New Office Highrise Coming

97preludesh

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
One thing about us... when there are updates... we'll post them. As far as the plans for this go... only guesses at this point... I wouldn't hold my breath on the 37 stories, we'd be lucky to get 20. Supermarket may not be here... I'm thinking possibly a ground floor book store, coffee shop, small market, or something. My guess for height would be in range from 18-22 Stories.

Wow what a let down for sure and what a waste of valuable property. :angry:

This is the property on the east side of Monroe where Black Cat, Target Copy and Hair on Earth use to be correct?

Ground floor for possible retail is good, but the rest...what a shame.

T-man, I totally agree w/your prediction.

I am sad to say I am the bearer of bad rumors.

My most recent update is that this project will now sit between FHBA and AFLCIO, will not include any parking, and will.... are you sitting down? ...be in the 3-5 story range. I have never wanted more to be wrong about something. I hear a $25M development, with teardown beginning in January. The building will utilize a pedestrian bridge across College for access to the parking deck behind Amsouth. I am fairly certain it will contain ground floor retail.

And I predict, that if it is built, it will be torn down again in January 2013 to make way for a more substantial project.

• 2 weeks later...

Still isn't a guarantee that this project will come to fruition because the developers need to determine if a CRA contribution of $495,000 is enough to sustain the type of project proposed for this site.

Apparently a tenant has already expressed interest in occupying the office space so if approved, the project will move along fairly quickly. But a 3 to 5 story building is pretty tight spacing for retail, housing, office space and additional parking. Hopefully the additional parking is in the form of a garage and not a parking lot. :blink:

It would have to be a garage. And like you I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how they plan to squeeze so much into such a small space. I'm glad the city also voted to require to 10% retail/store frontage space on the ground floor. If this project is lost because of that, we don't need it.

And the design would have to be breath taking.

It would have to be a garage. And like you I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how they plan to squeeze so much into such a small space. I'm glad the city also voted to require to 10% retail/store frontage space on the ground floor. If this project is lost because of that, we don't need it.

The parking would be provided through the garage just North of College Ave, behind AmSouth. They apparently have made some arrangements to use this existing garage for their tenants, and will be providing an elevated pedestrian bridge to access their new building.

I'm a little confused now T-man. Do you mean they will be using the parking garage across from the downtown Po'Boys on the south side of College? Where would this ped. bridge be exactly? Between Po'Boys and Monroe? Would this ped. bridge connect into the AmSouth Bldg. or into the parking garage?

Archived