Civic Plaza 100 W. 4th St.

twincity

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don Julio, where were they starting the demolition? :blink: I drove by tonight and there is no demo from what I could/can see. All there was was some gates blocking off access to the buildings on Fourth and that's it.

Yeah, 3rd street side is where the "excitement" is. From what i gather from pieced together info and renderings, the exact spot where they are doing demo now would be where part of the park goes. They will probably keep going with the demo to clear out the whole area that is fenced off right now (except for the actual Pepper building, that proabably will be a little more complicated demo strategy). I think as far as actual Construction time line, One Park Vista will begin before the park or the mixed use high rise.

I haven't heard anything new with the courthouse property across the Liberty street. I think most people want to try and preserve that property and refurb it for some sort of public use (museum, etc.) if an agreement can be met that is economically feasable i guess.

so, yep, interesting stuff.

I go away for a few days and all sorts of stuff happens. :D

I must admit this is a surprise. I thought Neimann had to come back to the city with a plan which then has to be approved. Starting demolition already indicates some sort of implicit approval of the process though if it is just the park which bridges the Civic Plaza and One Vista Place then maybe the demolition is more for the One Vista Place development which is proceeding apace rather than the Civic Plaza project.

Looks like 20 stories?

civic_plaza.jpg

new rendering of Civic Plaza from jdavisarchitechts.com

-210 units up from 100

-40,000 sf office

-20,000 sf retail

those are all the newest details so far. thoughts?

Looking at this image more closely and lacking any more information which I have been searching for lately on this project, I am somewhat ambivalent about this design. The perspective appears to be from Fourth St looking southeast towards the Wachovia Tower. The main part of the tower appears to be mostly glass and steel which is somewhat different than the brick or stone facing most other buildings in the immediate vicinity have. It may be too bright with all of the reflective glass and metallic surfaces for the Fourth St area but is more in keeping with what is on Second St with the Wachovia and BB&T buildings.

Also, the description mentions retail space at 20,000 sf. That is a fair bit of space but looking from this image persepective, the retail area does not appear to be street level but rather within the building itself which may be a mistake as the One West building tried to do something similar and failed for the most part.

The gazebo like structure at the ground level of the building facing the park looks like what the Wachovia tower has at its base. If it is a viewing platform where people can congreate and relax, this may turn out to be a good thing as people tend to go to the Copening Plaza for that purpose during the daytime.

The description from the architect site was :

The site which is bounded by Fourth Street, Liberty Street, Third Street and Town Run Lane will also have a plaza which weaves together the Trade Street Arts District, Restaurant Row of Fourth Street and The Town Run Lane strollway to create a new civic center for downtown Winston-Salem.

I like to see how this is accomplished to tie in all of these areas especially for the Trade St tie in as there is a big gap between Fifth St and Fourth St that needs to be upgraded to truly connect the Arts District to this area.

Still, I like to see some official word before making anymore comment.

no official news yet on the tower but i guess this could be a small affrimation that something is still planned for the pepper building site. heres a video from WXII on downtown development, which highlights Civic Plaza!

video

That information about the Pepper building contradicts everything we have been hearing about it to date and I do not think it was not in that recent graphic about the new tower for the Civic Plaza development.

Ok, with all our resident "in the know" folks here, can't we get some confirmation on the plans and when an official announcement will be made?

Yeah, an "official" announcement probably won't happen until all the right people (developer, city, etc) sign on the line when everybody is happy with the MONEY issue. I assume they are still ironing out the details on who gets what money and when do they get it. Hopefully this will all be worked out "soon" (before New Years).

I can't wait for this tower to come along, it is very nice and I hope it and the park will be a catalyst for even more projects downtown.

• 3 weeks later...

we have confirmation! an article in today's journal explains the development proposed for civic plaza which "...could dramatically change Winston-Salem's downtown skyline. It would bring new homes, shops, offices and a centerpiece plaza to the heart of the city and a section along Third and Fourth streets, an area that is currently home to vacant buildings and a parking lot.The Pepper Building, owned by the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership, could be demolished to make way for a 20-story high-rise. The historic courthouse, vacant and owned by Forsyth County, could be used for shops or offices. The parking lot on the south side of the Pepper Building could be covered by the new high-rise..."

we'll see if this tax-increment financing will workout. by using this method, mayor Joines says the park will pay for itself.

"It's going to happen, it's just a matter of when," Thiel (president of DWSP) said.

article

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been anything more on this project? What's the latest? Is the rendering on the architect's website still what is being proposed (20+ story building along Liberty from 4th to the 3rd w/ the Pepper Bldg being demolished)?

Winston-Salem city mayor Allen Joines said in a meeting a week ago that they are currently working on financing options and it was an up hill struggle, but they are making progress.

• 3 weeks later...

:( the tower is back down to 14 storys according to today's journal. that rendering from the architecht's website was released to show a potential height for the tower if demand is high. so now we're back to the original proposal.

Aww shucks!! I really wanted to see a 20+ story addition to the skyline. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that maybe they'll change their minds again before construction.... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived