Sales Tax for Recreation/Beautification

vicupstate

Local Sales Tax for Recreation/Beautification  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favor adding a 1 cent sales tax within the CITY of Greenville to build the West Cleveland Park and build a multi-purpose hiking/riding trail from Cleveland Park to Lake Conestee?

• No - I live in the Greenville City Limits
    • Yes - I live in the Greenville City Limits
    • I do NOT live in the Greenville City Limits, but if I did I would Vote NO
    • I do NOT live in the Greenville City Limits, but if I did I would vote YES

** The so-called Cleveland Park West (aka Mayberry Park) may stall for years unless the city gets some much needed cash. However there are some discussions of using a penny sales tax to pay for it. Voter approval would be required.

^^ From Greenville Journal TBA column

There is a provision for countys to approve a 1 cent local sales tax to build capital projects. I believe there is an effect underway to change the law to allow cities that same option. If such legislation passed, and the City Council placed a referendum on the ballot to adopt the sales tax, would you vote for or against?

For the sake of the example, the funds will pay for the proposed Cleveland Park West and also extend and complete the proposed multi-purpose trail from Cleveland Park to Lake Conestee.

Assume that the same provisions that apply to the county option, also apply to the city option. Specifically, the tax is only collected until the bonds for such work are paid for, or 7 years have elapsed, whichever is first.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they are probably of the same group of people who opposed the stadium in the west end, for whatever reason which got more support from inside the city than it did outside the city. you notice the loudest opposition of city ideas always comes from outside the city and not so much from the citizens inside the city who it is most likely to affect, i can tell you i live just outside city limits, and by just outside i mean if i were to step on the center line of my street i'd be in city limits, and i voted yes, i just moved back from easley and even 15 miles from city lines i still supported city projects. i voted yes because it just plain makes sense.

I voted no! Their is already enough in the tax base as is to take care of things like this. A lot of this money is being wasted on big salaries and luxurys. I say cut back on that crap and stop taking away from the people so much. Now, I am one of the no's that spoke up.

Who gets paid to much??? Do you live in the city or the county?

I also voted no, because I am against raising taxes in general. However, in retrospect, I rarely, if ever, spend money in the city, so what do I care.

Rather than burden those who cannot afford it, I could see a larger, say, 3% tax on things like:

• Restaurants

• Theatre and sports events

• Art gallery sales

• Museum admissions

It would work similarly to the hospitality tax.

I'm not too crazy about paying taxes either but I don't see how paying 6 or 7 cents on the dollar rather 5 or 6 is going to hurt anybody, it makes no sense to argue about a penny, and it is going for something good and not into somebodys pocket. If we didnt know where this was going yeah I would vote no, but the fact is we know where its going and a penny more at the register really doesn't bother at all. I'm more worried about the gas prices than I am am about $1.27 cents for a drink when I used to pay $1.26. JMO

The thing is most people are double taxed. If you pay income taxes and then sales taxes thats double taxation. Do you realize how much money is being collected with income taxes? 300 million Americans times the average taxes paid per individual per year. You do the math! My calculator can't even spit out a number I can read! I say they should turn to the federal government for all of the money that is being collected. JMO

no, the federal governement shoudl only collecet a small precentage of what it cuts today, and the local Governments should collect thier own taxes for all their projects. Right now some states pay more in taxes then they get in return, that is crazy residents in those states should not being paying for another states pork barrel spending.

All taxes should be local but those that involve interstate commerce, transportation and military and leave all the social spending to the local governments and private entities.

The thing is most people are double taxed. If you pay income taxes and then sales taxes thats double taxation. Do you realize how much money is being collected with income taxes? 300 million Americans times the average taxes paid per individual per year. You do the math! My calculator can't even spit out a number I can read! I say they should turn to the federal government for all of the money that is being collected. JMO

Actually, we are taxed more than that even. Income taxes and sales taxes are just the most visible taxes. However, anytime you purchase goods, the taxes that the corporation pays are built right into the cost for you to pay! And if we are talking about gasoline, there is another $.30+ in other taxes as well.

Several years ago, I heard something like we work from January through May for taxes and June through December comes to us.

So for those of you who think one penny is nothing, that is where it all starts. One penny, 2 pennies, a nickel, a dime, almost half of what you earn, so that one portion of the population gets fat on the pork or another gets a free check every month to pay for their cable tv and cell phones while they sit on their collective patooties.

While I am on this horse, I think I will ride it a little further. At the present time, I think that I personally would be in favor of a $.25 sales tax to replace all other federal taxes, because it would actually lower the tax burden on me, and put more of it on those people who cheat on their taxes now, ie. people who get paid under the table, people who do not report all of their tips, etc.

It just frustrates me that when the government wants more money, they raise taxes, unlike the rest of the population who cuts back on unneccessary things in order to stay in a budget.

My dad is a CPA, and he has always said that if everyone were forced to write a check back to the government every time they receive a paycheck (rather than having those taxes automatically deducted), there would be an uproar. I totally agree! Most people have no idea how much of their income goes back to the government.

I am all for abolishing the income tax and instead having a 20-25% sales tax. That seems fair, because people would be taxed on consumption and that would leave less room for underhanded activity.

Now that this thread has turned political, and based on some comments I've seen, I must ask: are there any Libertarians in the house besides me?

I am all for abolishing the income tax and instead having a 20-25% sales tax. That seems fair, because people would be taxed on consumption and that would leave less room for underhanded activity.

Now that this thread has turned political, and based on some comments I've seen, I must ask: are there any Libertarians in the house besides me?

I have very libertarian tendancies. I agree with alot of their principles (less government), but the true libertarians take things to an extreme that I am uncomfortable with (legalizing drugs and proistitution). On that same note, I think that they are more in line with what a real conservative should want than the Republican Party. Bush has no libertairan in him at all, which is why he gets on my nerves.

The problem with the 20-25% sales tax is that lower income people could not afford it. They get most of their money back as it is, and don't pay very much in taxes at all. Our tax structure is so complicated and convaluted that it could not be changed in a drastic way such as that. I am more in favor of a flat, or nearly flat tax. I'm not a opposed to a simple tiered system. I think that if you make the taxes easier/simpler to pay, more people would pay them.

The problem with that, is that when you do that or the huge sales tax thing, CPA's and other financial people would be out of work. You'd get alot of protest from that group (and rightfully so).

• 11 months later...

Archived