It's official...Rogers is

KJW

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...getting a second high school. If towns/high schools like Alma and Siloam Springs keep growing soon we'll have a AAAAA-West and an AAAAA-Northwest conference.

Yeah I saw that on KNWA. Looked like some nice plans. It makes sense as big as the Rogers High School has gotten. I think it will be a couple of years before it's done but they are going to have to do something with the divisions for sports. Will they keep making minor changes like taking a team or two out of the west or actually redo the divisions? By the way good to see you around KJW, haven't seen you for a while.

Rogers needs it as much as Springdale does. Neither should go crazy for a 3rd high school yet. Plano has 210k people and it only has 3 high schools. They also have one of the best school districts in Texas, better than any in Arkansas.

Hmmm, maybe they're better organized there than here in Arkansas. This might all go back to this current culture up here with not wanting things to seem quite so urban and big.

Hmmm, maybe they're better organized there than here in Arkansas. This might all go back to this current culture up here with not wanting things to seem quite so urban and big.

I thought it was the opposite, 3 high schools in a town of 60k makes it seem you just want to be a big enough city to have 3 high schools. Ft Smith's two HSs have always seemed about right for its size. I would wait until you get to 100k to start a 3rd. NLR, a city of 60k, went from two senior HSs back to one again.

Little Rock fell into this trap back in the 60s and 70s and now you have a lot of smaller schools like Hall, McClellan, Fair, Mills, and Parkview that at one point were large schools that are no longer going to be in the state's largest classification. Retrospectively, that was a mistake.

Plano has 210k people and it only has 3 high schools. They also have one of the best school districts in Texas, better than any in Arkansas.

Those schools must have enormous enrollment. Outside of Memphis, the pop. of Shelby County TN is 250,000, and that district has 7 high schools, all of which are bursting at the seams.

The general thought of the month in education is that kids do better in smaller schools.

Those schools must have enormous enrollment. Outside of Memphis, the pop. of Shelby County TN is 250,000, and that district has 7 high schools, all of which are bursting at the seams.

The general thought of the month in education is that kids do better in smaller schools.

I agree, although it's certainly not impossble to have very good schools that have the enrollment that the Plano schools have. But I do think most people believe in smaller schools being better in general.

I agree, although it's certainly not impossble to have very good schools that have the enrollment that the Plano schools have. But I do think most people believe in smaller schools being better in general.

Guys, with the new freshman addition, and the southwest side classrooms that have been built, Bentonville High School looks like a community college.

However, a guy who works for my wife's store part-time says that its was still so crowded there that the first week of school there were kids sitting on the floor and standing in the aisles of some of his classes (and this was pre-Katrina, though B'ville got hardly any refugees). He said some of the classes had 30-40 kids in them.

We need a new high school here last week. (And again, with the streets and subdivisions they're cutting out between Bentonville and Centerton it appears they're adding a lot more folks in the district in the near future.)

Really? I'd say the best public schools in Arkansas are all among the ten largest save Hot Springs Lakeside.

FS Southside and LR Central are great schools and the current NWA schools are all solid despite being some of the state's largest. Bigger schools have more potential to have AP and gifted programs as well as specialized courses such as Japanese, etc.

That said, you can't have them be crowded - you just have to expand them aggressively to keep up with demand. In really high-demand areas you have to do things this way as land is too expensive to start a new campus.

Really? I'd say the best public schools in Arkansas are all among the ten largest save Hot Springs Lakeside.

FS Southside and LR Central are great schools and the current NWA schools are all solid despite being some of the state's largest. Bigger schools have more potential to have AP and gifted programs as well as specialized courses such as Japanese, etc.

That said, you can't have them be crowded - you just have to expand them aggressively to keep up with demand. In really high-demand areas you have to do things this way as land is too expensive to start a new campus.

I think it might be better for the 10% of students who take those courses.

I think the "average" kid is more likely to get lost and overlooked in a huge school.

Both Sleepy and Aporkalypse make good points. Obviously there are postivies and negatives for both depending who you are looking at. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but I wonder if some of these schools are being 'squeezed' by all the development going on and don't have any place to expand out to. Guess you could always try to build up, but I'm not sure if this area is wanting that type of growth.

Bigger schools = more AP and advanced courses. More courses in general.

my comment probably has nothing to do what was already said.....just checking in :-)

I was wondering if you were going to make any comments. I see you on sometimes but haven't seen you post for a while. Guess school is keeping you busy. :D

Archived