Anderson Journal

GSP Tiger

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right, Brad. It is only meant for Anderson readers. That being said, I think you'll find far more important content in the Sunday edition of Anderson Independent Mail. I like to pick a copy up once in a while myself. They have better coverage of Clemson Football than The Greenville News especially. :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I stumbled accress the Anderson Journal in Clemson today, so I am going to try to stop by and grab one each week. Im kinda the lone wolf on this one, but we'll see how it goes:

11/4/2005 TBA

The old Belk department store's downtown site has been thoroughly gutted and the city's next step is to issue a request for qualification to develop it. Look for that in the next few weeks...

City Council Members are nervous about letting homes along established residential streets go commercial. The latest request is for a rexoning on James St...

Business owners downtown are still grumbling about the loss of the Chiquola renovation project and probably will be for weeks to come. It could become an election issue come this spring. Mayor Richard Shirley and council members Bea Thompson, Steve Kirven, Buck Roberts, and Blake Williamson are due to defend their seats...

---

There are other points but they really have nothing to do with developments or anything interesting expet politics...BUT

There are some interesting articles. One on the new Arts Center.

There is a new Carolina First building going up downtown on Main St soon.

I will post more later on some of the interesting things in this issue.

It is only two floors. There is a rendering in the Journal, but I do not have a scanner. They said it looks like their HQ in Greenville if that makes a difference. The building did not laook particularly outstanding to me, but development is development for Anderson's sake. These people want to continue to locate downtown, which should be lauded. It also frees up some space in their old building...

Not much in the way of interesting news this week.

There is a sharp looking add for The Calhoun. There will be an auction on Nov 15.

There is an article on the planned expansion of the Rock River Waste Water Treatment Plant to accomodate the growth in the area.

TBA

Of 53 companies who have inquired about Anderson County in 2004 and 2005, none have decided to locate here, and 17 have chosen other sites according to the Upstate Alliance. He says that Anderson needs to evaluate its facilities to see if they are meeting demand...

A private company called Safe Ports Groupis hoping to create a faster way to get freight to Charleston by using barges, rail lines, and intermodal transports to get it there. Its good for the Upstate because 60% of the goods that go through the Port come from our area...

The Hilton Garden Inn is back on track to finish its conference center...

Anderson County has decided to suspend its blue laws from Nov 27 - Jan 1 again this year...

• 6 months later...

Hoping Anderson Journal has not been forgotten, ehre are some things I found in its recent issue from 2006/6/2:

TBAs:

Gated homes are now an option in the city of Anderson. Previously, city law required that roads built for neighborhoods be given over to the city for public use and maintenance. The OK for gated communities was created at the behest of Baylis Maxwell, who is building a 57-home, 63-townhome subdivision on either side of Midway Road near Linmar Circle

It's that last one... the research park and it's potential to be a major player in Anderson development in the future which excites me. Not living locally - I can't go to the talk. But Anderson would do well to capitalize more on the connection with Clemson and the desirability of diversifying the economy to add more research type jobs.

• 1 month later...

This was in the Greenville Journal, but I am certain it was in Anderson's too...

TBA leads off with Freedom Weekend Aloft looking to stay in Anderson for at least one more year.

My question is, how long have they been there, and where else would they go? I have never in my life thought that the would consider going elsewhere.

Freedom Weekend Aloft used to be in Greenville, and was moved to Anderson at some point (I think it was within the last 10-15 years, but I am not sure). There have been talks of moving it back to Greenville, but evidently it will be in Anderson at least one more year.

I can see where it might draw a few more people, being in a larger city. But its the event moreso than its location that attracts people to it. I'd like to see it stay in Anderson for that reason. If they can get their downtown moving it could really help...

It would draw ALOT more people in Greenville. The Anderson location is just a bit out of the way for many to think it a necesary trip. I'm not saying I wish it will move, but Anderson will have a major fight to compete against Greenville now that its entered the FWA ring once again.

I miss having Freedom Weekend Aloft at Greenville's Donaldson Center becasue balloons and flying do have some connections.

At this point, I think Freedom Weekend Aloft is much better staying in Anderson. Greenville does not have the sports and entertainment complex Anderson currently has. (Greenville's Municipal Stadium could make a great venue, but it is too small.) I would like to see ANderson host a music festival some point in time.

• 1 month later...

For 2006/08/11:

Articles:

*Clemson's West End Zone project's completion

*Watermarke feature in homes section

*Idled factories receiving necessary cleanups and redevelopments

TBAs...

*Kevin Pruitt is opening a 24-hour fitness center on Clemson Boulevard in Anderson early next month. Pruitt's franchise joins about 500 Anytime Fitness locations across the country.

*Skin's Hotdogs, the original Anderson fast food chain, is opening its fourth location here on Aug. 22. Skin's already has eateries on Clemson Boulevard, the 28 Bypass and at its original location, on Hudgens Street in the Eastside neighborhood downtown. The fourth will be on State 82 North next to the new Bloom gorcery store. It joins a chain that extends to Greenville, Mauldin, Cornelia, GA, Easley, Seneca and Clemson.

*An outdated shopping center on Greenville Street at the edge of the Boulevard neighborhood is gettign a major facelift. Business at teh pipular Bagel and JC's Sandwich shops has been off a bit as entranceways have appeared blocked during the six-week project, but Bubba at JC's says they are open as usual and look forward to being done after Labor Day.

*Look for the locally developed Coach's Low Country Boil Seasoning packs to be on shleves soon at local Wa-Mart, Bi-Lo adn White Jones Hardware stores. The spice was developed by former Morris Brown football coach Joe Crosby of Seneca, who opened T-60 Restaurant on Hartwell Lake in Anderson three years ago. He;s giving $2 in proceeds from every package of seasoning to Clemson academic and athletic programs.

*Low-income dental patients have a new option in Anderson. The Bright Smiles Dental Clinic on North Fant Street serves Medicaid patients unter the age of 21.

Yeah they are delivered. I woud like to get the Spartanburg edition delivered to me, but I want to wait until I am in a more permanent location. I would pick up the Anderson Journal, but I rarely go to Bi-Lo anymore. The new Ingles in Clemson is much better and more convenient for me :)

Tell you friend to go to here tp sign up.

TBA, 8/19

The "high density" subdivision on the 28 bypass is well underway. It will have 90 homes on 30 acres (thats 3 homes per acre). [[FYI from Spartan, the average density for cul-de-sac subdivisions is 3.3 homes per acre.]]

Marathon Community Church plans to build a $15 million youth center in Powdersville. http://www.marathonchurch.org

none of the other TBAs were exciting or noteworthy.

Archived