Fun Parks in Spartanburg

Sparkledude85

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the scoop:

Mountasia is still around, but the place has been sold several times. Mountasia later became Fun-tasia. Funwerks bought them out around 2002 or 2003 (along with International Pavilion/Fun-Bee's). Funwerks went into bankruptcy in late 2003 or early 2004. Mountasia is now Blessed Fun at Funtasia, a Christian fun park owned by Clyde and Melody McFadden of Greenville, SC. International Pavilion is now 295 Fun Park. Of the two I could see Blessed Fun sticking around, but 295 Fun Park needs to go. Actually, Putt-Putt on Reidville Road is still very successful. However I would like to see something bigger come to Spartanburg like a Frankie's, etc. I think we could support it.

As for Mountasia being near Heron Circle, the Heron Circle area I believe would have exploded by now had the old I-85 been renamed 685 back in 2000. I think that the Bus. 85 name has killed much business in the Asheville Hwy/Heron Circle area. We would probably be seeing expansions and Mountasia would still probably be under their first owners. We would see Wal-Mart and other big boxes in the area, plus more restaurants. Well this is just my humble opinion. Honestly I would love to see a variety of miniature golfing places in Spartanburg.

Here's the scoop:

Mountasia is still around, but the place has been sold several times. Mountasia later became Fun-tasia. Funwerks bought them out around 2002 or 2003 (along with International Pavilion/Fun-Bee's). Funwerks went into bankruptcy in late 2003 or early 2004. Mountasia is now Blessed Fun at Funtasia, a Christian fun park owned by Clyde and Melody McFadden of Greenville, SC. International Pavilion is now 295 Fun Park. Of the two I could see Blessed Fun sticking around, but 295 Fun Park needs to go. Actually, Putt-Putt on Reidville Road is still very successful. However I would like to see something bigger come to Spartanburg like a Frankie's, etc. I think we could support it.

As for Mountasia being near Heron Circle, the Heron Circle area I believe would have exploded by now had the old I-85 been renamed 685 back in 2000. I think that the Bus. 85 name has killed much business in the Asheville Hwy/Heron Circle area. We would probably be seeing expansions and Mountasia would still probably be under their first owners. We would see Wal-Mart and other big boxes in the area, plus more restaurants. Well this is just my humble opinion. Honestly I would love to see a variety of miniature golfing places in Spartanburg.

Your comment on the I-685 designation for the I-85 business loop in Spartanburg caught my eye. I tried in vain back in 2000 to convince the SCDOT to change the designation to I-685. I got nowhere with the bureaucracy nor could I convince our local officials how vital this issue was. Five years later the Hearon Circle business community is hanging on but blight and abandonment is a constant concern. There willl probably never be any major investment in this area as long as the road is signed with the ambiguous "business loop" designation. Thanks for keeping this issue alive!

There is Cleveland Park :)

train.jpg

I apologize for that flood post. Spartanburg has an advantage with having Milliken, Cleveland, and Barnet Parks, and I would love to see even more of these parks come to the area. What I'm talking about though is the "Fun Park" (Frankie's/Mountasia/Celebration Station/Putt-Putt/etc.) which includes mini-golf, arcade, go-karts, batting cages, boats, laser tag, etc. I would like to see something in Spartanburg on a larger scale...I would love for them to keep Mountasia and Putt-Putt too. However, this may be an unrealistic view.

There is Cleveland Park :)

train.jpg

Cleveland Park is something I would not consider a "fun park." It is still fun to me.

I rode that train many years ago in the early 1990s. The train appears to be in good shape for more relaxing rides in the future. I would welcome the chance to ride it again. (If I had a pair of those striped overalls with a zipper fly and a conductor cap, I'd really ride in style. ;))

Speaking of the Interstate 685 designation, I think it would be great. I would like to see Spartanburg's only 3di improved such as extending it to a high speed interchange with the relocated 85 or even on to 26.

The problem with the old 85 is that its exits are substandard. I rememberd the horrible feeling when it was time to merge onto 85 before the new 85 was built... not fun.

I think you need to differentiate between a fun park (adjective), and "funpark " (noun).

Putt-Putt looks ok. Its obviously past its prime. I remember spending many fun evenings there when I was younger. Now it has lost its appeal. They need to come up with something more along the lines of Mountaisia or the International Pavilion that is fresh and that will draw a crowd. going from two decent funparks to none that are worth a crap is unnecessary. I wouldn't be suprised to see Frankies invest in the area sometime soon.

Archived