Civic Plaza 100 W. 4th St.

twincity

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those of you who were planning to attend this afternoon's meeting, I deeply apologize if you were turned away. Apparently, some last minute changes were made that didn't include Chamber members or local workers. An e-mail was sent out late yesterday afternoon to inform us of the changes. I had meetings with some potential clients this morning and didn't get the e-mail till I was told at the meeting it was sent out. Again, I am very sorry if any of you revised your plans in order to attend this event. From what I have been told, there will be public meetings coming up soon to discuss the project with everyone.

This afternoon I spoke to a man who is very close to the Civic Plaza plan. We went over several pages worth of site plans and renderings. He informed me that this is still a conceptual rendering, but it will be what we'll likely see as the final product.

A couple of things to note:

-The castle (12+ stories high rise) will be mixed use with ground floor retail, office space, and condominiums.

-They need an anchor tenant for the high-rise (Piedmont Federal?).

-More or less, the 6-story building attached to the Pepper Building will be a twin of One Park Vista.

-The sheriff's office will be moving; however, its site will not be apart of Avant's plan. It will likely be bought up by another developer.

-The park will be 1 acre in size.

-The Pepper Building will be converted into rental units with ground floor retail. Possibly, they will be turned into condos after 5 years have passed.

As promised, a better rendering of the project:

2787034863_e537b67f89_o.jpg

Public meetings will be coming up soon where they want the community's input. I would advise those of you who want nothing but the best for our downtown to go to these. I was also told that this will be the developer of the project. From what I gathered, it appears Avant wants to go full steam ahead with this and provide his residents with the park they were promised as quickly as possible.

Thanks for this rendering, and even though it's indicated as 12+, I count 16 or 17, which is good. It is at least not a flat-topper! The reference to needing an anchor for the high-rise indicates another taller tower to be built (hopefully), or does this refer to the one in the rendering?

Thanks for this rendering, and even though it's indicated as 12+, I count 16 or 17, which is good. It is at least not a flat-topper! The reference to needing an anchor for the high-rise indicates another taller tower to be built (hopefully), or does this refer to the one in the rendering?

They need an anchor for Phase III (the castle tower in the rendering). I expect this tower to go through many revisions before we see the final product. Also, look at the old courthouse in the rendering. It appears he plans to remove the wings added in the '50's and put in a circular drive. Hotel?

They need an anchor for Phase III (the castle tower in the rendering). I expect this tower to go through many revisions before we see the final product. Also, look at the old courthouse in the rendering. It appears he plans to remove the wings added in the '50's and put in a circular drive. Hotel?

JerseyBoy, I assume Phase I is the current One Park Vista, Phase II includes restoration of Pepper Building, twin to 1 Park Vista, and Park and Phase III is the 12+ Story tower? If so which pahse is the Courthouse in? Please clarify?

From my understanding:

Phase I - Park

Phase II - OPV Twin and renovation of the Pepper Building

Phase III - 12+ story castle-esque building

I could be wrong about the first two phases, but this is how it was described to me and what I remember reading on Fox 8. Interestingly, they took down their article with the details. I would assume this plan does not include One Park Vista in the phases as it is already (technically) completed. It has not been mentioned yet whether or not the courthouse is part of his new plan. Though it's clear that he is interested in the site.

So, this is it, then, bummer. I still count 16 or 17 in the 12+, and as indicated, at least it's not a flat-topper. Whatever happened to the two towers at 24 and 23 stories with renderings in the 2007 DWSP update? It's too bad, they're gone. Oh well, this will be better than nothing, so let's get it built, and maybe a few floors can be added to each - at least 20 for the so-called castle.

if he doesnt decide to add floors to phase III, i think the footprint of that block at 4th and Liberty would make up for the lack of height. it alone, is pretty impressive.

thanks for the rendering! someone on another forum stated that the city had interest in the courthouse as a museum. i dont know how true that is, but an upscale hotel fronting 4th sounds like a better solution.

thanks for the rendering! someone on another forum stated that the city had interest in the courthouse as a museum. i dont know how true that is, but an upscale hotel fronting 4th sounds like a better solution.

