Smoking ban in Michigan

Blue

Just wondering.. and I know this could be a hot-button issue both ways... are the two bills in the state legislature that would ban smoking in bars and restaurants (one bill) and all workplaces (second bill) still alive, or is there a schedule for when they may come up for a vote? Do you think these bills have a good chance to pass? Are you personally in favor of or against these bills?

Personally, I am certainly in favor of the bills, as someone who is allergic to smoke and unable to be around smoke without being sick for several weeks afterwards. I currently live in California, a smoke-free state, and it's been very successful out here (I actually moved out here a few years ago because of the smoke-free air, but would love to move to a more affordable state, and Michigan is at the top of my list if it wasn't for the health issues regarding smoke). I realize California is different than Michigan in several ways, but smoking bans have done well in New England, New York, and Canada -- similar climates to Michigan.

What do people think? Does this have a chance to pass? Would it work well in Michigan at this point in time?

Thanks, and let's all try to keep this discussion civil -- I know it is a passionate topic for many people and I look forward to all opinions, but let's try to keep it civil and polite -- thanks!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have nothing against smokers as well. But the fact that smoke can have harmful affects to other people around puts me in favor of this bill. It's quite ironic, but as I type this, I'm up in U of M's architecture school, and this huge expansive room reeks of cigarette smoke. Why? Because one person downstairs in the courtyard outside is smoking beneath one of the windows, and it's coming into this building. Technically they are violating university rules which bans smoking in all buildings, and all areas 40 feet from a building. Like I said, I have nothing against smokers, but this rule may do them some good healthwise.

Well, I know I'm biased because I grew up with smokers, and it really excerbated my asthma and had me sick all of the time, but I don't know why this would be an issue, anyway. Smoking cigarettes (unlike other bad habits) has NO beneficial health values, not even a little. It's one of the few legal products, I can think of, that offer no benefit to the user or the people around the user.

I liken the situation to bans of pets in certain places. Dogs aren't allowed into most restaurants (for numerous reasons), so why should cigarettes be allowed there? Many people are allergic to both.

I am completly against a smoking ban. If I own a resturaunt and I want to allow people to smoke I should be able to. If you don't want to be around smoke go to a non-smoking resturaunt or deal with it. As with many other things I favor personal freedoms over EVERYTHING else.

^^ what about my personal freedom NOT to inhale smoke?????

There is that famous quote... something like "your freedom ends where the other guys nose begins"

I'm all for personal freedoms too, like the freedom to breath fresh air. I also like the freedom to not be assaulted when I walk down the street. Should people have freedom to just come up and beat the crap out of me?

^^ what about my personal freedom NOT to inhale smoke?????

There is that famous quote... something like "your freedom ends where the other guys nose begins"

I'm all for personal freedoms too, like the freedom to breath fresh air. I also like the freedom to not be assaulted when I walk down the street. Should people have freedom to just come up and beat the crap out of me?

You are free to go to a non-smoking resturaunt, there are plenty around.

Although I'm in favor of the bill as I said before, I wouldn't get upset if it didn't pass. Really, many restaurants are already becoming non-smoking establishments. And as I mentioned, my university has all their buildings as smoke free, and with the fact that smokers must stand 40 feet from the building, they are pretty much limited to the streets and sidewalks, and the lack of shelter that comes with it. Again, I have no hate to smokers. I have smoked from time to time, although I don't anymore because I can't afford to spend meager budget as a college student on such wasteful habit that does nothing but create long term health problems. I was lucky I didn't become addicted, but for the people who are, the smoking ban can do some good. I mean everyone who smoked in my extended family died from it, didn't even get past 80, and suffered the last years of their life from lung cancer.

Archived