Downtown Spartanburg 10-30 years

Sparkledude85

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I don't remember where the topic was about what we would tear down and redevelop so I'll just write it here. I would build a new mixed use tower on top of the shopping center at the corner of Main and Pine. I would build an underground parking deck and build right to the street. I think that this would be a wonderful place for a new tower. It is a main entry way into the city and I think that it would make a great impression to people coming into the city. I think that it would also extend the downtown all the way to converse college and this project would be even better once main st. is remade into a two lane boulevard with wide sidewalks and beautiful trees and landscaping. Anyway, that's one of my dreams.

I like that dream. :)

I want to see that entire intersection improved.

I have a vision of tearing down the old HoJo and putting a nice midrise office building there to match the Wachovia building.

I hate that building on the opposite corner.... I think its some kind of financing operation or something. It has that circular driveway where there really is no business having one.

FedEx just needs to move.

I also want to tear down the Traveler's Inn. I'd like to see the College Motor Inn revitalized, as I see that as a semi historic building.

Oh, and the BellSouth tower needs to be fixed up and the big red and white comm tower needs to go.

Basicly, that whole intersection and everything within a quarter mile of it needs some fixing up. The improvements that have been made so far are astounding though.

that intersection has always looked pretty rundown. It looks a lot better now then it used to though. All of those little hotels around there have always puzzled me. I don't know who stays there because most of them look pretty sketch. I too really hate that building with the circular driveway, I've wanted to tear it down for years. I think every corner at that intersection needs a new building. Maybe a couple of midrises and a couple of highrises. Fedex could be a tenant in the new building at that corner. I was driving home from church today and also thought that it would be great to build a whole new row of buildings down pine street until you reach the intersection with kennedy or east henry.

That would be awsome. That whole strip there seems almost out of place. The problem is that there is a 5 lane thoroughfare there.

I have no idea how to work around that.

One thing would be to landscape the median, with specific turn lanes for the businesses. With everything being so close to the road there it won't be easy.

I'm open to any suggestions. That is a key intersection to improve though. Out of any intersection in the city, that would rank near the top (aesthetically speaking of course).

Archived