I have heard that as well, that they were wanting to remove the wings from the 50's and bring it back to it's original state and use it as a museum. I'm not sure it's big enough to be an upscale hotel, unless you added vertically and used the original part as lobby/meeting rooms..

• 2 weeks later...

some new numbers:

- 100 units

- 90,000 sf of office space

- 30,000 sf of retail space

- hotel

- conference center.

- 177 space parking deck.

the financing for the $6.5 million park and deck just cleared one hurdle. the finance committee of the W-S city council recommended funding. the city will meet on 9-15 to consider the request.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe, third time's a charm? Civic Plaza is back at square one...which is great news IMO. DWSP released the latest RFP this morning. Today's phase II is smaller than previous attempts, only including the Pepper building, adjacent Crawford building lot and the Piedmont Federal parking lot at Liberty and 3rd. The old courthouse and park are no longer part of phase II.

Read details below.

civic plaza rfp phase 2 final.pdf

• 3 months later...

It appears that U.S. Development out of Columbia, SC won the latest RFP bid? Last night's city council meeting mentioned that U.S. Development is interested in developing the Pepper Building and Coe Plaza on Trade street. Theyre seeking $6.5 million in stimulus money to help offset costs. The money can be used for construction, reconstruction, renovation and acquisition.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/apr/06/052315/2-projects-could-get-federal-money/

US Devpt has a very interesting portfolio. They have done numerous projects that are much alike the Pepper Building and Coe Plaza. Historic rehab and urban properties seems to be their specialty. With the help of federal stimulus funding they are very likely to take on the project and get moving because the stimulus funding comes with strict timelines. I hope they get the funds and get going. The civic plaza has had way too many setbacks and I am tired of talking about it. Lets get it over and move onto the next thing.

• 2 months later...

The demolition of the 2 one-story buildings at Civic Plaza is seen as a boost for phase II. Jason Thiel says they are currently in talks with developers to renovate the Pepper Building. Plans are apartments on the upper floors and retail space on the ground level. For the park, DWSP envisions a gathering place with landscape architecture and public art. He declined to give the name of the developers.

photo:

Down with the old

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/jun/28/piece-by-piece/

Yay they are finally tearing down these ugly boring buildings. We are at least a step closer to seeing something done with the Pepper Building and Civic Plaza. I hope to see the Pepper Building starting renovations before the year end. So tired of waiting on these projects because they are hindering the growth of this end of 4th street. I am also sure that One Park Vista residents would love to see something done to this grass pit

• 8 months later...

US Development releases details for the $6 milliom Pepper Building renovation project.

forsythFJ3442.jpg

- 50 apartments

- 3,500 sf ground floor retail space

- restaurant facing Civic Plaza

- dining deck

- glass atrium

David Bryant, USD president is seeking national historic status for the builing.

http://www.midlandsbiz.com/articles/7489/

What a great re-use of the Pepper Building. I look forward to seeing this project when its completed.

• 1 year later...

Finally the Pepper Building in the center of downtown Winston-Salem has been sold to Michael Coe to be developed into 54 apartments and a new restaurant in a joint-partnership with US Development.  The building sold for $801,000 from the Downtown Winston-Salem Foundation.  Hopefully, the movement on this building will force the city to find the money to develop the park.  Articles:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2013/01/31/coe-buys-pepper-building-in-downtown.html

• 3 years later...

After years of talk, there finally is an initial proposal as to what Merschel Plaza could become. These preliminary drawings are to initiate the dialogue as to what the plaza will ultimately  become. With Sciworks/Childrens Museum contemplating the old Sheriff's Department Building facing the area and construction on the Pepper Building finally getting  under way, there's finally enough momentum in the immediate area to start the process of determining what is the best use of this space.

56bd59bc6dd7f.image.jpgImage

Archived