about a vision tower in downtown a while ago but really what is the timeframe. I don't wan't the boro to slack on downtown office development to much. Imagine all of the midrises and towers that it has now located in the center city. I love Greensboro but it downtown just does not match its size. Also when I left there in about 95 I think there was a flyover being built on 40 next to four seasons is that true or not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I honestly think that most cities in NC have small downtowns/skylines for their respective populations.......especially Greensboro, Durham, and Fayetteville.

Winston-Salem's skyline is bigger than Greensboro's, yet G-boro has about 40k more in the city limits than does W-S. Greensboro's DT should be about twice it's current size.

I think the best chance for a new tower in GBoro in the near future will likely be residential. There hasn't been much demand in a while dt for class a office space. Other than that you might see a mid-rise to a small tower hotel announced in the near future. And of course eventually, and I say eventually, a new federal courthouse will be built dt and it is suppose to be a tower, although not very tall.

I think the best chance for a new tower in GBoro in the near future will likely be residential. There hasn't been much demand in a while dt for class a office space. Other than that you might see a mid-rise to a small tower hotel announced in the near future. And of course eventually, and I say eventually, a new federal courthouse will be built dt and it is suppose to be a tower, although not very tall.

Actually there is an office tower proposal. Its actually the new proposed federal courthouse building and is project to be between 16 and 20 stories tall. Construction was suppose to begin next year but President Bush put federal courthouse construction project across the country on hold so construction will be delayed. With the war in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina and now Rita aid. It might be a while before these projects are put back on track.

Also there is another office tower project planned for Greensboro but the building wont be downtown. It will be located near the intersection of I-40 and Highway 68 near the airport and next to the 7-story Embassy Suites Hotel. It will be called Triad Tower and is planned to be 14-stories. But if interest in leasing is strong, the developer may construct the building to be 23-stories. It will have an aquarium on the first floor, A restaurant on the top floor and a roof top observational deck open to the public. It sounds like you've been away from Greensboro a long while. There have been alot of changes. Part of Greensboros urban loop is completed and another big portion is currently under construction. The loop will have massive interchanges with stack bridges and flyover ramps. I-40 near the airport is now 10 lanes (5 lanes in each direction). Downtown is booming and has a very vibrant night life with many restaurants, bars, nightclubs, theater, ect. Downtown is packed with people at night. The new ballpark for downtown has been great and a major development will be built next to the ballpark the will have mid-rise residential buildins, office space, a hotel and more. There are also a number of planned residential development planned or are under construction downtown. You should see the Southside downtown residential neighborhood. While downtown's skyline hasnt changed between 1995 and 2005, the vibe of downtown has definately changed. The 16-story old Wachovia Building will be converted to apartments/condos and will have a restuarnt on the first floor. The center-city park is under construction and is across from the old Wachovia Building. Elon University School of Law will be opening downtown and the Interntational Civil Rights Museum is under construction in the old Woolwroth Building.

I honestly think that most cities in NC have small downtowns/skylines for their respective populations.......especially Greensboro, Durham, and Fayetteville.

Winston-Salem's skyline is bigger than Greensboro's, yet G-boro has about 40k more in the city limits than does W-S. Greensboro's DT should be about twice it's current size.

W-S, Charlotte, and Asheville may be the only cities in NC with skylines that reflect their population well.

I blame it on politics: the cities embraced sprawl between 1995 and 2005, thus no major changes occurred downtown. It looks like that's turning around in every city now, which is really encouraging.

I think that while Greensboro and Durham are a ways off from new towers, it is inevitable, and in the meantime they've taken great strides with improving commerce and retail downtown.

W-S, Charlotte, and Asheville may be the only cities in NC with skylines that reflect their population well.

I blame it on politics: the cities embraced sprawl between 1995 and 2005, thus no major changes occurred downtown. It looks like that's turning around in every city now, which is really encouraging.

I think that while Greensboro and Durham are a ways off from new towers, it is inevitable, and in the meantime they've taken great strides with improving commerce and retail downtown.

I know the old saying goes grow out then grwo up but with gas prices on the rise I hope all of the new attention DT is getting will include a residential tower or two. That is if transit is incorporated into the plans. I think NC cities as whole have to tale a look at there grwoth patterns and limit sprawl. I am not saying stop it all together. Single family homes and subdivisions are what people from the north are find attractive here. So trying to be like NE cities that are dense throughout would not appeal to this inlux of newcomers. IMO I don't think our cities should stop sprawl. Just manage it so that it can be connected to the rest of the city and not create traffic nightmares. Give people options for commutes and I bet they will use it. Is just a mindset change thats all.

Archived