New Office Highrise Coming

97preludesh

^Sure we can! What would you describe Tallahassee's color scheme. I see it as this earthy color. Something between brown and a dark red.

I'd describe our color scheme by using exclusions rather than naming a few select colors. I think any color would work well for us except strong Oranges, Pinks, Purples, Blues, and Greens. I see us as pastel friendly, so a softer shade of those colors may be able to mix in, in certain areas... namely along the Gaines Corridor.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It currently seems we've got quite w herdle ahead of us if we want this building to have the type of presence the High Point Center has.

According to a Downtown Zoning map that was modified in January of 2003, the subject property has a limitation of 110 Feet of height, or roughtly 10-11 Stories. To put it in perspective, it would be nearly the same height at the monroe park tower, which is the Handcock Bank/Sprint building next to the Tennyson. This zoning was done in care of the historic district, however, I do think it is possible for these developers to get a variance for greater height given they stick to their intent to make this a mixed use project, and incorporate some residential. Residential is the key to getting the higher zoning.

height_map.jpg

Then of course we can petition this new city commission to vote on the height restrictions once more! John Marks says he wants to be a "downtown mayor", I'd make him live UP to it... literally.

whats a spire?!

A spire is a skyscraper that is usually very tall (think 600ft+) that ends in a spire and typically this spire is preceded by some sort of pyramid that is built on top of the actual building.

Famous Spires:

Empire State Building

Chrysler Building

Here is an exapmle of one. I took this on my recent trip to Atlanta to go up the Westin Peachtree (More pics can be found in "IC goes up the Westin Peachtree" and the last couple of pages of "Atlanta photo of the day" in the Atlanta forum:

Bank of America Plaza, Atlanta:

1023 ft in height

Built in 1993

42836375_1ab0f366bc_o.jpg

I feel we have an opportunity to help shape the development of this project with our ideas if we act soon enough. I can gather information about the developers, such as their addresses or something, print out our ideas here, and sent it to them. I just wish I had some CAD software to place buildings into our skyline, because I think this spot is prime from the Apalachee Parkway viewpoint.

It would be cool if we the people could shape how we want our highrises to be. I really want this to be marble or brick with big fancy windows. I would like to see multiple shopping places in this one. Perhaps 5 stores in this mixed use. I would like to see 2 restaurants 1 fancy restaurant and the other a nice casual place for the family. Of course there would have to be office space perhaps 10 stories worth, and condos 7 stories with penthouses at the top. the restaurants and the stores would make up the 1st 3 stories. All together this will be 20 stories. What are some of yall ideas for this new office/residental highrise?

Well I'd say 1 ground floor restaurant is fine. I'd like to spread it around a little so it doesn't seem all of our aminities are in one place. I think your idea about ground level restaurant is cool, I'm not sure what type of retail I'd like to see in this one, possibly a sporting goods store that sells exercise gear and such, maybe a massage parlor, or a spa for the ladies.

Like you, I'd like 20 floors total, and would be satisified if residential was limited to the top 5 floors.

Well I'd say 1 ground floor restaurant is fine. I'd like to spread it around a little so it doesn't seem all of our aminities are in one place. I think your idea about ground level restaurant is cool, I'm not sure what type of retail I'd like to see in this one, possibly a sporting goods store that sells exercise gear and such, maybe a massage parlor, or a spa for the ladies.

Like you, I'd like 20 floors total, and would be satisified if residential was limited to the top 5 floors.

Taurean, become a developer where your ideas can be put into reality..... and then develop Tallahassee.. :)

"A spa for the ladies" - that sounds nice. And what about a good music/electronics store . . . something like what Sound Advice was trying to become - but without the installation bay? Someone here needs to be a relator, architect, and businessman all in one. Or three of you can just get together and get this going.

Taurean, become a developer where your ideas can be put into reality..... and then develop Tallahassee.. :)

How did you know I'm in school to become a developer. I can see my future building Tallahassee. I want her to be the best city in the world. :blush:

"A spa for the ladies" - that sounds nice. And what about a good music/electronics store . . . something like what Sound Advice was trying to become - but without the installation bay? Someone here needs to be a relator, architect, and businessman all in one. Or three of you can just get together and get this going.

Or Businesswoman... hint hint!

Here's a rendering of The Monroe @ Jefferson Mixed Use Building, that the Seminole Tribe of Florida had plans to turn into a hotel. I'm not sure whatever came of their plans or what will become of the rendering above. It seems decent to say the least.

pandc-building.jpg

What exactly is the story on this rendering? Of all the proposed projects/styles I've seen for Tallahassee, this is certainly one of the superior ones.

This building dates back to the days when the Seminole Tribe of Florida had plans to put a hotel up on this site. Things are unclear as to wether or not they will move forward with those plans. The tribe had a change in leadership which may have prompted some reprioritizing.

I think the second publix, the one in Fort Lauderdale, would look great on any block... it has a universal urban design.

A grocery store is nearly as important as electricty and water. Any downtown that wants to promote urban residential development has to long for that kind of commercial support. I have not seen the FtL Publix, but Ican say that the downtown WPB Publix is sweet. IMO Tallahassee would do well to have such a quality development.

How does a downtown grocery store work? If the idea is for it to be within walking distance of residences, then how does one transport one's groceries from the store to the residence? Or is the idea that you would drive? Or that you would make many trips for fewer items at a time? If the idea is for shoppers to arrive by car, then a downtown grocery stores makes less sense. Y'all seem to have a good idea about how this would work, so please enlighten my confused brain. :)

Archived