Atlanta Symphomy Hall

atlmangum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And right on cue, heres a little update on the Symphony hall

From the AJC

"A new study by the ASO indicates that the Symphony Center, projected to open in 2011, would generate $2 billion in economic growth through 2020. The ASO has been quietly lobbying local governments to contribute about $100 million toward construction, to supplement $100 million already in hand from private sources. According to this study's timetable, the ASO could use the cash fairly soon: In order for the center to open in 2011, construction, which would take 40 months, needs to begin in 2007. "

http://www.ajc.com/news/Symphony

I love the fact that it may be opened in as early as 2011.

I am suprised that they have not done anything to get this new Hall on the minds of the average metro Atlantan. Perhaps Ironchapman and I can email our little fundraising idea to them. The community needs to get behind the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. They are one of the few American orchestras who have recieved standing ovations in European venues. Of course this was under the great direction of Yoel Levi. I miss him.

This Hall would be an architectural treasure to Midtown, Atlanta, and Georgia.

$100 million down and $200 million to go. :thumbsup:

image_1839690.jpg

Yes it is Calatrava, if the building is unique to Atlanta - it isn't too unique to his other designs, I suppose the 'sail' is his version of Wright's 'central hearthplace'.

But the timeline might be 2011 - but they are still a long way until they have the finances. Another $100 million needs to be raised for the proposed 2007 construction beginning date. They will really depend on someone with very deep pockets, already most of the major civic backers have donated, so if fed or state government doesn't assist (which is highly likely) there will be delays.

But hey! We're getting a fish tank & a new cola museum - who needs a stupid symphony hall! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, according to the article mentioned at the bottom of this post, the symphony center is going to play an important role in bringing a potential $2 billion to Georgia's economy over the next ten years. At least this is what a recent report issued by the ASO said. The complex itself is supposed to be completed in 2008, according to the article.

The article's a couple days old, though.

Atlanta Symphony Center to have significant economic impact

• 1 month later...

Here's an article about the ongoing funding for the New Symphony Hall.

Way to go Charlotte based Wachovia for your dedication to the arts.

read article here:

Symphony gift lifts hall effort.

From the article:

Wachovia's contribution means the ASO has collected $103 million in its drive to build the futuristic-looking, 2,000-seat Symphony Center, an architectural icon designed by acclaimed Spanish designer Santiago Calatrava that the ASO bills as a "postcard for Georgia."

But the architectural flourishes --- the most dramatic being an 18-story arch over the hall at 14th and Peachtree streets --- are not what caught Wachovia's eye.

The foundation of the Charlotte-based financial giant is dedicating its gift to the center's state-of-the-art learning facility, which will enable the symphony to link electronically with schools around the state and also affords sizable space for youth instruction and rehearsal.

"The symphony is a tremendous organization for music education, from kindergarten and first grade all the way up to the university level," said Thomas H. Coley, president of Wachovia's Southern Banking Group. The 11,000-square-foot learning center, he said, "is going to provide world-class instructional facilities for all the students across the state of Georgia. That's what really attacted us to this project."

• 1 month later...

A bit of Bad news, but there is hope!

No Symphony Funds in Perdue's Budget

The fiscal 2007 budget does not have the $50 million that the ASO wanted from the state, but there is at least hope that the state might sponsor it.

The problem, according to Perdue spokeswoman Heather Hedrick, is that before Georgia can contribute the $50 million -- in the form of bond funding -- state law requires symphony backers to come up with the rest of the money.

As of now, according to the article, the ASO has raised $108 million of the $300 million that will be needed to build the new hall. It can place another bid next year.

Let's hope they are able to raise the rest of that money! :)

I am still hopeful on this. There was no chance of getting the funding this year anyway. It is an election year and Perdue is pandering. He had to give the teachers something, they've gotten very little from him over the last few years and they wanted something for putting him in office.

I am still hopeful on this. There was no chance of getting the funding this year anyway. It is an election year and Perdue is pandering. He had to give the teachers something, they've gotten very little from him over the last few years and they wanted something for putting him in office.

I thought it was the flag that lost the race for Barnes.

But I do understand about the teachers and schools issues (My dad was a high school English teacher for 30 years and my mom is a speech therapist for Cobb County, and of course, I get exposed to it everyday almost because I am a high school student). The teachers get paid way too little. My dad has sold garage doors for the last five years and makes more than he ever did in his 30 years as a teacher! :o

I could easily see it becoming one of the big issues this time around.

As for the hall, on a bit of good news, the ASO received $5 million from two of Atlanta's more presitigous law firms.

I thought it was the flag that lost the race for Barnes.

That was a small part of it, but the main reason that Barnes lost was that he had proposed to do away with Tenure for teachers. The Georgia teachers union therefore refused to endorse him. The problem is, they haven't gotten anything in the first three years of the Peudue administration due to tight budgets. He had to throw them a bone.

As for the hall, on a bit of good news, the ASO received $5 million from two of Atlanta's more presitigous law firms.

I agree that the Law Firms' donations are good, we just need to get a few more big donations to get the ball rolling. I also think that the ASO should promote the educational aspect of the hall more with the public officials. (This is the small facility on the side that is a practice facility. It will be also used to work with small local groups and schools to promote music programs throughout the state.)

The new hall was designed from the inside out. The inside was designed to sound great. The old hall is a poor quality facility for a world class orchestra. We needed something worthy for a real audience.

Newnan Eric - While I agree with you re: Barnes losing due to the teachers issues, I personally think the other big thing was the Outer Perimeter. Those folks up on the Northside were practically seething over that. I think that was way larger than the oft-stated "flaggers".

BTW, I thought Barnes was great, and miss him to this day. I must admit, I'm pretty hot on Cathy Cox at this moment in time.

Wonder if there's any friction between the architects involved with the Arts Center? Here's an interesting

comment:

The architect Renzo Piano once told his longtime technical collaborator, the engineer Peter Rice, of his interest in the young Calatrava's work. Piano recalled to me Rice's cautionary response: "Something is not right there. When you design a bridge, you go from here to here," which the engineer illustrated with a quick horizontal swipe of his finger. Then, Rice added, "You do not go from here to here," arching his right hand over his head and touching his left ear.

(Conversation with Renzo Piano, New York, September 22, 2005.)

Archived