Atlanta Symphomy Hall

atlmangum

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't the funds set aside for the Hall of Fame be redirected toward the Symphony Hall? I know the ASO was looking for 50 million from both the city and the state, and considering the total incentive package for NASCAR was well over 100 million, isn't it feasible that they could merely offer it to the Symphony? A portion of the funding was from an existing program to encourage tourism in the city, etc.

Of course there are logistics such as the approval for the funds toward NASCAR versus the ASO and the specific type of incentives offered, but I'm sure most would agree that if the city/state body was planning on giving it anyway...

Maybe now that Charlotte has been awarded the NASCAR hall of fame that will happen. Who knows? But the symphony hall really needs to happen. We need some good news to lift our spirits again. I feel like the spoiled child who is not used to being told 'NO'. Bell South, GA Pacific and now NAS... too many no's in a row for me.

This is a very interesting article by Maria Saporta. I can not agree with her more on her stance. Now is the time to concentrate on the symphony hall. I played a stringed instrument from age 6 till two months before I went to college. Classical music is near and dear to me. While I'm not as big as Arthur Blank, my committment to the symphony orchestra and a befitting home for the ASO is just as strong. For those who have played in the orchestra or band of their high schools, we all can remember either being a member of or trying out for the Atlanta Youth Symphony Orchestra.

I can personally attest the to fact that the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra is know around the world. Especially under the direction of Robert Shaw and Yoel Levi. I studied a semester in Erlangen, Germany (the sister school to the Terry College of Business) and in Europe the ASO has done what so few symphony orchestras have done...they got a standing ovation. We need to cultivate our burgeoning clout in the arts. If I had $2 billion, I would gladly build the city of Atlanta and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra a hall is can be proud of. I hope our statewide politicians can see the same value in the newe symphony hall that they saw in the NASCAR HOF.

From the article:

The NASCAR bid should put an end to that question. If we can come up with $102 million in financing for a NASCAR hall of fame

Although I am a Nascar fan and would have liked to have seen the Nascar Hall of Fame come to Atlanta, it doesn't bother me that we didn't get it.

The Atlanta Symphony Hall, however, is so spectacular-looking that I would hate for this to not get built. Here's to hoping.

You know the article in paper brought to mind some other options for the symphony hall. Though I like the Caltrava design, it bothers me a little that is so similar to his other designs especially one in another city here in the US. I wouldn't mind seeing a Renzo Piano version just for comparison. I think he would design something a bit more specific to the location and the surrounding architecture. but just as spectacular.

You know the article in paper brought to mind some other options for the symphony hall. Though I like the Caltrava design, it bothers me a little that is so similar to his other designs especially one in another city here in the US. I wouldn't mind seeing a Renzo Piano version just for comparison. I think he would design something a bit more specific to the location and the surrounding architecture. but just as spectacular.

I'm not crazy about the idea of putting it in the middle of a bunch of tall buildings. How about up on a hillside somewhere?

Archived