New Office Highrise Coming

97preludesh

Many downtown supermarkets have parking either above or below the store. Belts are used to move your grocery cart up to your car for store with above store parking in Miami. It would work like any other grocery store I would imagine, with the exception of the parking.

However, when I think of a downtown supermarket, I don't really picture a person going in to buy a cart load of groceries. Because it would be so conveniently located to the homes of many people, a daily trip is what I would imagine, where the customers take home a double bagged brown sack of groceries, two max.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ The day trip scenario makes sense. I suppose it would depend on who they would get the majority of their business from. If most people are driving to the store, it may not make sense to put a Publix in downtown with the upcoming one on Blairstone being so close.

even with the construction of the Publix on Blairstone, the one at Lake Ella is probably closest to downtown. But I agree with you that it wouldn't make much since to build if people will continue to drive. I'm hoping to see more bikes, and busses. I'm growing disgusted with personal automobiles.

personal vehicles ARE going to evolve, just like most social tools that aid in the success of economic systems. hybrids and solar powered cars, though not today, will be perfectly tuned replacements. I do not doubt it. I do though, forsee a transitional period of infill and Asia style bike and motorcycle traffic jams. And people really do enjoy being a part of excitement, so cities will stay cities, and burbs will stay burbs, but the air will become blue-er. Oil is like a drug, you love what it does for you, untill u are required to have it for everything you do, and the implications of its damage can be seen for generations, and u in up spending all of ur hobby money on it. Oil out, brains in. My Generation is gonna fix this sh#* our ancestors left us with.

It's too soon to say. A new propsal usually takes months to finalize. This project hasn't even come before planning commission on Pre-App so we'll just have to wait it out a while.

It's my belief that the new owners of the property will hold on to it for a while until they can decide what they want to do.

I've been to the Downtown Grocery store in West Palm Beach at City Place and it is quite nice. It seems to be geared to the local condo residents and local downtown workers. They have a cafe and quick grab lunches for the workers and some speciality products for the locals.

I think Tallahassee needs a downtown publix. The local publix's they have so far are very limited in the ethnic foods (though they are better than winn dixie and albertsons and the like). But then maybe I'm just spoiled from living in South Florida (a whole ailse devoted to Spanish foods!) Most Publix's fit in with the local theme, so no worries about stick out like sore thumb. I don't know where they put it though...

I've advocated for the corner of Tennessee and Monroe, although the "State Side" of downtown, closer to Gaines, might not be a bad idea either.

That is a really nasty looking intersection to begin with; it needs to be updated badly. Putting a publix there would also be good for the bus riders since the Tal Tran terminal is within walking distance. That would be there would be a Publix accessible from every route. The only problem with that intersection is that it is a very busy one. It's is almost impossible to get in and out of that BP there and walking across it is very dangerous.

I haven't explored the gaines area on foot yet (only by car), so I don't know much about that area yet.

• 1 month later...

One thing about us... when there are updates... we'll post them. As far as the plans for this go... only guesses at this point... I wouldn't hold my breath on the 37 stories, we'd be lucky to get 20. Supermarket may not be here... I'm thinking possibly a ground floor book store, coffee shop, small market, or something. My guess for height would be in range from 18-22 Stories.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived