Civic Plaza 100 W. 4th St.

twincity

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

UPDATE!! THE PEPPER BUILDING MAY BE SAVED AS LUXURY APARTMENTS!!!

Civic Plaza has (again) been reworked. In the new plan, the Pepper building would be saved and restored as apartments. Also, 3rd street would be closed to accomodate a 14 story condo tower. A new street 2 1/2 ST. would be created. The plaza would still be retained as well.

I hope this project moves forward, it seems 'stuck' in the design adjustment phase....

WSJ Article about Civic Plaza and the Pepper Building

I think saving the Pepper Building is a good move. I wish that instead of building a tower with such a large footprint, they would build a taller tower with a footprint towards the southern end of the site. Shorter stout/wide buildings - especially residential ones - tend to not look very attractive (One West Fourth is an excellent example of this). And, by pushing a more slender tower to the south of the site (between the new 2-1/2 St and the existing 3rd St) would also fill in a gap between the Winston Tower and the Wachovia Center as well as not obscure the view of the Winston Tower and the R.J. Reynolds Building. As for expanding the Pepper Building, it might be interesting to do something like ShoP Architects in New York's rehabilitation and addition to the Porter House (http://www.shoparc.com/places.php?pr=16&id=1&p=3) along the west (the facade facing Civic Plaza) and to the south (facing the Wachovia Center).

As for expanding the Pepper Building, it might be interesting to do something like ShoP Architects in New York's rehabilitation and addition to the Porter House (http://www.shoparc.com/places.php?pr=16&id=1&p=3) along the west (the facade facing Civic Plaza) and to the south (facing the Wachovia Center).

That's an interesting expansion on the Porter House... don't know if it would fly here, maybe if it blended with the architectural style a bit better...

That's an interesting expansion on the Porter House... don't know if it would fly here, maybe if it blended with the architectural style a bit better...

I guess I'll have to disagree with you about blending it with the "architectural style." Have you seen the southern and western elevations of the Pepper Building? I don't think they are in keeping with the "style" any more than a contemporary addition along the lines of the Porter House project is. And, a contemporary structure perched on either or both of those sides of the building would provide an interesting backdrop to the park as well as an interesting face to the building coming down 4th Street from the west.

• 2 months later...

pepperEnlarge.gif

Trade street needs to be realigned in order for this project to have the maximum impact at the 4th street intersection. right now, its really awkward driving in this area. closed at 5th street, one way from 4th to 5th, 2-way from WSTA to 4th. A 2-way Trade street would blend Civic Plaza with Twin City Quarter and the Arts district. It would also encourage the development of the 5th and Trade lot and possibly bring retail to the empty store fronts in the CVS vicinity.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived