Hard Rock Theme Park coming to Myrtle Beach?

RestedTraveler

Just saw this article on the WYFF4 site up here in Greenville:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/5001116/detail.html

If HRP can secure some investors and the needed financing, this could be a pretty cool thing for the Grand Strand. It sure beats the old amusement park at Lakewood Family Campground :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see if they make a go at a location where so many businesses have failed. The problem of course is getting across the intercoastal. The only way, at that location, is the same bridge that has been there since 1960.

Does anyone know when they'll replace the bridge? I assume that when the new bridge (the Fantasy Harbour bridge) is built, traffic will be redirected temporarily. That bridge has been there since 1962.

Waccamaw didn't have a great location since it was 'west of the waterway'. To add to that, SCDOT made US 501 a freeway through that area.

Anyway, now that Myrtle Beach has grown, the area will probably do fine.

• 6 months later...

Looks as if Myrtle Beach will get the Carolina's second theme park (Carowinds is the other) which would make it the first new theme park announced in the two states in more than 3 decades. The park will cost $400 million initially and will be located on the site of the former Waccamaw Pottery. It will be 140 acres in size (Carowinds is 105 acres for comparison purposes) but they have yet to announce any attractions. There are plans for a hotel and amphitheater as well. They expect 30,000 visitors/day during peak times the first year it is open.

They expect to run the park for a 10 month season, versus 7 months for Carowinds due to the milder weather. This is the largest single investment in tourism infrastructure in SC's history and will mean 3000 new jobs to the already booming area. It's is also one of the largest job announcements in SC in recent history.

My opinion is this is the real reason the Pavillion is being closed.

[merged topic]

Considering this will add 3000 direct new jobs to the Myrtle Beach economy, and 1000's more in indirect jobs. I would say this is one of the largest job announcements, ever, in South Carolina. Myrtle Beach is becoming a real economic engine in SC.

I may need to move to Myrtle Beach. I'm graduating soon, and I sure wouldn't mind working/living in Myrtle Beach.

Once Myrtle Beach gets that interstate access they've been begging for, they'll be all set.

Considering this will add 3000 direct new jobs to the Myrtle Beach economy, and 1000's more in indirect jobs. I would say this is one of the largest job announcements, ever, in South Carolina. Myrtle Beach is becoming a real economic engine in SC.

The Hard Rock announcement is huge! This is great for South Carolina! :yahoo: I think as South Carolinians we should stop saying "the big 3" and start refering to "the big 4". Something of this magnitude will definitely put Myrtle Beach on par with any vacation destination anywhere in the US. :thumbsup:

Once Myrtle Beach gets that interstate access they've been begging for, they'll be all set.

Very true! Myrtle Beach is already a big tourist destination without any interstate access. I can't even imagine how the city will be once interstate access is a reality.

Archived