PROPOSED: Journal Hotel

Out of curiosity, aside from mediating, does the city have any tools aside from offering tax breaks to stimulate use of buildings for economic development?  I presume, obviously, that an owner has the right to let them sit there and do nothing, but what leverage does the city have?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is always the evil eminent domain, but there is no way in hell the city will go that route for these buildings (way, way too high a financial liability).

Really, I think historic tax credits are a HUGE incentive. He would be a fool not to use them soon before the legislature gets even MORE stupid (hard to imagine at this point) and places even more arbitrary and punitive changes to it, which is by far the most innovative and effective tool available.

I'll throw support behind any plans for these buildings, as long as they have a mixed-income element...

someone down there has got to step up....who's it gonna be?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

before the legislature gets even MORE stupid (hard to imagine at this point)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The legislature? Stupid? Surely you're not speaking about the Rhode Island General Assembly! ^_^

someone down there has got to step up....who's it gonna be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I hit the Powerball, I'm all over this.

Hey guys,

not sure if every one has seen this, but the hard copy of this weeks PBN has a teaser for next weeks issue. They are doing some sort of story/article about the Downcity shopping that is to be all along westminister. The one building they did have a picture of was the old projo building.

When I looked into them, Pierre's mailing adress for his properties was a non-descript door on Newbury St in Boston. I had a friend who worked a couple blocks down check it out and he said it was locked, in the middle of the day.

He had a property manager who kept an office in the building adjacent to the Projo building, on Westminster. Also, there was a tenant called Providence Pictures on second. They do documentarites for Discover and the like. Go visit and steal a tour.

The building next to Tilden Thurber is the tallest in the neighborhood, and has great views.

• 1 month later...

wow!!

Whats weird is that he has just started posting for rent signs in the windows of that building. I expected nothing but low level renters for a long time.  What great news. Perfect use for the building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll say! Wow... How did you find this? It's nice it'll be a mix of hotel, residential, and retail. Gorgeous photo too, BTW.

- Garris

I assume this would mean Brothers (sp?) City Cuts, the under-age bar will all get the boot soon? That alone is exciting. Side note and maybe this is old news but I was told the safari lounge is getting expelled aswell.

Great strides for improving the downtown.

I'm starting to get concerned about the number of hotel proposals, we could be nearing a glut.

Expect the Biltmore to announce a condo conversion soon??? I doubt it, but maybe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, could be the case. I'd rather it was more residential, less hotel. I've always seen Westminster more as a place to live than a place to visit or stay...

- Garris

I'm very mixed about Safari. On one hand, it allows us to use our building (Burgess Heirs) for residential use, which we could not with the Safari next door. I think there's certainly a place for such a use downtown, but it isn't all that compatible with what's been going on lately. I really hope they can find a new home...I'd hate to lose an institution like that, no matter how they are perceived.

I have been to Safari twice as part of exploring downtown and understanding what is around where I live. I have no problems with places like Safari other than the noise, smell and outside look. With that said living on wesminster; less places that dump the drunks and loud onto the westminster streets at 2:00 the better.

I am excited about this hotel project. I just love that building and want something within that reflects its great elegance.

Great use for that particular building....

ooooh, I hate the Safari Lounge closing though. This is another indication of problems downtown...

Its a slippery slope...

I'm really bummed about the Safari. Downtown needs yuppies, but it needs dive bars too. One by one all the decent live music venues are closing in favor of condos or dance clubs that make more money. Not good.

I'm really bummed about the Safari. Downtown needs yuppies, but it needs dive bars too. One by one all the decent live music venues are closing in favor of condos or dance clubs that make more money. Not good.

Yep. I guess its inevitable for some places to close down in the natural life cycle of things, but this is really starting to be a systemic problem that lots of people feared in downtown.

Seeing as how I am moving to providence in a week, i was bummed to read that article about the Safari Lounge. It seemed like a place I would have liked to go to.

Live music venues off all genres should be preserved. Its a key part of attracting the demographics Providence wants.

So says the late twenty something moving to providence in a week....

Seeing as how I am moving to providence in a week, i was bummed to read that article about the Safari Lounge. It seemed like a place I would have liked to go to.

Live music venues off all genres should be preserved. Its a key part of attracting the demographics Providence wants.

Hey basachs, welcome to PVD.

You are coming to an improving city, but one which needs to take a serious look at its priorities and try to hold on to what its got - it is quickly becoming exclusive and certainly losing much of what made it an attractive and interesting place.

Its getting pretty hard to see good music around here anymore, and that is a ridiculous shame.

I assume this would mean Brothers (sp?) City Cuts, the under-age bar will all get the boot soon? That alone is exciting. Side note and maybe this is old news but I was told the safari lounge is getting expelled aswell.

Great strides for improving the downtown.

Paolino was suppose to close the Safari years ago, but public outcry saved it for the time being.

basachs, this is a pretty good live music listing: www.lotsofnoise.com.

Archived