Most interesting rumor I've yet heard in 3 years as a resident

KJW

"Dot or feather," says a friend of mine from India :lol:

Double :lol::lol:

(and without thinking of facial adornments when I first read that I was actually thinking "dot com", which helped bring so many (India)ns to NWA in the first place.)

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julles, I appreciate your clarification, as I've referred to "Punjabi" Indians as well.

Question: here in America we have American Indians who obviously are not from India yet are called "Indians" as well. What's the best way to, in writing, make a designation between the two? (For the moment, I'm calling those from India "(India)ns"...not as an insult, but as an important distinction between our American Indian friends who do indeed populate Benton and Washington Counties and heavily populate Oklahoma immediately to the west.)

Colbert asks: "Sitting Bull or Gandhi?"

(The Colbert Report on Comedy Central)

Julles, I appreciate your clarification, as I've referred to "Punjabi" Indians as well.

Question: here in America we have American Indians who obviously are not from India yet are called "Indians" as well. What's the best way to, in writing, make a designation between the two? (For the moment, I'm calling those from India "(India)ns"...not as an insult, but as an important distinction between our American Indian friends who do indeed populate Benton and Washington Counties and heavily populate Oklahoma immediately to the west.)

Good question KJW. I personally refer to my ancestors as "Native Americans" (I'm part Cherokee), and to my husband's ancestors simply as Indians. Dot or feather is cute, too. :thumbsup:

Good question KJW. I personally refer to my ancestors as "Native Americans" (I'm part Cherokee), and to my husband's ancestors simply as Indians. Dot or feather is cute, too. :thumbsup:

This is how I distinguish between the two as well. The "Indians" who are native to our country, I refer to as "Native Americans," and the "Indians" from India, I refer to simply as "Indians." I've always considered "Native Americans" to be a PC label, and I hate PC labels. However as time has gone on and I've met more and more people from India, I've started using the term "Native American" as a distinguishing name rather than a PC label.

This is how I distinguish between the two as well. The "Indians" who are native to our country, I refer to as "Native Americans," and the "Indians" from India, I refer to simply as "Indians." I've always considered "Native Americans" to be a PC label, and I hate PC labels. However as time has gone on and I've met more and more people from India, I've started using the term "Native American" as a distinguishing name rather than a PC label.

Many "Native Americans" prefer to be called "American Indians". There are basically two divisions of American Indians... those who have integrated into American society (Native American) and those who consider their people a seperate nation within a nation (American Indian). Let's just say that "Native Americans" are represented by the US Federal agency called the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) and "American Indians" are represented by AIM (American Indian Movement) which was led by Dennis Banks and Russell Means, if anyone knows who they are. The American Indian Church is another organization trying to restore the American Indian Nation by restoring many of the banned cultures and religious practices of the American Indian. What other religion is banned in the United States?

Anyway, I refer to people from India as Indian and indigenous people of the US as American Indian.

You could always refer to them as "Indian Indians".

When I would talk about my "Indian friend" to some other people, usually I'd have to clarify, like "Indian Indian" or "real Indian" or "original Indian". It gets annoying after awhile.

• 1 month later...

Here's a pretty interesting article that Arkansas Business is running. CAUTION- This might bring down some people's hopes of a Disneyland Park in Arkansas. :P

Mountain View, Disneyland Rumor Proves False

By Arkansas Business Staff

7/3/2006

Persistent rumor has it that some Disney executives were recently in Mountain View scoping out a location for another Disneyland.

Unfortunately, the rumor started in Fantasyland.

The Mountain View Chamber of Commerce folks said they

Well, some good news for you hopefulls out there, is that the Disney Official is an unidentified official, therefore, can we trust his word?

Also, he never said that they didn't have plans to expand in nearby Missouri, all he was quoted for saying was Arkansas. So who knows?

Yeah, it's definitely not happening. I noticed themeparksonline.com has a "is disney coming to <insert state>" thread for every state.

What's funny is that the "Disney to Missouri" rumor thread appears to have been the longest one...shows how frequent said rumors have been.

Archived