Hard Rock Theme Park coming to Myrtle Beach?

RestedTraveler

I can't believe you all!! I am for the HRP but this is no reason the Pavilion should close. The Pavilion, while being the historic icon it is, can offer a certain magic that no inland theme park can match.

Not trying to be judgemental, as I know nothing about any of you here, but from my past dealings in amusement preservation, it is usually the 20 and below age group that have no sense of historical preservation. It's all "tear it down" or "we want newer, bigger, better"......

Yes, times have changed. But once it's gone, it gone forever. There is no guarantee the HRP will succeed. I hope it does. But what happens if it doesn't. Then there will be no Pavilion and no HRP.

Magic Harbor Theme Park in Surfside did not succeed along with a number of other large scale businesses in the MB area.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe you all!! I am for the HRP but this is no reason the Pavilion should close. The Pavilion, while being the historic icon it is, can offer a certain magic that no inland theme park can match.

Not trying to be judgemental, as I know nothing about any of you here, but from my past dealings in amusement preservation, it is usually the 20 and below age group that have no sense of historical preservation. It's all "tear it down" or "we want newer, bigger, better"......

Yes, times have changed. But once it's gone, it gone forever. There is no guarantee the HRP will succeed. I hope it does. But what happens if it doesn't. Then there will be no Pavilion and no HRP.

Magic Harbor Theme Park in Surfside did not succeed along with a number of other large scale businesses in the MB area.

actually swampfox i'm 39. the pavillion is just last thursday. it's my feeling that (and i could be wrong) hrp will help mb achieve a more upscale atmosphere. i am sooooo tired of mb being referred to as the redneck riviera. hrp should help shed this attiude.

That was a double failure for that location. Prior to being Magic Harbor, it was PirateLand. Only the campground next door remains from that endeavor.

There was also another theme park in Myrtle Beach called FrontierLand (I believe, it was a long time ago). It failed as well. Ironically it was also located on 501 just a little further west than the proposal for Hard Rock Park.

I may be under 20 but I think more people will be for Hard Rock...Kids will like it better than the Pavillion as well as older people..It's a bigger range so I think it's better...I mean, a landmark or not if they are replacing it then its not bad. Can't keep everything forever.

I wish there was a way to keep the Pavilion as well as building Hard Rock. The Hard Rock park will definitely be a huge draw for tourists around the country, and when the interstate is built, MB could become a SC version of Orlando, eventually drawing higer-end businesses. I'm all for it...I think it will be an awesome park!

The Pavilion needs to be kept or preserved in some way to draw an alternative form of tourism. MB could claim to have both an historical and modern theme park. Somebody needs to see if Six Flags or Universal might be interested in buying this park.

Somebody needs to see if Six Flags or Universal might be interested in buying this park.

I am writing this from work so I do not have my notes with me. There is a company called TRex that has recently started buying closed or failing amusement parks. There most recent purchase was Joyland Park in Wichita, KS which has been dormant for several years. They are putting millions into the park and will be opening it in May. I think they also purchased NC's Ghost Town in the Sky (Maggie Valley) which has been closed for several years.

The Pavilion would be a great purchase if B&C would let it go. I stress the point that the only reason The Pavilion has been losing money (according to B&C) is simply because they have not put any major investments into it since 2000. No amusement park will thrive without continual investments. The Hard Rock Park will be facing the same challenge as all theme parks do.

I wish there was a way to keep the Pavilion as well as building Hard Rock. The Hard Rock park will definitely be a huge draw for tourists around the country, and when the interstate is built, MB could become a SC version of Orlando, eventually drawing higer-end businesses. I'm all for it...I think it will be an awesome park!

The Pavilion needs to be kept or preserved in some way to draw an alternative form of tourism. MB could claim to have both an historical and modern theme park. Somebody needs to see if Six Flags or Universal might be interested in buying this park.

Very true! I'm a part of the so called "youngster" group and I am all for the Pavilion being saved. Nothing beats an amusement park that's on the ocean. If MB could have both it would be great.

• 2 months later...

I used to vacation once in a while in the Myrlte Beach Resort just south of Magic Harbor and I thought it closed because of a roller coaster (the one you could see from the parking lot) failed and people fell to their death?

The waterslide next to it (magic mountain?) survived a couple of years after that, but not much longer.

The MB Resort failed because it was sandwiched between two campgrounds and those visitors came up via the beach and took over the pools, cabana, etc. We would watch them scurry out as soon as the bar closed down every night from the 10th floor of the tower.

The Pavillion *was* Myrtle Beach.. right in the middle of everything! I imagine not being to expand hurts, but it is the perfect "what do you do at night since you can't go in the ocean" type of place.

I kind of remember some mini-park that had the Swamp Fox wooden roller coaster in it, but have a hard time remembering where that was. There was a weird "spinning glass maze" that I got stuck in and someone had to come fetch me out of!

• 1 month later...

That was a double failure for that location. Prior to being Magic Harbor, it was PirateLand. Only the campground next door remains from that endeavor.

I used to go to this amusement park quite often. I camped out at Lakewood Family Campground during the out-of-school months when I was a kid. It was a nice park, but it really seemed as though it catered only to the people who were staying at the campgrounds (Pirate's Cove (I think that was the name) and Lakewood). It was kinda cool because you could ride a tram from your campsite into the amusement park and trams were pretty cool when I was a kid...I guess I've always been a fan of mass transit. :lol:

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is a terrible website. Gives this project far less credibility, especially something hardrock would do. Honestly I did better HTML websites and geocities websites in the 90s. I would take the pavilion over the feel this project is giving me any day. We'll just have to see.

This is hardrocks website. http://www.hardrock.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hard Rock Park files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/loca...ory/607115.html Park to be shut down for rest of 2008. Am I suprised? Nope. Too expensive, not enough rides, wrong time to build it, wrong theming, etc. For every one thing that this park did right, there were two things they did wrong.

Archived