Global Warming and Hurricanes

Viper

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get more and more disgusted with this administration every day.

Oh well.. a recent poll found that only 35% of Minnesotans approved of him. That's good news in my book! Even more amazing is that his approval rating is 31% on the Iron Range in northern Minnesota and only 37% in the very Republican southern part of the state. An approval rating hasn't sank this low for a president since Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal. Good job Bush, you've really done yourself a good job.

As far as 2005 being the warmest on record, that'll be a hard sell because December was actually quite average nationally. February 2005 to January 2006 could easily be the warmest "12 month period" on record, however.

I get more and more disgusted with this administration every day.

Oh well.. a recent poll found that only 35% of Minnesotans approved of him. That's good news in my book! Even more amazing is that his approval rating is 31% on the Iron Range in northern Minnesota and only 37% in the very Republican southern part of the state. An approval rating hasn't sank this low for a president since Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal. Good job Bush, you've really done yourself a good job.

As far as 2005 being the warmest on record, that'll be a hard sell because December was actually quite average nationally. February 2005 to January 2006 could easily be the warmest "12 month period" on record, however.

I truly do despise him (President Bush)! If anybody here likes him I do respect that. Who knows what we don't know that he has done! I agree with you. Is anybody watching or watched his State of The Union address?

I truly do despise him (President Bush)! If anybody here likes him I do respect that. Who knows what we don't know that he has done! I agree with you. Is anybody watching or watched his State of The Union address?

I was listening to part of it on the radio. The man sounds like a piece of wet cardboard. Don't ask me what I think of his non-existent leadership abilities. Most Presidents show their best side in a crisis. Katrina and Rita proved this guy has no good side.

<end rant>

Try this site out.

http://www.iamamerica.com/Pages/coasttocoast/ccindex.html

On the HISTORY Channel we have gone from Ice age to Global Warmer many times. As it gets warmer, more people, as the the weather cools less people.

I do not know it all that is in the artical will come true, but I have see a big change in weather patters.

• 2 weeks later...

The glaciers are flowing faster... which is causing the ice to calve into the ocean at a faster rate. They're not necessarily melting faster, just calving faster (more ice bergs).

This can be caused by several things, one of them, ironically, a snowier climate on the ice field. This isn't necessarily a sign of warmer climate.

It should also be known that from 1952-2002, the climate of Greenland actually got colder. Only in recent years, due to a switch from a positive to more negative North Atlantic Oscillation, has Greenland warmed up. At the same time, winters over the east coast have become more severe.

People will also tend to use end bias in their reports. They will often show you graphics from Greenland in 1992 and 2002 to show how fast the melt is accelerating. 1992 was a very cold year for the planet because of hte eruption of Mt. Pinatubo, and the melting of the glaciers was slowed. In 2002, for whatever reasons, the melt was very strong in Greenland.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...andicemelt.html This is not talking Calving Ice Bergs. This is talking melting. The other point that I mentioned talked about melting.

Here is a breakdown of temps worldwide since 1880.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/temperature/...ature_1880-2005 You decide if there is a trend.

The fact is: Greenland cooled from 1952-2002. The recent warming and scares abotu Greenland have all come to us after 2002.

Greenland's weather is heavily influenced by the North Atlantic Oscillation, which during the 1980s and '90s was in its positive phase (which keeps low pressure systems screaming across the Atlantic in a west/east fashion pushing the cold air of the arctic ESE towards Greenland/NE Canada rather than south or SE into the U.S).

This phase turned negative in fall 2002 and has been much more negative since, allowing cold air to surge southward, thus keeping it AWAY from Greenland.

I've seen all of the graphs in that link before.

Both sides need to stop buttering up their results towards stronger extremes and we need to accept the facts: The planet is getting warmer. Most of this warming trend is being caused by an unprecedented increase in greenhouse gases emitted by human activities, and that we dont know exactly how much the planet will warm.. but that it will probably be enough to have some very serious and lasting consequences.

Archived