Peoria pictures

ZachariahDaMan

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

From the pictures I have seen Peoria seems to have a nice urban core. Thanks for sharing the pics.

From living in Peoria for 5 years, I can tell you that downtown Peoria is like having a mini-Chicago, though the tallest building is only 30 stories high :rolleyes:

Peoria also has great services for its size (civic center, brand-new baseball field, fabulous park district, etc...) - that's why our taxes were so high :shok:

• 1 month later...

I had the misfortune of living in Peoria for two years while I attended Bradley University. The town was so depressing and full of hicks that I simply could not stand it anymore and transfered to a more urban university.

I hate Peoria, and I don't think it has one single redeeming quality. No joke.

Sorry, I know that's offensive to some people, but it's honestly what I think.

• 2 months later...

This is a great collection. I love Peoria's downtown. My wife is from there and we visit her family there every year during the holidays. I love how, when you come into Peoria from the east, you top that huge hill and then you can see the city below. That is the most amazing view. And I love the Christmas park display in East Peoria where you drive your car through all the lit Christmas displays. I also think the twin towers (Caterpillar?) are cool-looking.

• 2 months later...

I was just in Peoria last Spring Break when I went to Chicago (don't ask). It's got a nice little riverfront park with a walkway and it looks nice enough, but at night when I was there downtown seemed a little creepy and deserted to me. I didn't get to venture into it during the day, though...hopefully it's a little less creeptastic during the day.

I gotta agree about rounding the hill and seeing Peoria though, that was pretty awesome.

That new stadium (O'Brien Field is the one you're talking about, right?) is sponsored by (brace yourselves) my girlfriend's big sister's boyriend's father.

I was just in Peoria last Spring Break when I went to Chicago (don't ask). It's got a nice little riverfront park with a walkway and it looks nice enough, but at night when I was there downtown seemed a little creepy and deserted to me. I didn't get to venture into it during the day, though...hopefully it's a little less creeptastic during the day.

I gotta agree about rounding the hill and seeing Peoria though, that was pretty awesome.

That new stadium (O'Brien Field is the one you're talking about, right?) is sponsored by (brace yourselves) my girlfriend's big sister's boyriend's father.

I noticed that, too, about how deserted it seemed on the riverfront at night. That was until we got to Joe's Crab Shack... everyone was inside eating! :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I've spent some more time in Peoria and like it more and more. O'Brien Field is a really nice place to catch a Chiefs ballgame, and attendance was impressive. Downtown during the day is still a little deserted, but has a nice feel to it nonetheless. They had a very good fireworks show for Independance Day, coordinated and funded jointly between the cities of Peoria and East Peoria and staged on some barges on the Illinois River. The river itself is a popular spot for boating, although it took a little courage to get into that water - Illinois is an industrial state after all...but it was a great temperature at least, and I haven't grown a third arm yet. It's been voted an All-American city a few times, and I can see why: it still exudes that great American charm we all miss, where people go to ballgames, see movies together, have picnics, hit a restaurant every now and then, and take a boat ride on the river. Downsides? They have some definite ghettos, and their huge reliance on Caterpillar puts the city at some risk if the company goes bad, as it didn't seem to me they had a whole lot they could fall back on. Plus their roads are not all they could be (though I74 and 474 are in good shape). Plus their speed limits are...shall we say...reeking of a speed trap/revenue generator (which seems to be the case in most of the state...)

Oh, and they do indeed have I-74 running right next to downtown, though most of the CBD is just to the immediate South of the route, with little of interest to the North of it in terms of the CBD. Most of what's North is the river valley with some old, mostly run-down brick light industrial buildings in the immediate vicinity, and high-priced houses close to the Illinois River bank and a couple of other Caterpillar buildings another mile or two down.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived