N.O. HORNETS

fromdust

Byron Scott wants the team to stay in OKC:

Hornets coach Byron Scott says team should stay in Oklahoma

He might want it just like Benson wanted to move the Saints to San Antonio but I just don't see it happening. I think what OKC needs to do is simply show that they can host an NBA team and try to get a team either moved there(that won't be as contraversial as thr Hornets) or try to get an expansion team.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ The Hornets weren't doing well in New Orleans, but are doing terrific now. They should stay. The Saints situation is totally different as the franchise was there for decades.

I still think the NBA would catch a lot of crap if they let a New Orleans franchise move out under these circumstances. I just personally don't see it happening.

In a business sense, it simply isn't logical. Everyone wants to see NO restored to its full former glory. But NO wasn't making money for the NBA even before the hurricane. OKC is.

A lot of the star players for the Hornets are rookies that have never played in New Orleans, and thus consider OKC to be their NBA home. In any case, OKC has proven itself worthy of an NBA team by far. I think OKC should get the Hornets, and NO should get another team when it's fully ready to support an NBA team.

OKC is now loyal to the Hornets, and the Hornets are loyal to OKC.

We'll see what the decision makers say, but remember that a failing team in New Orleans will have to be financed by those decision makers. Putting a team back in NO so soon will cost them some dollars for many seasons until NO has the kind of population to support two pro franchises.

In a business sense, it simply isn't logical. Everyone wants to see NO restored to its full former glory. But NO wasn't making money for the NBA even before the hurricane. OKC is.

A lot of the star players for the Hornets are rookies that have never played in New Orleans, and thus consider OKC to be their NBA home. In any case, OKC has proven itself worthy of an NBA team by far. I think OKC should get the Hornets, and NO should get another team when it's fully ready to support an NBA team.

OKC is now loyal to the Hornets, and the Hornets are loyal to OKC.

We'll see what the decision makers say, but remember that a failing team in New Orleans will have to be financed by those decision makers. Putting a team back in NO so soon will cost them some dollars for many seasons until NO has the kind of population to support two pro franchises.

Yeah I certainly do see where you're coming from. I can't even say that I disagree with it. But I think there could be a lot of fall out and bad publicity for the NBA is they pull a team out of New Orleans though.

Definitely. That's why the NBA officials outside of the Hornets organization are taking so long to decide and being so cautious every time they say something about the situation... Tiptoes.

It's really a difficult situation, if they choose money and success, they will cause controversy and embarassment. If they choose the best option morally and politically, they will lose money and have a poor team. They're between a rock and a hard place.

Sounds like that at the moment ESPN is reporting that the Hornets will play most of the 2006-2007 season in OKC with a few games in New Orleans. But supposedly the 2007-2008 season will all be in New Orleans. Like I said that's what is the official word at the moment.

It's really a difficult situation, if they choose money and success, they will cause controversy and embarassment. If they choose the best option morally and politically, they will lose money and have a poor team. They're between a rock and a hard place.

The Hornets have already demonstrated that money and success are more important than anything else by their move from Charlotte to NO in the first place. I predict they will move to OK even thought they might take a while to admit to it. It will mostly depend however upon which city they can get the most money from the taxpayers.

The immoral thing will be if they spend re-construction money in NO to keep the Hornets. i.e Money to help the millionares instead of money to help the poor.

The immoral thing will be if they spend re-construction money in NO to keep the Hornets. i.e Money to help the millionares instead of money to help the poor.

As much as I hate to think about it, if the governmental structure in New Orleans is not changed for the better after the city mayoral and council elections in April, it wouldn't suprise me to see something like this take place, or at least be attempted.

Archived