PROPOSED: Journal Hotel

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey basachs, welcome to PVD.

You are coming to an improving city, but one which needs to take a serious look at its priorities and try to hold on to what its got - it is quickly becoming exclusive and certainly losing much of what made it an attractive and interesting place.

Its getting pretty hard to see good music around here anymore, and that is a ridiculous shame.

I agree 100%.I don't know why we don't create an entertainment district! That was the whole purpose! ( Arts & Entertainment District????) I think Dyer St. by the river with the added 195 land .....We could pull a parallel district with Water St. where the Fish Co. is..There are many people on this forum that say that the market is driving the residential boon. I agree except the fact that political influences dominate the spectrum.You can say what you want , but the notion is to try to make this area a "neighborhood." ......and when that happens it is so much easier to get rid of "seedy" places. I really think that in amatter of time there will be a lot of bars and clubs closing down.What a shame!!!Providence can survive with a good mix and we're losing that image of being a fun place.....R.I.P Safari!

Someone told me the projo ( i think ) had a write up about the safari closing. I'll try and find it. From what I was told they wanted to move on union st near Marks deli before club Energy took the spot. However the city would not grant them a license for severing food only a transfer of the liquor license .

is this Safari place still looking for other options?? or is it closing for sure?

It's all done and you may have guessed correctly. The city has not recognized or reached out to them to consider other options within Downcity. It's not the element that they would like to attract. :(

Well, I don't think my opinion will surprise anyone. I think such things are usually good. Such transitions happen in areas in transition, and it sounds like there were financial considerations (unpaid rent?) as much as them being "driven out"... "Dives" tend to flourish in areas that are downtrodden and decaying. It's how they financially are able to survive. Decaying and downtrodden is increasingly not describing downtown.

Everywhere I've ever lived where regions have improved have had their "dives" displaced or closed. Everyone years later reminisces about what was, but few say they'd trade it for the economic, safety, and aesthetic benefits of revival.

One difference, though, is that in those other places I've lived, there have been other areas or districts (ex., Minneapolis' Warehouse District) where night life is not only just allowed to happen, but encouraged and planned to happen. It's good for the city and its desirability, its good for the police (who have a more discrete area to patrol), and its good for the rest of a downtown which can increase its residential and commercial desirability.

Where is Providence's recognized "nightlife" district going to be? The city needs to get moving on this fast!

- Garris

Everywhere I've ever lived where regions have improved have had their "dives" displaced or closed. Everyone years later reminisces about what was, but few say they'd trade it for the economic, safety, and aesthetic benefits of revival.

Allston "Rock City" circa 1993 leaps to mind. In that case, many of the dives transformed into more upscale places, places like Kinvara transformed themselves. Other closed. Yet, there is a strong student presense in Allston, so places like the Model and the Silhouette have held on (at least last I checked).

The thing about Allston is that the student presense still overwhelms the upscale presense as far as residential goes. That isn't and won't be the case in Downcity. I see Olneyville and the Valley/Promenade area as the place where we'll likely see the bar scene try to migrate to. It's where their customers are locating.

The thing about Allston is that the student presense still overwhelms the upscale presense as far as residential goes. That isn't and won't be the case in Downcity. I see Olneyville and the Valley/Promenade area as the place where we'll likely see the bar scene try to migrate to. It's where their customers are locating.

I think it's important to note that it's not as if there is significant downtown residential element currently being displaced... Until the recent reclaimations and building, there hasn't really been a downtown residential community... Only the dives...

- Garris

I think it's important to note that it's not as if there is significant downtown residential element currently being displaced... Until the recent reclaimations and building, there hasn't really been a downtown residential community... Only the dives...

- Garris

Yes, quite right. And there is a student presense coming to Downcity along with the high-end, it probably actually overwhelms the private residence component on Westminster right now, though it is in dorms, which is a different animal from the student population in Allston.

Allston "Rock City" circa 1993 leaps to mind. In that case, many of the dives transformed into more upscale places, places like Kinvara transformed themselves. Other closed. Yet, there is a strong student presense in Allston, so places like the Model and the Silhouette have held on (at least last I checked).

- Garris

The Safari was not a dive. It was a place for struggling musicians to get their moment. It was an establishment that catered to people that originally created Providence's upswing as a cultural and artistic destination. If the Downcity area is to become more cosmo, that's great!!! Let's create a district or help displaced artists,musicians, and/or nightspots relocate to supplement the people that live and visit here because it is an exciting place. Olneyville, albeit the great new mill conversions, is still a shady area rampant with crime,drugs, and prostitution. I don't see a massive nightlife scene developing here at all. There are many people in R.I.,let alone MA, that will not even drive thru the area. It more resembles a 3rd world country.With that said, I think that Allens Ave. and the Providence waterfront represent the best area to establish something great. There is easy highway access and generally feels like a much safer area.The majority of the land is underutilized and would support new developments. I llove the Sasaki plan as it seeks to use Providence's least used asset. Many of the companies that are there could be relocated to other areas of the city. Allens Ave. should be the gateway to the city!!!

The Safari was not a dive. It was a place for struggling musicians to get their moment. It was an establishment that catered to people that originally created Providence's upswing as a cultural and artistic destination.

I'm very sad at the loss of the Safari, but let's not try and sugar coat it too much. It was a dive to end all dives. Keep in mind that up until a few years ago when the RISD kids thought it would be hip to start hanging out at the kitchy dive bar downtown, the Safari was strictly for alcoholics and prostitutes. Initially they were none too pleased when the hipsters started invading their space. (Dive Bar gentrification?) I have been to the Safari when the only alcohol the bar had on hand was a single giant plastic bottle of generic Vodka. I have also seen 50 year old prostitutes sitting at the bar showing their cootch to people in an attempt to woo new customers. While I think it was a vital part of downtown, I dont want people who havent been there to think it was some legendary music incubator like Ft Thunder or something.

I'm very sad at the loss of the Safari, but let's not try and sugar coat it too much. It was a dive to end all dives. Keep in mind that up until a few years ago when the RISD kids thought it would be hip to start hanging out at the kitchy dive bar downtown, the Safari was strictly for alcoholics and prostitutes. Initially they were none too pleased when the hipsters started invading their space. (Dive Bar gentrification?) I have been to the Safari when the only alcohol the bar had on hand was a single giant plastic bottle of generic Vodka. I have also seen 50 year old prostitutes sitting at the bar showing their cootch to people in an attempt to woo new customers. While I think it was a vital part of downtown, I dont want people who havent been there to think it was some legendary music incubator like Ft Thunder or something.

The Safari IS A DIVE and has ALWAYS been one. It's been there for years and has always attracted low lifes for years, untill now that young people go there for the music. You can count on two things when you go there. Cheap liqour and flies buzzing around the bar and toilets.

Do you mean the Providence Eagle on Union St?

Yes, they haven't moved to get them out, but they'd be happy to see them leave.

Olneyville, albeit the great new mill conversions, is still a shady area rampant with crime, drugs, and prostitution.

Actually, Westminster Street is still a shady area rampant with crime, drugs, and prostitution. It's not something that Cornish or The Hotel Providence is going to advertise, but Westminster still has a very far way to go.

:rofl:

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived